• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Questions over Wallabies injuries​

The number of soft-tissue injuries suffered by Wallabies squad members has left some senior people unimpressed, believing they could have been avoided. The Wallabies’ injury crisis has seen players lost to concussions and blown knees, but also seen Quade Cooper (calf), Jed Holloway (calf), Len Ikitau (calf), Andrew Kellaway (hamstring) downed with muscle tweaks and tears.

The Wallabies were flogged in a mini pre-season when they got into camp and the Cauliflower has been told there are questions flying about whether the load contributed to the injuries. Asked if there’d been a system failure in the soft tissue injuries, Wallabies coach Dave Rennie said they are reviewing the issue.
“We’ve been doing that. We’re going into a bit of detail,” Rennie said.
“We’ve put a lot of time looking at the individuals and everything we’ve done and anything we’ve added into the program just to ensure we don’t have a repeat of that. But it happens in our game. Games are faster and games are tougher, bigger collisions and the risk of injury is higher.“

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Inversely, another headline could be "Waratahs, Brumbies and Rebels players too unfit coming into Wallaby camp".

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
kerevi 12. Koroibete 13. I dont see how we lose
Koroibete is definitely expanding his game and now has a decent pass and kick. He is still best suited to having space out wide but I can see a move in to 13 down the track.
Hopefully we get back a bunch of payers for the Argentina trip.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I’m reasonably content with where we are at the moment. We are building nicely and we aren’t going to achieve world dominance until we can get our best available 23 players into the match day squad. And by that I‘m not just referring to those in the injury ward, I also mean those that have defected overseas or to the other code, and those still in development mode. That’s a project I hope we can achieve by the 2025 Lions tour, if not then then the 2027 RWC. Hamish has alluded to this being the plan just this week. Until then I’m happy just to see some incremental improvement as we emerge from rebuild mode, and take the odd big scalp as we climb up the rankings. I think realistic goals for this season and next are to win the Bledisloe back and make the 2023 RWC semis.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I’m reasonably content with where we are at the moment. We are building nicely and we aren’t going to achieve world dominance until we can get our best available 23 players into the match day squad. And by that I‘m not just referring to those in the injury ward, I also mean those that have defected overseas or to the other code, and those still in development mode. That’s a project I hope we can achieve by the 2025 Lions tour, if not then then the 2027 RWC. Hamish has alluded to this being the plan just this week. Until then I’m happy just to see some incremental improvement as we emerge from rebuild mode, and take the odd big scalp as we climb up the rankings. I think realistic goals for this season and next are to win the Bledisloe back and make the 2023 RWC semis.

I agree with this, I came to post something similar. I think the next RWC is too soon for us and we will peak a year or two afterwards. The Lions Tour 2025 is a realistic goal. Rennie seems to be doing good things, I hope he sticks around longer.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have to say our lock stocks are looking pretty damn good for the future.
Arnold, Philip, Rodda and to a lesser extend Swain all with decent Test level experience.
Neville proving he is capable this series.
Frost showing last night he is capable.

The Brumbies look to be over-stocked with locks. Hooper I thought in his small number of games at super level was better then both Neville and Frost.
Then maybe you got Holloway (although I think he's more of a 6).

Our depth is getting better in many positions.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So how do we think Rennie is going? He seems to have improved the 'culture' around the team and has contributed to the building of depth. While he lost the series he still managed to break the losing streak to England and we were at least in with a shout in game 2 + 3.

Id say he's currently sitting on about a 6/10.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So how do we think Rennie is going? He seems to have improved the 'culture' around the team and has contributed to the building of depth. While he lost the series he still managed to break the losing streak to England and we were at least in with a shout in game 2 + 3.

I think 7/10. I think our lack of cattle is telling, so it will take time to really build skills and depth which you can see happening. The coach can only do so much and everything he's done so far is pretty solid.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Between 6 and 7 for mine. He's improved the culture for sure and the boys play hard for him. You can tell he has their respect. He's also built the depth as you say and we play a more pragmatic brand of footy, as opposed to running it from our 22 all the time. He's done well with the players available to him.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
They are talking about signing Matt Burton from 24 onwards. Wouldn’t mind that he is 22 now so will be 24 then, 27 for the World Cup
He came from union?

Not sure Canterbury are going to be keen to let him go given how hard it was to get him from Penrith

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
He came from union?

Not sure Canterbury are going to be keen to let him go given how hard it was to get him from Penrith
That’s what the fox article said. The bulldogs also have no say in it, he is out of contact at the end of 23, so far he has refused to re-sign with the dogs. Maybe he decides another NRL club is for him

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
They are talking about signing Matt Burton from 24 onwards. Wouldn’t mind that he is 22 now so will be 24 then, 27 for the World Cup

Burton would be a good get.

Skillful and smart enough to play flyhalf, but has the body and physicality to play 12 or 13. Great boot as well.

Considering the money RA and the Reds forked out for Vuni, you’d have to think Burton would command $800k+ if he were to make the move.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
That’s what the fox article said. The bulldogs also have no say in it, he is out of contact at the end of 23, so far he has refused to re-sign with the dogs. Maybe he decides another NRL club is for him
Yeah ok. I'm not up to speed on most NRL news