• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
That looks to be precisely the game plan the Wallabies had in every test match. Box kicks can be handy if the chase is good and the chaser actually competes for the ball and maybe sometimes wins it back. But our chasers rarely compete and we only regain possession if the opposition catcher spills it. We only seem to do half a job with that aspect of the plan. And the interminable pick and drives or hit ups one wide of the ruck are killing us. Get into good scoring positions and the forwards just take over until one of them invariably loses possession or commits an infringement. Get the ball wide and let the backs score once inside the opposition 20m area.
Age old rugby logic though. Forwards don't trust the backs with the ball and backs just want the piggies to get it to them!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think it's simple logic. Teams are playing smarter now it's in the professional era.

I think the stats are clear if you kick it 40metres the opposition have an easy catch and run it back 15m = 25m gain but loss of possession.

If you box kick = the same 25m gain but a chance of regather or putting immediate pressure on the catcher.

So it doesn't really make sense kicking long anymore, your just gifting possession, unless it's an immediate pressure reliever in your own 22, but then your still going to go for touch.

To add to that, teams fighting for territory or wanting to exit there own halves, box kicks seem the easiest and most effective way to do that. But yes I agree, also the most boring.

The long kick is intended to gain territory for lack of possession. If the kick and chase are good, the opposition regains the ball in their 25 and is pushed into an exit strategy. And you re-gain the ball closer to halfway or the 10.

It's all about playing the game in their half, preferably 25. Risk is frowned upon in your own half, accepted the closer to the goal line you are.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Awesome stats. Shows some really interesting patterns.

Foley's error rate still a worry.

Porecki's error rate a surprise and interesting. Makes me lean towards FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) as first choice Hooker. He has more impact around the park and stats say less errors.

Samu, Ikitau, Valetini, and AAA cementing there spots (i swear it's not my Brumbies bias, it's the stats!)
The halves have the ball in their hands much more than most so its not surprising that they are up there in the uh oh stakes. It is surprising to see TT up near the top of that stat.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The long kick is intended to gain territory for lack of possession. If the kick and chase are good, the opposition regains the ball in their 25 and is pushed into an exit strategy. And you re-gain the ball closer to halfway or the 10.

It's all about playing the game in their half, preferably 25. Risk is frowned upon in your own half, accepted the closer to the goal line you are.
I'm surprised this needed explaining, which you have done very well. All the teams above us in the WR (World Rugby) rankings do it much better than us too.

Reactions: dru

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Just wondering if this crop of players is the best running around in Australia atm. Is there any hidden talent or talent out there playing Union not league that just can’t get a look in because of selection bias or who you know or have a fantastic manager etc that are stuck at club level. It’s so frustrating. Just putting it out there.
Based on watching a lot of Shute Shield and quite a few highlights from Brisbane on Stan and the Aust U20s, my answer would be that there is very little hidden talent. There may be some overseas but we may have lost them for good.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper to return for the Spring tour, but not as captain according to Doran...

The Wallabies are expected to receive a major boost ahead of their five-Test Spring Tour, with the country’s most capped captain Michael Hooper expected to make himself available to play.

An official decision is likely to be made late this week, but it is believed Hooper is excited by the prospect of returning on the Spring Tour with a view of pushing for selection in next year’s World Cup.

It is understood he does not want to continue serving as captain, having held the role since mid-2017 after becoming the second youngest skipper as a 22-year-old in 2014. He has led the Wallabies on 68 occasions, nine more than George Gregan’s previous record.

Hooper does not believe he has a mortgage on the No.7 jersey, and instead wants to earn his stripes in the squad following the encouraging performances by Pete Samu and Fraser McReight which have shown the Wallabies have depth in the role.

The Wallabies are in no rush to name their squad for the end of year Tests, with their next match against Scotland on October 31.

Others like Bernard Foley, Will Skelton and even Irae Simone are likely to feature, with Dave Rennie confirming on Saturday night Japanese-based winger Marika Koroibete to be given the tour off after a mammoth year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can we ditch Tom Wright now? For every good thing he does he follows it up by doing the dumbest shit youve ever seen on a rugby field (and this holds from game to game - he keeps finding new ways to be a dumb fuck).

That quick tap was a real 'fuck this shit ' moment and it was game over from the ensuing counter attack. Usually a winger can't negatively affect a team so much but man does he find so many opportunities.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Can we ditch Tom Wright now? For every good thing he does he follows it up by doing the dumbest shit youve ever seen on a rugby field (and this holds from game to game - he keeps finding new ways to be a dumb fuck).

That quick tap was a real 'fuck this shit ' moment and it was game over from the ensuing counter attack. Usually a winger can't negatively affect a team so much but man does he find so many opportunities.
It might very well be time, at least until he gets that out of his game.

I'd like to see Campbell given a shot, or maybe Banks bounces back and Kellaway moves back to the wing with Suli on the other.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why not just start Hodge at 14 or 15 alongside Kellaway?

Shit I'd take anyone. Daugunu, Muirhead, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), Pietsch

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
That quick tap was a real 'fuck this shit ' moment and it was game over from the ensuing counter attack.
The Wallabies will be nothing for as long as players with this selfish me-first attitude are getting minutes.

They do not have the talent of other teams so need to be team orientated and playing the %s to make up the difference.

If you don't get dropped for an act like this, you never will be.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
It might very well be time, at least until he gets that out of his game.

I'd like to see Campbell given a shot, or maybe Banks bounces back and Kellaway moves back to the wing with Suli on the other.
Wright plays like the Wallaby team at the moment. Great and then not so great. Consistent performances and maximising ability is needed but sadly lacking and must be frustrating Rennie. Wright is in the team because he has the ability to be a match winner. His quick tap was him looking to catch the All Blacks napping but did not pay off. I still like his attitude to have a crack, despite other comments calling for his sacking.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Depending on how many players they're taking, I wonder if Gleeson will miss out if Hooper is coming back for the spring tour...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gleeson will go on the EOYT, might not be planned to play but I'm sure he'll go for the experience/development.

I reckon he could start or be off the bench against Italy.

Last edited: