• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale misses,

I'm guessing he's still not quite ready to play in the next couple of weeks.

Originally they were looking at the Bledisloe Cup tests for a potential return and then there was mention of fitness testing to see whether that could be brought forward following some of the injuries and the debacle on the weekend. Seems like it wasn't possible.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Did O'Connor really play that badly that he has gone from first choice to completely out of the squad? If he did, why are Tupou and several others not out on their collective ears? This smacks to me of absolute panic on the selectors part.

I know Rennie is one of the selectors, but who are the others? They're there to provide some level of stability to the selection process. I can understand Rennie having a meltdown, after that game you'd expect him to want to shed some blood somewhere. That's why you have a panel, to provide some stability and continuity.

Well I think Rennie has mentioned a few times JOC (James O'Connor) has lacked sharpness and now he has had ample time to get into form and clearly has improved well-enough. Maybe the others are actually performing at training and just couldn't replicate it in a game. Who knows really.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Could just be over the hill for JOC (James O'Connor). Also he wasn't first choice to out of the squad, he was 2nd/3rd choice to out.

Fair for confusing Gleeson for a 7, I got confused with Gamble too who is a 7. Both young absolute gun backrowers for the 'Tahs who could be Wallabies bolters. If Gleeson is this good at 8 with such little professional experience, I'm excited.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
There must be something more to the JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) scenario? Injured or doesn’t want to be there maybe?
Put this in the Reds thread but also relevant here. A bit ominous isn't it

1660804821208.png

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I am one of the few that don’t have an issue with Foley. He has a very good all around running and passing game but his kicking is a bit off. Maybe its better now?
I’d play Hodge at 15 if Foley gets a run.
My guess is that Rennie will bring him in and have a look at him in camp, as he did with Quade.
If he plays true to earlier form he should be good for at least one try per test for the opposition with a misdirected pass, usually along the ground, going well behind where the No 15 might stand if not already up in the backline. His long passing game used to be shite.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If he plays true to earlier form he should be good for at least one try per test for the opposition with a misdirected pass, usually along the ground, going well behind where the No 15 might stand if not already up in the backline. His long passing game used to be shite.
You're right BR. He was so totally crap that he couldn't even organise a team to win Super Rugby! Oh...yeah, that's right he did. Something no Brumby 10 has managed to do since.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Rennie explicitly said it was form related.

He's not going to say that if JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is actually injured and was left out on that basis.

I wouldn't have picked it. I also didn't think JOC (James O'Connor) was that bad. But I like how Rennie isn't afraid to drop a player when need be. All eye's on Lolesio now and potentially Foley.

Reactions: dru

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You're right BR. He was so totally crap that he couldn't even organise a team to win Super Rugby! Oh...yeah, that's right he did. Something no Brumby 10 has managed to do since.

He wasn't exactly the primary organiser of the team. He played in a very structured team (kind like Lolesio and the Brumbies actually). Also, Beale did much of the playmaking at 12.

He did his job well-enough. But was never and will never be one of the greats.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
And no Tahs 10 either if I'm not mistaken. Don't know what the form of Brumbies Nos 10s has to do with Foley's very poor passing incidents. But I'm sure you will enlighten me. I might just not read it though.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I've gone through the season and I reckon Gleeson has 7 Super Rugby caps. All but one were off the bench.
ItsRugby and Rugby Pass both have him at 8 caps, but yes only one starting. Mighty impressive. Would be a good bit of trivia to know if anyone's had fewer before being brought into the squad

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
ItsRugby and Rugby Pass both have him at 8 caps, but yes only one starting. Mighty impressive. Would be a good bit of trivia to know if anyone's had fewer before being brought into the squad

I'm guessing that could include the Force game where he got selected on the bench but didn't get on the field.