• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
For Hoopers own well-being, I hope they aren’t rushing him back. I think he deserves a full off-season away from rugby just to ensure he is fit and healthy of body and mind.
According to the article I read in the Oz, he wants to tour, but accepts there are two incumbents who have strong claims to the #7 jersey.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
For Hoopers own well-being, I hope they aren’t rushing him back. I think he deserves a full off-season away from rugby just to ensure he is fit and healthy of body and mind.

I really hope they wouldn't apply any pressure to him, as mentioned above the backrow isn't our problem and Samu and McReight have handled themselves well.

As much as he's been a great player for many years, I don't think his presence in the team is 'talismanic', as in I can't see us magically becoming a better team just because he's back, our issues run far deeper.

Keep him on ice until next year and let him finish up at the RWC if that's what he chooses.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ball would be completely in his court no?
No, the organisation needs to conduct their own due diligence and make a decision which is best for Michael, even if he thinks wants to return for the tour.

I worked in an organisation with a lot of mental health concerns; the subject of a royal commission currently. A key outcome is individuals will push themselves past breaking points if given the choice, and it was a failure of the hierarchy by accepting this, despite the warning signs because it benefited the organisations needs, at the detriment of the members own mental health.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
No, the organisation needs to conduct their own due diligence and make a decision which is best for Michael, even if he thinks wants to return for the tour.

I worked in an organisation with a lot of mental health concerns; the subject of a royal commission currently. A key outcome is individuals will push themselves past breaking points if given the choice, and it was a failure of the hierarchy by accepting this, despite the warning signs because it benefited the organisations needs, at the detriment of the members own mental health.
You’re right. Mental health is still not really understood and it effects each individual differently. I admire Hoops because as a ‘tough rugby player’ to acknowledge he needed a break probably would not have been a straight forward decision for him. Not many in his position may have thought they could do that. Go Hoops, you’re a legend.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
You’re right. Mental health is still not really understood and it effects each individual differently. I admire Hoops because as a ‘tough rugby player’ to acknowledge he needed a break probably would not have been a straight forward decision for him. Not many in his position may have thought they could do that. Go Hoops, you’re a legend.
Also massive commendations to Rugby AU / Wallabies for how it's been managed and communicated with transparency and public support right from the get go. It's the model all sporting teams/orgs should take here on out (if the individual consents to it, of course)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
On Hoops, also you don't want the same thing happened where the team has been training together then your captain and best pulls out of the starting team 36 hours before the test. So yeah, due diligence sounds good.

Also, yeah Wright has had his chance for now, though I do feel a bit bad for him about the quick tap. NZ do that shit all the time and score 7 points off it. I guess don't do it if your team is shit and needs to play the percentage game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The fact that he left on his own doing says he’ll come back when he feels ready and he won’t be pressured.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Bell, Porecki, Allan (C), Neville, Frost, Valetini, Hooper, Samu, Gordon, Lolesio, Kellaway, Paisami, Ikitau, Vunivalu, Hodge.
Fainga'a, Slipper (VC), Taniela, Philip, McReight, Wilson, White, Lolesio.

Wright, Holloway, Petaia drop out for mine - discipline and performance related. Not supportive of Beale in the squad but happy to be surprised. Back-up hooker spot an absolute lottery, Tate unlucky. Unsure if Banks, Rodda, Foley, Skelton, BPA available for selection. Jack Maddocks one to watch, back in tryscoring form for Pau, but a few in front of him at present.

Can Wright play 12? Has the ballplaying ability.

Edit: Realised I had left Koro in there. Moved Hodge to FB from bench, Kellaway to the wing, Lolesio to the bench.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bell, Porecki, Allan (C), Neville, Frost, Valetini, Hooper, Samu, Gordon, Lolesio, Koroibete, Paisami, Ikitau, Vunivalu, Kellaway.
Fainga'a, Slipper (VC), Taniela, Philip, McReight, Wilson, White, Hodge.

Wright, Holloway, Petaia drop out for mine - discipline and performance related. Not supportive of Beale in the squad but happy to be surprised. Back-up hooker spot an absolute lottery, Tate unlucky. Unsure if Banks, Rodda, Foley, Skelton, BPA available for selection. Jack Maddocks one to watch, back in tryscoring form for Pau, but a few in front of him at present.

