• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2021

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kerevi, Quade, mcmahon and every other player on dollars far outstripping anythign conceivable in Australia will not jeapordise their future contracts with their employers. They will now and in the future pick the path that is supported by those who pay their wages. If they play hardball say "no we are playing for our country (as per regulations) whether you like it or not", then this could have huge repercussions on their NEXT contract value.

Kerevi played for us and it was amazing and we are very fortunate his club supported it and supported him for the Olympics which they REALLY did not have to do. Aussies attract a premium overseas precisely because they DO NOT normally get released for test windows because of RA policies.

What we do know is that he will be in selection frame for the WC and most likely for the majority of International tests between now and then (but obviously not all). Same will go for Koroibete, and then the big euro guns.

This is a win. May not be a big as a win as we could get, but a huge win nonetheless for the strength of the wallabies (and thus financial strength of RA).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We also have to remember that some, maybe most, of these overseas based players have families. They have all been through a lot in the last 18 months or so.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Kerevi, Quade, mcmahon and every other player on dollars far outstripping anythign conceivable in Australia will not jeapordise their future contracts with their employers. They will now and in the future pick the path that is supported by those who pay their wages. If they play hardball say "no we are playing for our country (as per regulations) whether you like it or not", then this could have huge repercussions on their NEXT contract value.

Kerevi played for us and it was amazing and we are very fortunate his club supported it and supported him for the Olympics which they REALLY did not have to do. Aussies attract a premium overseas precisely because they DO NOT normally get released for test windows because of RA policies.

What we do know is that he will be in selection frame for the WC and most likely for the majority of International tests between now and then (but obviously not all). Same will go for Koroibete, and then the big euro guns.

This is a win. May not be a big as a win as we could get, but a huge win nonetheless for the strength of the wallabies (and thus financial strength of RA).
I get where you are coming from and I am clearly in the minority. It just seems so absurd and uniquely 'rugby'.

You see Ronaldo being leaned on not to play for Portugal because United are throwing a quarter of a billion at him and don't want him getting injured? No. You see Latrell getting leaned on not to play for NSW or the Kangaroos because Souths pay his salary and they don't want him getting injured/available for league games? Fuck no.

Its just real dumb.

Edit: pretty sure Sam Kerr is rolling out for the Matildas tonight.

Last edited:

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Shot: Hodge is pedestrian, a carthorse, not creative, a stopgap until we find someone else.

Chaser: Hodge is injured. NOW what do we do??????

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’m not sure anyone else has put this, and of course there are plenty of downsides to this concept. but if RA really push this issue it may make these foreign clubs with big wallets think twice about picking the eyes out of our talent here. Surely the allure of signing our best test players with less than 70 tests is that they can’t play for the Wallabies as it stands now. I know Kerevi and Koro are freaks, but would they attract the same contract if they had to be available for the Wallabies?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
And if fit, I’d pick Perese at 12 as he’s such an aggressive runner. We don’t need a backline all playing cute, we need QC (Quade Cooper) having a few options to just run hard.
although I guess there are questions about his defence. But defence wasn’t great across the whole Tahs backline last season.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
And if fit, I’d pick Perese at 12 as he’s such an aggressive runner. We don’t need a backline all playing cute, we need QC (Quade Cooper) having a few options to just run hard.
although I guess there are questions about his defence. But defence wasn’t great across the whole Tahs backline last season.
Perese was pretty good in defence for the Tahs. It was everyone else who was the problem.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I get where you are coming from and I am clearly in the minority. It just seems so absurd and uniquely 'rugby'.

You see Ronaldo being leaned on not to play for Portugal because United are throwing a quarter of a billion at him and don't want him getting injured? No. You see Latrell getting leaned on not to play for NSW or the Kangaroos because Souths pay his salary and they don't want him getting injured/available for league games? Fuck no.

Its just real dumb.

Edit: pretty sure Sam Kerr is rolling out for the Matildas tonight.

