• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’m always wary of league players interest in switching, seems to be their management trying to fabricate demand to push up the asking price for their next league contract. That being said, I wouldn’t mind us considering Burton if he was serious. His core skills are excellent, he doesn’t appear to be a controversial personality and today he kicked 4/5 goals and punted the ball 65-70 metres on the full.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah, I'd be way less enthused by going after someone like Burton whose peak is probably a couple of origins (he'll be gone when Mitchell and Tom Trbojevic return next year). Sualli will play 10+ Tests, and 25+ Origins if he stays in league.

Reminds of when a leaguie was trying to tell me how Folau just carved up rugby and was a bad look for the quality of rugby. Yeah because Folau was so bad at league...

I disagree, I like both Burton and Sualli but I think they provide different things.

Burton will become a great playmaker in the Fittler mould. I think Burton will end up replacing Luai at 6 for the Blues either next year or the year after.

In rugby I think Burton's skill set is perfect for a 12/13/15, great boot and reads the game well. Sualli is such a talent also but he won't be running the team like Burton could.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
13. Dane Gagai
9. Joey Lussick
8. Angus Crichton
7. Cam Murray
6. Patrick Carrigan
5. Toby Rudolf
4. Jaydn Su'a

I watched Dane Gagai score 6 tries in one game playing under a different name in a Brisbane u17 regional tournament back in 2007.

He was approached with a Reds contract not long after (not for the first time I believe) but was already signed to the Cowboys NRL development program and was on more money there.

He would have been great in rugby. Too old now to make the move.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
100% top 2 targets are Burton and Sualli, both still young with a high ceiling.
Next I'd be looking at big Nelson Asofa Solomona, used to play 2nd row/ No 8 in NZ rugby and was an absolute menace. He is 26 years old, 120KG and 200cm tall. Believe he has been in Aus since 2015 so would qualify for Australia.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Much prefer the idea of signing 20yr olds rather than 28yr old leaguies. I'd basically rule a line through anyone over 23.
Agree.

Only caveat I'd have is if they have a background in Union i.e. Matt Rogers had played School Boy rugby and Aus Schools.

Sualli would be the no.1 target for me. He can do it all at such a young age.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Next I'd be looking at big Nelson Asofa Solomona, used to play 2nd row/ No 8 in NZ rugby and was an absolute menace. He is 26 years old, 120KG and 200cm tall.
Big Nelso has broken down a few times these last couple of seasons. With those stats I'm not sure his longevity is great, harder for big bodies to heal. I wouldn't want to see RA thrown big dollars at him.

Especially when you consider the Storm are renowned for keeping players fit and healthy, leaving them could really put his injury woes to the surface, similar to Vunivalu.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am not sure why we would want to spend a bucket on a 'once in a generation player'. We can't make the most of what we have at the moment.
Strikes me that as soon as they go to Europe they improve and we have an "If Only' moment and pay more to get them back without looking at why we can't make better players out of what we have.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
100% top 2 targets are Burton and Sualli, both still young with a high ceiling.
Next I'd be looking at big Nelson Asofa Solomona, used to play 2nd row/ No 8 in NZ rugby and was an absolute menace. He is 26 years old, 120KG and 200cm tall. Believe he has been in Aus since 2015 so would qualify for Australia.

Surely after Sualli next would be Tino Fa'asuamaleaui. His oldman played rugby for Samoa.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
I'd be keen to have a crack at Murray Taulagi. Young, origin player, skillful, big, strong defensively. Option at 12 or 13. Could be next Kerevi. Legitimate rugby junior, Played 15 in Brisbane State GPS premiership in 2016 with Petaia. Brother JJ played for Reds.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Surely after Sualli next would be Tino Fa'asuamaleaui. His oldman played rugby for Samoa.

I really like Tino, but I don’t think he’s worth chasing. I’m not sure his skill set adds much more depth to our upper echelon of backrowers who are already in the side, guys like Samu, Valetini, Wilson and Holloway I reckon play very similar games to what we would want from Tino.

There is a real need for a classy playmaker, who can kick (in field and goals) and I think Burton ticks that box, and Sua'ali'i would be a great addition at 15.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
I'd be keen to have a crack at Murray Taulagi. Young, origin player, skillful, big, strong defensively. Option at 12 or 13. Could be next Kerevi. Legitimate rugby junior, Played 15 in Brisbane State GPS premiership in 2016 with Petaia. Brother JJ played for Reds.
Selwyn Cobbo would be/is a star and is the perfect age. David Fifita would play 100 games at 12/13.

Anyone not thinking that paying the dollars to get the NRL guns across is kidding themselves. I don't think this should be controversial but Aus Rugby with full access to pre-existing NRL stars (not even thinking about changing pathways) would clean sweep Olympic 7s Gold/Bledisloe/World Cup and it wouldn't be close.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
Here's a backline for 5 years time

15. Tommy Turbo (30) 14. Selwyn Cobbo (25) 13. Joseph Sua'alii (24) 12. David Fifita (26) 11. Brian To'o (28) 10. Burton (22)

Others: Cleary (29), Papenhuyzen (29), Cam Murray (29), Trell Mitchell (30), Jake Averillo (25)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
images

images

images

images

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Much prefer the idea of signing 20yr olds rather than 28yr old leaguies. I'd basically rule a line through anyone over 23.

First step, secure the top Union players. Samu Kerevi has to be signed and get a top contract with properly rest and sabbaticals. Only has to play half of the Super Rugby season like Hooper in order to garantize his presence in all the international tests, about 12 per year.

Last edited: