• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t think Maddocks really had a good year, but he is still very young and does have lots of potential. Hopefully a stint OS will help him iron out his game the way it helped with Kellaway. At his best he is certainly a very good player.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Two observations -
- normally 3 Hookers & 3 9s is the standard, but I assume they will have difficulties just calling someone into the squad who isn’t already in Europe. So I think they will still possibly take 3 of each and also look to be able to call in Latu & Phipps in need (so maybe Phipps not part of the 36 but still bought in in some fashion)
- the subject of leaving players at home is an interesting one. I do think most/all of these young guys would get plenty of benefit out of getting a proper off-season. However, the flip side of that is that the experience of playing in Europe would be invaluable as well with different conditions and against the different styles of Northern Hemisphere teams. In the end my take on that is it is a win/win - either option has significant upside for the young guys in the group. Even their omission from the squad has plenty of upside in my view as you’d assume that the disappointment will drive their off-season training.

Edit: PhilClinton I believe you posted while I was typing this. Question - has it been officially announced Wilson would stay at home?
Why would they be looking at Phipps? My vote would be to take White, Tate and Lonergan and leave Gordon out.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Half of the names being raised would not make a full strength squad of players chosen world wide including those playing in Australia. People are getting a bit carried away. I think Rennie mentioned 4 OS players to compliment his squad and he has already mentioned them by name.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Why would they be looking at Phipps? My vote would be to take White, Tate and Lonergan and leave Gordon out.
My point was around having players to call in in the event of injury.

I don’t really know how it works in Europe, but I am working on the presumption that if they had two injuries they couldn’t just call some else to join the squad from Australia as easily as they could in the past. Maybe that’s wrong, in which case disregard that part of my post.

But I’m not suggesting Phipps as my third half (and, in normal circumstances he wouldn’t be my 4th choice either - I’d have the 4 you nominated above).

The point of that part of my post was nothing to do with form/pecking order and everything to do with dealing with COVID restrictions on parachuting an emergency replacement in.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is Maddocks at least playing fullback? Hansen is playing wing.
If we want to pick an OS based winger at fullback, I’d go with Luke Morahan.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If we call in a European player as cover for fullback it will almost certainly be Kurtley. I didnt mind Mack Hansen as a player but we can’t go selecting fringe players for test matches just because they have another passport. BR won’t like this proposition but might take some comfort in Rennie being the 4th consecutive Wallabies coach to select KB (Kurtley Beale).

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
36 is really hard.

My attempt:

Hooker - Latu, Fainga'a, BPA
LHP - Bell, Sio, Robertson
THP - Tupou, AAA, Pone
Lock - Arnold, Skelton, Philip, Swain, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
BSF - Swinton, Leota
OSF - Hooper, Samu
N8 - Valetini, McMahon
SH - White, McDermott, Gordon
FH - JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Loloesio
IC - Kerevi, Paisami
OC - Ikitau, Petaia
Wing - Kellaway, Koroibete, Wright, Daugunu
FB - Banks, Hodge

- I would rest Slipper. We may be able to get him to the RWC with management
- if Pone is unfit, I'd take Holmes
- would've liked to take Perese

I believe Holmes is heading home for his own baby experience and not available to tour.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don’t think Maddocks really had a good year, but he is still very young and does have lots of potential. Hopefully a stint OS will help him iron out his game the way it helped with Kellaway. At his best he is certainly a very good player.

Yep, Maddocks head dropped and he started planning his escape. He dropped some high balls early, got dropped, then sent to the wing, then signs O/S

Not exactly a sign of resilience

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mack Hanson is an interesting one.

I really can’t see it being likely - but given that I rated him above Banks when he was here I wouldn’t be opposed to them giving him a try at all.

The fact that McKellar clearly didn’t probably isn’t a good sign though.

The Irish love him based on what I'm seeing on Social Media. They might stick him in a national squad against Japan or the Argies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
If you ain't taking Jake Gordon, take one of the young scrumhalves going around now. Would be a waste of a spot having Phipps or Meehan there.
Disagree. Great for Lonergan to have the chance to be the main man for Brumbies PS, Jake & Joe haven't really shown that they're next in line at this level.

I like Meehan as a point of difference, or Phipps as a break glass in case of emergency option. Meehan is a left footer and very good field kicked (not box necessarily) and a manic trainer. Starting for Gloucester after a couple of years starting at Irish relatively regualrly.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nothing against him as a player, but like Hansen I don't think they are going to be handing Meehan a test debut without a really good reason. I'd have him as the break glass in case of emergency option, I don't think Phipps will be getting a start on the tour either, but if there are a couple of injuries he's the one they will call in. I haven't checked but he'd be close to Giteau claused as well.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Nothing against him as a player, but like Hansen I don't think they are going to be handing Meehan a test debut without a really good reason. I'd have him as the break glass in case of emergency option, I don't think Phipps will be getting a start on the tour either, but if there are a couple of injuries he's the one they will call in. I haven't checked but he'd be close to Giteau claused as well.
Yeah 70 caps, so covered by it and I think you're right on that, he's first call up if one of the 3 you take with you goes down, but there's no point including him in the squad ahead of that.

Reactions: TSR