• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
and makes some valid points. A Brumby heavy squad and coaching team has seen us to one of the worst years in the Wallaby professional era.

Does he? That's not exactly a solid argument, and certainly not one Smith makes a reasonable case for...

I hesitated to click the link this morning because Wayne Smith lost his marbles some time ago and comes up with these nonsensical rants that often go nowhere, occasionally littered with parochialism, that seemed to have spilled out of his brain when he couldn't sleep the night before, although the past month has mostly been focused on why Rennie hasn't yet selected Vunivalu, Jock Campbell or Hamish Stewart...

There's no mention of any Melbourne statues, or how he used to wear an onion on his belt... but it's a fairly embarrassing attempt at journalism.

I'd expect it from some posters on this forum, but not someone being paid to write one article a week.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Does he? That's not exactly a solid argument, and certainly not one Smith makes a reasonable case for...

I hesitated to click the link this morning because Wayne Smith lost his marbles some time ago and comes up with these nonsensical rants that often go nowhere, occasionally littered with parochialism, that seemed to have spilled out of his brain when he couldn't sleep the night before, although the past month has mostly been focused on why Rennie hasn't yet selected Vunivalu, Jock Campbell or Hamish Stewart...

There's no mention of any Melbourne statues, or how he used to wear an onion on his belt... but it's a fairly embarrassing attempt at journalism.

I'd expect it from some posters on this forum, but not someone being paid to write one article a week.
Even if Smith is off the mark (he'd have to be, he writes for NewsCorp, right?), the one comment from Reg on it probably warrants further investigation:
A Brumby heavy squad and coaching team has seen us to one of the worst years in the Wallaby professional era.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If he wants to make that point, surely he has to expand on it.

Who are the Brumbies who haven't warranted selection?

We've used three Brumbies props who are clearly in our top 5 props and largely have remained injury free this season while Bell and Tupou have both missed time.
We've used three Brumbies hookers with the second and third really only getting a crack because Porecki and/or Fainga'a were injured.
We've used three Brumbies locks and somewhat that has been because other locks (or those Brumbies ones) have been injured or suspended. No one is really arguing that they're not in our top 5.
We've picked Valetini and Samu in every test (with Samu off the bench in a bunch) and arguably they are our best two players this year.
Nic White has started a lot of tests and then been on the bench. Most people clamoring for McDermott are doing so at the expense of Gordon, not White.
Noah Lolesio clearly warrants selection based on who we have had available at certain points.
Len Ikitau is probably our most consistent back this season.
Tom Banks was an obvious first choice 15 at the start of the season before injury.
Tom Wright has deserved to be there at points and early in the test season was playing well but should be dropped now.
Irae Simone played off the bench when we were missing a lot of 12 options.

Who's the 18th player I am missing?

Laurie Fisher has joined the coaching staff at short notice after they parted way with the previous defensive coach. McKellar has been there all season.

You could write the same article and conclude by questioning how much worse things would be this season if we didn't have so many Brumbies players and coaches available for selection.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BH beat me to it...

The crux of Smith's opinion is - too many Brumbies...

He doesn't specify who these Brumbies players are, although I'm sure most of us would agree that Tom Wright has been lucky the past few matches...

He outlines the Brumbies' success this year as a reason they don't deserve so many selections, citing that they won their derby games by close margins, because that was apparently the entire competition...

He then has his usual sulk about his Reds favourites (as well as Donaldson and Edmed) not getting opportunities, in positions that are actually mostly not held by Brumbies players.

This has been a common thread in Smith's articles this year - he has an opinion which he can't provide a solid argument for, he contradicts himself, and then trails off.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I think it is more around the point that we have a number of players with great "potential" who have not really been given a good crack yet (Tate, Campbell, Vunivalu mainly) and it is almost getting too close to the world cup now for these guys to play their way into the team.

Hopefully they will get a decent shot on the A Tour and then again on end of season tour and we will see if they are up to it.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wayne Smith says too many Brumbies (not enough Reds):

It’s a valid point.
The wallabies suck and the team is littered with the players from the nations best club brumbies…

if we are going to keep losing let’s just stack the team with reds and warratahs so we can boost up tv viewership numbers

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think you could say that the likes of Kaitu'u or Uelese over Pollard is justified. Billy has quite some potential but has he started more than half a dozen senior games? You could ask the same of Lachie Lonergan who many argue just isn't up to test footy physically.