Yes but when it's standard practice, you KNOW your players will leave to play national teams before you hire them.

In this scenario, they hire NZ and AUS players with an expectation that they are be available for their club and never country. This change means a that player could be of a lower value to that club.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It shouldn't ever be this dichotomy. Which is my point. Even in the most bloated, corrupt game in the world the decision is never one or the other. As a player you are always guaranteed to be able to play for both your country and your club - almost all of the time (some exceptions, such as AFCON etc and even then African players are released to their countries).

Anyway I'll stop ranting about this horseshit now.

Reckon you should stay on this horse.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Its just real dumb.

Plenty of EPL stars have slight niggles every international break happens where their clubs lean on the players and say it's not wise for them to go away.

There was even a shit show last month when the EPL teams went to go play their South American players who were told not to travel for their international games due to the quaratine rules on their return i.e. they'd be gone for a further 10 days. Brazil etc contemplated suing the EPL for allowing the clubs to let their players, play, without enforcing a required 5 day stand down period.

Honestly, this just demonstrates World Rugby should have used covid to re-align the rugby calendars. Like the Rassie hearing, they drag their feet on everything.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Imagine if you and your employer agreed that you would work Monday - Friday and suddenly your previous employer said, actually, I need you for Monday's, but your new boss is paying you salary. It wouldn't go down well and they'd probably want to renegotiate the deal.

Check the WR (World Rugby) playing regulations before employing the player in question. Simple. Or play soccer/AFL/NFL/CFL....etc

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I get where you are coming from and I am clearly in the minority. It just seems so absurd and uniquely 'rugby'. You see Ronaldo being leaned on not to play for Portugal because United are throwing a quarter of a billion at him and don't want him getting injured? No. You see Latrell getting leaned on not to play for NSW or the Kangaroos because Souths pay his salary and they don't want him getting injured/available for league games? Fuck no.

Its just real dumb. Edit: pretty sure Sam Kerr is rolling out for the Matildas tonight.
"Minority", fuck no, I'm with you, Derpus. This petty "ownership" model started by would-be sports goliaths when rugby went pro in 1996 is the start of all this shit. I HATE the shenanigans the rich European soccer clubs come up with for international windows ("injured", "tired", "recuperation", etc) and I can't understand how we've let the European model of professional soccer dictate how we conduct international rugby.

Discuss.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Perese was pretty good in defence for the Tahs. It was everyone else who was the problem.
Hard disagree on that. His decision making was very ordinary and he has a bad habit of skirting the wrong side of legal in his tackles.

Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he has something to offer the Wallabies, but his defence is his biggest weakness right now and a big step down from the other options.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To be fair, Kerevi has been missing for a long time. Left the club early for the Olympics and hasn't been back. They made him available when they had no obligation to. They are paying his salary. For the sake of keeping the relationship positive, I think its a reasonable decision.

McMahon probably the big loser here. Never had the chance to prove himself (or didn't prove himself) this season and with plenty of quality backrowers in the country all ready, he misses a big chance to make a case for himself. I reckon he's played his last test.
Yeh hard to see why McMahon would get any special treatment in area (backrow) got good options.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm actually excited now to see the impact that Latu, Arnold and Skelton have on this team. If they are as good has is alluded to, then our pack will better Scotland and Wales and it will be a ding dong battle with England. With a dominant pack, and QC (Quade Cooper) still there orchestrating, then it shouldn't matter who plays in the centres.
We dominated the Japanese pack but lacked the muscle in mid field we have been enjoying. Maybe Perese comes in at 13?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We dominated the Japanese pack but lacked the muscle in mid field we have been enjoying. Maybe Perese comes in at 13?

Eh? Over Ikitau? or Paisami?

We lacked muscle in the forward pods too, especially the locks. Suspect Japan targeted outside that area. Hooper also had a quiet night in D.

I'd take Kerevi back in a heartbeat. But 13 does not need change, and we have options at 12. Options that will have to do. Perese would come in at 12 I reckon, and may well get his chance in time.