• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Staniforth was one of three non-French players to be nominated in the team of the year over there.

We have quite the locking export industry going on. Shame we don't charge.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’m not very fussed by the red card trial, worth a shot. But the one thing I do care is the absolute teeth gnashing of rugby heads from NH. Makes me so happy to see those miserable sods claim we’re heathens who are killing rugby, happy days.
Even SA seem to be agreeing with the NH.

It's not a coincidence that Aus & NZ are the only ones that have to deal with a rugby league competitor.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I’m not very fussed by the red card trial, worth a shot. But the one thing I do care is the absolute teeth gnashing of rugby heads from NH. Makes me so happy to see those miserable sods claim we’re heathens who are killing rugby, happy days.
I actually think it's a bad move, placing Aus and NZ out of step with World Rugby right when the legal issues of head injury / CTE are becoming very hot. It has been knocked back once, there is little to no likelihood that decision will be reconsidered. I don't really see the sense in it. I'm happy to see the framework used by refs / ARs and TMOs in real-time be refined, including the application of HIA..
I think they need to overhaul the citing process, to be honest. It seems to me to be very, shall we say, inconsistent. I think any head contact through a game needs to be reviewed afterwards.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I trust they have been gathering information from these threads...

Yep and I agree with Gilmore's assessment and also Gleeson's gradual introduction to higher level footy. He's one of the more exciting young players to come through our system in a while, but there's no rush. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Wallaby squad next year.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Staniforth was one of three non-French players to be nominated in the team of the year over there.

We have quite the locking export industry going on. Shame we don't charge.

Some superb work by Google Translate on this article about Staniforth making the Top 14 team of the year

"Great craftsman of Castrese domination in the phases of conquest, the Australian mule has multiplied on all lawns"

https://actu-fr.translate.goog/spor...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp"

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He was just awesome. Brutal carrier and physical, like Etzebeth. The Tahs could use him.

The amount of top-quality locks we have overseas is ridiculous. Coleman, Skelton, Arnold 2x, Simmons, Staniforth, Meafou.

Rodda and Phillip just came back.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I actually think it's a bad move, placing Aus and NZ out of step with World Rugby right when the legal issues of head injury / CTE are becoming very hot. It has been knocked back once, there is little to no likelihood that decision will be reconsidered. I don't really see the sense in it. I'm happy to see the framework used by refs / ARs and TMOs in real-time be refined, including the application of HIA..
I think they need to overhaul the citing process, to be honest. It seems to me to be very, shall we say, inconsistent. I think any head contact through a game needs to be reviewed afterwards.
I feel like the whole red card and CTE argument is getting a lot of issues thrown into the mixed.

We know that the tackler is more likely to sustain a head injury than the tackled player. Looking at the big names that are in the paper about the class action against the RFU, Steve Thompson paints the picture of passing out during scrum sessions. While I didn't follow Carl Hayman's career closely, I'm not sure how many head high tackles he copped.

Then, we saw recently in the Irish series, how little Ireland cares about protocols as Sexton was clearly concussed after the first game, but turned up at the second match.

So, I think globally, we need to take a step back and access, is this change to the red card really going to increase where the CTE harm is really occurring, or have we seen with the current status quo that the current red card is actually failing to protect where harm is occuring?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
not always the irish rarely committed many/any versus NZ and simply fanned out to cut off their runners, brilliant video analysis over on the NZ match thread
There is not one idea to bind them all. You need to be able to adjust to the circumstances (preferably on the run) but just staying out of the breakdown means that there is a large area of the game you are not competing in.
We need to be flexible and trained well enough to turn it on and off and to know when to attack, when to counter ruck and when to leave it alone.
It's an old fashioned idea I know but, Captains call?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I feel like the whole red card and CTE argument is getting a lot of issues thrown into the mixed.

We know that the tackler is more likely to sustain a head injury than the tackled player. Looking at the big names that are in the paper about the class action against the RFU, Steve Thompson paints the picture of passing out during scrum sessions. While I didn't follow Carl Hayman's career closely, I'm not sure how many head high tackles he copped.