Can Wright play 12? Has the ballplaying ability.
Maddocks must be kicking himself. Moves to sleepy Pau, rules himself out for a season in a team that is getting belted every week whilst if he stayed at home he'd probably be starting fullback for the Wallabies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maddocks must be kicking himself. Moves to sleepy Pau, rules himself out for a season in a team that is getting belted every week whilst if he stayed at home he'd probably be starting fullback for the Wallabies.

Swings and roundabouts I reckon. He was so out of form and his mindset was all over the place before he left.

I think he had to go overseas for a fresh start to get back into the swing of things. I reckon if he'd stayed there'd be every chance he wasn't starting for the Waratahs this season.

I'd put him in a similar boat to Kellaway. He needed that time away to really knuckle down and focus and came back a much better player.

Hopefully Maddocks does the same.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
I think it's simple logic. Teams are playing smarter now it's in the professional era.

I think the stats are clear if you kick it 40metres the opposition have an easy catch and run it back 15m = 25m gain but loss of possession.

If you box kick = the same 25m gain but a chance of regather or putting immediate pressure on the catcher.

So it doesn't really make sense kicking long anymore, your just gifting possession, unless it's an immediate pressure reliever in your own 22, but then your still going to go for touch.

To add to that, teams fighting for territory or wanting to exit there own halves, box kicks seem the easiest and most effective way to do that. But yes I agree, also the most boring.
I agree with Lightblue and I raised this a few weeks ago. The box kick is overused and largely ineffective IMO. The Wallabies that find it hard enough to score points without gifting the pill straight back to the opposition in an attacking position in our own half. We need to be more creative and find more attacking and effective ways to exit our half with the ball in our hands. Otherwise use the box kick sparingly and compete to try and get it back as opposed to just kicking it down the opposing 15’s throat just about every time.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Saw somewhere that the Wallabies didn't score a single rolling maul try all RC.

Make of that what you will.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
On Hoops, also you don't want the same thing happened where the team has been training together then your captain and best pulls out of the starting team 36 hours before the test. So yeah, due diligence sounds good.

Also, yeah Wright has had his chance for now, though I do feel a bit bad for him about the quick tap. NZ do that shit all the time and score 7 points off it. I guess don't do it if your team is shit and needs to play the percentage game.
The difference is the All Blacks all know that a quick tap is always the first option if it is on… and they all react accordingly. We don’t.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The difference is the All Blacks all know that a quick tap is always the first option if it is on… and they all react accordingly. We don’t.
He was too far away from the line and there were too many covering defenders who were already 10 back for it to have been even the fifth best option. Seriously wouldve preferred an up and under.

Bloke doesn't have a rugby head.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wayne Smith says too many Brumbies (not enough Reds):

One wonders, too, how far Rennie will push his obsession with Brumbies players.

By my calculations, he has chosen 18 of the Brumbies’ 35-man squad to play for Australia. That is a better than one-in-two chance of representing your country if you play for the ACT.

Additionally, Hudson Creighton, Rory Scott and Ryan Lonergan have been named in Australia A, along with “established” fellow Brumbies players Tom Banks, Nick Frost, Lachie Lonergan, Caderyn Neville, Billy Pollard and Darcy Swain.

Nor, by the by, should we explore the moral dilemmas raised by Swain’s Australia A selection.

No one is denying the Brumbies were the best Australian outfit during the trans-Tasman round when, frankly, the Waratahs and Reds were hard-hit by injuries.

But they only defeated the Tahs 27-20 in their one local derby, while squaring the series with Queensland. They were well beaten in Brisbane, 21-7, while the Canberra match was decided on the bell by Brumbies five-eighth Rodney Iona holding back Fraser McReight for a 16-12 win.

Were it not for Iona’s actions, Brad Thorn would have led Dan McKellar 8-5 in head-to-head coaching clashes. Nor should we forget that this season the Brumbies edged out the Western Force 39-38 and scraped home 29-23 against the Melbourne Rebels.

In short, the Brumbies, while undoubtedly the best local side this year, did not have a monopoly on all the best players, certainly not to the degree reflected in Wallabies selections. Despite all the warnings, we have reached the end of the southern hemisphere season still no clearer of the merits of Tate McDermott, Edmed, Donaldson, Suliasi Vunivalu, Jock Campbell, and Perth-bound Stewart.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hamish Stewart is the logical slot in at 12, he is signed up in Aus, very solid and not crap

But "if" Lolesio is committed to the 10 slot (and i would) then Simone is the obvious for 12 choice along with White @ 9