• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Surely after the last couple of trials the NH still aren't convinced - will yet another trial persuade them it works?

A lot of the NH press/commentary I've seen suggests that the NH is not keen on the idea as it doesn't improve player technique - that it's not reducing the incidents of dangerous tackles etc
It is amazing that we have protocols that remove players from games for dangerous tackles, but the victim isn't automatically removed from the game to be checked, and then if he fails the test, isn't required to be stood down for a reasonable period of time

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
It is amazing that we have protocols that remove players from games for dangerous tackles, but the victim isn't automatically removed from the game to be checked, and then if he fails the test, isn't required to be stood down for a reasonable period of time
but isn't that because our protocols are based on the 'potential' for serious injury not the actual injury outcome?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
but isn't that because our protocols are based on the 'potential' for serious injury not the actual injury outcome?

The sanction is because they hit a player about the head and that is deemed so highly dangerous they are red carded

So if getting hit around the head so dangerous, the player should be checked out as a standard step - if we are serious about player safety

You can't trust the trainers/club doctors, take it out of their hands

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Huh? There's already an independent doctor who has the authority to take any player out of the game for an HIA.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Ah I think that's a cop out, England were hit just as hard if not harder by injuries to key players. Arguably their three best. They left their most experienced 9 at home. This squad had nothing on their 2019 squad.

Porter, Freeman, van Poortvliet, Chessum and Arundel all debuted. Tupou himself has more than double the caps than Stuart. Valetini has double the caps of Ludlam. Freddie Stewart isn't more experienced than Petaia or Banks. I think he has 1 more cap than Kellaway. Their backline really only had Farrell with a ton of caps.

We just sucked, couldn't execute and got tactically outplayed.
I agree, the England team in the decider had many rookies at international level, despite that, they found out a way to win

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Whatever happened to Mick Bryne?

Wasn't he suppose to be the best 'skills coach' in the world. I don't think our skills have improved over the last decade.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd like to see Holloway get a chance at 6 and play like he has for the Tahs this year, but I don't think Rob Leota has been as sub-par as some on this site seem to think.
BR: I looked at Leota's stats after a commentator said he was leading the tackle count at half time and by the end he was second in the tackle count and not shabby in missed tackles either. It's the line bending, go forward ball, linking and breakdown work that was weak in all our backrow during this last test series. I hate losing to Pommies and particularly in the forwards.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If weakness in contact is the main issue, then the unpalatable truth of the matter is that Michael Hooper is the worst offender. He simply does not dominate the contact area in either attack or (especially) defence. He may be one of the better line breakers but that is not helping the physicality of the forward pack. The few turnovers he makes does not compensate for weakness at the breakdown that seems to go hand in hand with Hooper's presence on the ground.

Surely, the time has come to move on. Much the same as the Cane situation in NZ. Cane is not the best No 7 available for the ABs; that would probably be Ardie Savea, and perhaps due to a run of injuries, he is not the impact player he used to be.

Pete Samu might make one or two fewer turnovers in a match than Hooper but he does offer a more physical presence at the breakdown than Hooper ever has. Should be worth a trial at least as we continually lose tests with MH in the 7 jersey.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you can find one turnover conceded in the England series where it was Hooper's missed clean out that caused it then be my guest.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
The issue to me is the NH teams have a different approach to the breakdown. They commit bodies, we don’t. We are more concerned about not committing too many players on either side of the ball so we can have structured attack and more players in the defensive line. In attack the NH teams get faster ball and punch holes in the defense, in defense they slow down, steal and throw the timing off on our attacking plays. The refs have more to officiate at the breakdown and may well miss infringing. It seems that’s more effective at the moment, so we need to adopt that approach

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think it is likely to change anything with the global laws but all the SANZAAR nations like it so we may as well use it for the tournament.

Disagree totally with this. We (SH) need to be playing under the rules that will apply at RWC next year at international & maybe even Super level. SANZAAR & member Unions can & should keep pushing for 20-min Red and/ or Orange cards but until WR (World Rugby) agrees to at least a global trial we're just putting ourselves at a disadvantage to the NH.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Samu is nowhere near as good a 7 as Hooper. Nowhere no how. We have some other decent 7s around but Samu is down the list.
He is the perfect bench back rower and should be left right there.

Actually, I'd say based on last super XV season and his bench cameo's Samu is the form 7 this year. Or you could argue McReight had a better Super XV season. But both ahead of Hooper.

Hooper of coarse, has runs on the board at test level, but on current form, i hate to say it, but Samu and McReight are up there. You certainly can't say 'no-where, no-how' when both Samu and McReight had much better super XV seasons.

If Hooper regains form, then yeah, he's the best 7 by far. And by no means do I think he should be dropped, I don't agree he does not have a presence at the breakdown like BR does, I think he is still a menace at the breakdown. But I do acknowledge that Samu's form has been very good this year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If you can find one turnover conceded in the England series where it was Hooper's missed clean out that caused it then be my guest.
BH, Michael Hooper most often doesn't hit rucks. When he did against the Poms, they treated him with disdain, bodily throwing him out of the contest. I'm not saying drop him completely. The way the game is played these days and the way that Hooper plays, ie a hundred miles an hour energy bunny, imo he would be much more effective coming on for the last 25 - 30 minutes when his skills would shine through a lot more. A backrow of Leota/Wilson/Holloway (preferred), Samu, Valetini with Hooper to replace any one of them in the second half would be worth a shot. The others in the backrow are versatile enough to cover 6 and 8 when Hooper comes on.

It is time for a real change up, and I reckon the coaches will be failing us fans if they don't make some changes like I've proposed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Disagree totally with this. We (SH) need to be playing under the rules that will apply at RWC next year at international & maybe even Super level. SANZAAR & member Unions can & should keep pushing for 20-min Red and/ or Orange cards but until WR (World Rugby) agrees to at least a global trial we're just putting ourselves at a disadvantage to the NH.
I hope your argument we're at disadvantage is purely on the fact we might be less exposed to playing under periods with 14 than the other argument.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, Michael Hooper most often doesn't hit rucks. When he did against the Poms, they treated him with disdain, bodily throwing him out of the contest. I'm not saying drop him completely. The way the game is played these days and the way that Hooper plays, ie a hundred miles an hour energy bunny, imo he would be much more effective coming on for the last 25 - 30 minutes when his skills would shine through a lot more. A backrow of Leota/Wilson/Holloway (preferred), Samu, Valetini with Hooper to replace any one of them in the second half would be worth a shot. The others in the backrow are versatile enough to cover 6 and 8 when Hooper comes on.

It is time for a real change up, and I reckon the coaches will be failing us fans if they don't make some changes like I've proposed.

If you went through who the first cleanout from our attacking rucks was I think you'd find Hooper generally tops the count.

Same got dropped in 2020 after one starting test against the All Blacks I would say principally on the back of several missed cleanouts.