• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, we finish the England tour pretty much where we started in terms of world rankings. But clearly better off for skills and depth.

The question is "where to now?"

Is it really nearly 3 months before the next test? What do we do with all of our test and Aus A players between now and then? Club comp is hardly likely to help them get better or to stay at their current levels. Does anyone know if there are plans to keep them together and under the watchful eyes of the coaching group? Could they play a game or two between the test side and the A side?

What happens now?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I think they go back to the few clubs in the major comps that are certain of a final position, push players who’ve got their teams into the finals into lower grades and find it too easy against semi-professionals teams that high profile players rarely align with. Pity.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So, we finish the England tour pretty much where we started in terms of world rankings. But clearly better off for skills and depth.

Is it really nearly 3 months before the next test? What do we do with all of our test and Aus A players between now and then? Club comp is hardly likely to help them get better or to stay at their current levels. Does anyone know if there are plans to keep them together and under the watchful eyes of the coaching group? Could they play a game or two between the test side and the A side?

What happens now?
3 months? nah it’s not. It’s 3 weeks

dru

Tim Horan (67)

What happens now?

No. We go backwards by around 0.5 to 0.7 points, same position on the table but Scotland have us within strike now. The team improvement I agree with, but for me Rennie is behind on the basic Head Coach KPIs.

Last edited:

Hogie

Herbert Moran (7)
For me definitely heading in the right direction and excited to see this squad over next year towards RWC. Squad depth increasing and the 2019 Junior Wallabies are racking up the matches and looking more and more at home on international stage. The Rugby Champs another opportunity to develop combinations and with Kerevi playing Comm Games give further chances to Paisami or Foketi at 12. Full back is the only question mark for me whether to go with Hodge or give more time at 15 to Petaia when fit. Personally I would like to see some of the Australia A players rewarded in particular Donaldson who I think is well suited to international rugby and Gleeson who is a star in the making.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Anyone know how the next crop of youngsters coming through are looking? can't just rely on that one generation of under 20s to prop up our entire future so hopefully some more talent coming through.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Burton would be a good get.

Skillful and smart enough to play flyhalf, but has the body and physicality to play 12 or 13. Great boot as well.

Considering the money Rugby Australia and the Reds forked out for Vuni, you’d have to think Burton would command $800k+ if he were to make the move.
Yep his skill set would translate fantastically to Union- could also be an option at fullback.

It could just be the headgear (it probably is) but theres almost a Larkham-esque vibe there.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep his skill set would translate fantastically to Union- could also be an option at fullback.

It could just be the headgear (it probably is) but theres almost a Larkham-esque vibe there.
Fullback for sure but I’d prefer the ball in his hands early and often at 10 or 12.

I think these next few months will probably determine if RA make a strong push for him. No clear favourite pushing to run this team for the next 10 years. Yes some good young talent but if you’ve got a caliber of Burton on offer I think you take it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So is Burton good? Haven’t seen him play other than the last two origins. He can kick a ball high but I assume there is more to his game?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
So is Burton good? Haven’t seen him play other than the last two origins. He can kick a ball high but I assume there is more to his game?
He was in everything. Looks to be good defensively and also has a decent passing game. 10 or 12 in union I would think.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He was in everything. Looks to be good defensively and also has a decent passing game. 10 or 12 in union I would think.

Maybe fullback? My biggest worry with Australian rugby - no sorry. Not the biggest. Just one of many, is that we lack smart game managing 10s. Guys like Donaldson, Loloesio, Creighton, Edmed are just good rugby players. Good skills who can kick and pass so they get put in at 10.

Can they read the game though? Can they understand what the opposition are doing and adjust due to that? Can they change things up as needed because of what they see?

Doesn’t mean they aren’t good quality players but they aren’t the ones you build a team around. I’m hopefully for Carter Gordon (who needs to work on some aspects) although am still a little unsure. Harrison and Pasitoa I think show some ability here. Young Lynagh too although it’s early days for all.

Thank god for Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) probably should have got time at 10 this series. Wish we had a Farrell type (To'omua probably closest?) to run at 12 outside the young ones.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We haven’t had a fly-half with any vision or real game management skills since King Quade.

JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor), Lolesio and Hodge have all very much been ‘structure‘ players.

Disagree about JOC (James O'Connor). Seeing him run a game for the Reds this last couple of years.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
That’s what the fox article said. The bulldogs also have no say in it, he is out of contact at the end of 23, so far he has refused to re-sign with the dogs. Maybe he decides another NRL club is for him
This is Player Manager garbage. He's been having a great season in a pretty bad team (Bulldogs) and had a great State of Origin debut.

This is a money grab. They also said the NFL is an option with his kicking ability....

He's a fantastic player and if a Super Rugby team want to try and get him please do, but it's going to cost you $800,000+ which would be hard to see a year out from a RWC. RA would have to chip in and we don't have time for him to develop for the next RWC.

Rae Rae

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is Player Manager garbage. He's been having a great season in a pretty bad team (Bulldogs) and had a great State of Origin debut.

This is a money grab. They also said the NFL is an option with his kicking ability....

He's a fantastic player and if a Super Rugby team want to try and get him please do, but it's going to cost you $800,000+ which would be hard to see a year out from a RWC. Rugby Australia would have to chip in and we don't have time for him to develop for the next RWC.

Rae Rae
The idea is for the lions tour and 27 World Cup. Also it was coming from Rugby Aus not his manager

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

He's a fantastic player and if a Super Rugby team want to try and get him please do, but it's going to cost you $800,000+ which would be hard to see a year out from a RWC. Rugby Australia would have to chip in and we don't have time for him to develop for the next RWC.

Rae Rae
While I agree, McLennan has also come out and said specifically that Burton is a target

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think QC (Quade Cooper) is our best bet for the next RWC with maybe two of Donaldson, JOC (James O'Connor) and Noah backing him up. Hope this calf injury for Quade is just a unfortunate accident. As previously stated, there were so many soft tissue injuries with this squad.
A couple looked unfit. Are they coming in fit enough so that Rennie doesn’t have to drive them too hard for the first few weeks?