Then, we saw recently in the Irish series, how little Ireland cares about protocols as Sexton was clearly concussed after the first game, but turned up at the second match.

So, I think globally, we need to take a step back and access, is this change to the red card really going to increase where the CTE harm is really occurring, or have we seen with the current status quo that the current red card is actually failing to protect where harm is occuring?
These are the things that need to be tightened up.
I think also the tackle is an obvious area where collisions occur so that makes it a big focus - "We are doing something!".
And they should - this issue is important. There would be plenty of deceleration-type injuries that occur in a rugby game at the top level that are not noticed, nor sanctioned. So this won't, by any means, cover it all.
But WR (World Rugby) needs to be seen to be doing something. I don't think it serves Aus and NZ well to be seen as out of step.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
These are the things that need to be tightened up.
I think also the tackle is an obvious area where collisions occur so that makes it a big focus - "We are doing something!".
And they should - this issue is important. There would be plenty of deceleration-type injuries that occur in a rugby game at the top level that are not noticed, nor sanctioned. So this won't, by any means, cover it all.
But WR (World Rugby) needs to be seen to be doing something. I don't think it serves Aus and NZ well to be seen as out of step.
Innefective action taken purely for the purposes of public perception/mounting a legal defence against a claim of negligence could stand in the way of meaningful reform that actually makes the game safer.

I'd like to see the data on collisions/concussions since the uptick in red cards and whether there has been any positive improvement. My gut says there are as many head injuries as ever.

If the data doesn't really show an improvement over a reasonable period of time (say five years) and they don't take other actions I doubt the new high contact framework will be enough to demonstrate they've taken reasonable steps to address the known risks.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Innefective action taken purely for the purposes of public perception/mounting a legal defence against a claim of negligence could stand in the way of meaningful reform that actually makes the game safer.

I'd like to see the data on collisions/concussions since the uptick in red cards and whether there has been any positive improvement. My gut says there are as many head injuries as ever.

If the data doesn't really show an improvement over a reasonable period of time (say five years) and they don't take other actions I doubt the new high contact framework will be enough to demonstrate they've taken reasonable steps to address the known risks.
It's a contact sport, they cannot eliminate all the risks. Well, they can - just ban rugby.
The number of reported head injuries can be related to many factors - are there more actually happening; are they just recognising more? Any changes made now may take decades to mature in terms of outcomes given the lead-time until symptoms of CTE may occur.
I think WR (World Rugby) feels they have to be pro-active, and fair enough. They do.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Not surprisingly Joseph Sua'ali'i is RA's no. 1 target with PE money. Mclennan seems quite open and brash they will target League players for 2025 and 2027. I wonder how this backline of former schoolboy Rugby players would go against the current lot.
10. Sam Walker/Luke Keary 11. Tolu Koula 12. Joseph Sua'ali'i 13. Murray Taulagi 14. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 15. Kalyn Ponga

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/27f8aa7cc2245d9082e87e8b8d6dc87a

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
13. Dane Gagai
9. Joey Lussick
8. Angus Crichton
7. Cam Murray
6. Patrick Carrigan
5. Toby Rudolf
4. Jaydn Su'a

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not surprisingly Joseph Sua'ali'i is Rugby Australia's no. 1 target with private equity money. Mclennan seems quite open and brash they will target League players for 2025 and 2027. I wonder how this backline of former schoolboy Rugby players would go against the current lot.
10. Sam Walker/Luke Keary 11. Tolu Koula 12. Joseph Sua'ali'i 13. Murray Taulagi 14. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 15. Kalyn Ponga

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/27f8aa7cc2245d9082e87e8b8d6dc87a

Gross.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah not sure how it's gross. Sua'ali'i is the real deal. He's a once a in a generation talent.

We just scored 17 and 17 in 2 Tests at home against England. Not as if we're brimming with attacking talent.