Likewise did Simone really deserve a start over other candidates? Particularly as he was leaving.

The continued selection of Wright, Swain and White has to be question given their significant lapses.

Even Ryan Lonergan being picked in the Wallaby training squad and as captain of Aussie A is head shakingly confusing at a minimum.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think you could say that the likes of Kaitu'u or Uelese over Pollard is justified. Billy has quite some potential but has he started more than half a dozen senior games? You could ask the same of Lachie Lonergan who many argue just isn't up to test footy physically.

Likewise did Simone really deserve a start over other candidates? Particularly as he was leaving.

The continued selection of Wright, Swain and White has to be question given their significant lapses.

Even Ryan Lonergan being picked in the Wallaby training squad and as captain of Aussie A is head shakingly confusing at a minimum.

You wouldn't select Kaitu'u over Pollard based on their respective form this year...

Simone didn't start - he was on the bench after we'd lost Kerevi and Paisami... and now it looks like we'll require him on the Spring tour, so it was probably the correct decision in hindsight to include him in the squad.

White was clearly our best halfback until he had a stinker against SA, and then was dropped the week after and put in a good performance off the bench.

Swain was worth persisting with because he's clearly one of our top locks... IMO the best performance by a Wallaby lock this year when we beat Argentina. The constant injuries, suspensions and availability of our locks has really made it difficult to settle on our best combination and develop some consistency there.

Wright... I think we all agree it's surprising they've stuck with him the last few games - had a really good start to the test season but has really gone off the rails.

Is Jason Gilmore responsible for Lonergan captaining Australia A?

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

If we'd used 15 or 16 Brumbies by selecting someone other than Pollard and Simone to play a test off the bench during an injury crisis we'd still be in exactly the same situation.

Maybe we are defaulting to Brumbies when a different selection wouldn't be any worse and/or could make more sense, but I don't think it furthers the argument that the Wallabies have had a terrible season on the back of selecting too many Brumbies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s a valid point.
The wallabies suck and the team is littered with the players from the nations best club brumbies…

if we are going to keep losing let’s just stack the team with reds and warratahs so we can boost up tv viewership numbers
Ouch…..That one is going to strike a cord in this place!

It appears as though Rennie has favoured picking Brumbies, mostly justified I might say, but has tried to make them play a different brand of footy. The injury toll has been horrific this year and gives him a pass IMHO. We have been losing more than we would have liked but have been building depth. With our first choice team on the park it does not appear as ACT top heavy and it would compete with any other side every day.

The Brumbies have the most depth and so he has been looking there. He also has two Brumbies assistants(one ex) who know all the players there well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is it also true that Uelese wants to play for Samoa?

I haven't read anything official but there's been a few posts on here alluding to it.

If that's why he's not involved in Australia A, then surely he wouldn't have been considered for a late Wallaby call up?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

On form both Pollard & Lonergan deserve their spot. Kaitu’u was poor this season and Uelese has had plenty of chances and taken none

Simone never started, and he’s been the form 12 in Australia for the last 3 years so seems a strange guy to complain about

Wright is rocks & Diamonds yes, but people acting as if he isn’t a good player on his day. Played well vs England and in the first Argentina test. Or are we only allowed to mention bad moments?

After watching Holloway flounder in test rugby, you really think Swain is not a better option?

Frost & Lolesio can barely make the team and we are claiming a Brumbies bias??

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Uelese got canned after a really good performance against the ABs last year. He should have been third cab off the rank, or at least on the bench when either FF (Folau Fainga'a) or Porecki were not available. He came off the bench behind BPA last year. He may have some issues, but they all do. He is very strong in the scrum. I’d pick him over Lonergan and Pollard every day.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is it also true that Uelese wants to play for Samoa?

I haven't read anything official but there's been a few posts on here alluding to it.

If that's why he's not involved in Australia A, then surely he wouldn't have been considered for a late Wallaby call up?
I'd probably swing that around and say he's decided to have a run for Samoa because he's been overlooked in the Wallabies squad as the first choice Rebels hooker by the Brumbies 4th choice hooker