• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Both are listed to start in the Shute Shield prelims. Gleeson not.

Start the conspiracies.
An observer commented that it was surprising that Gleeson did not start last Saturday, he got some time in the second half (and blitzed 'em). As a Woodies supporter I wish him all the best!

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If he loves rugby he must love Eastwood.
Good to see you back on the Woodies train. You were off them a couple weeks ago on the Shute Shield thread.
- Must be a Tahs fan. Back on them when the goings good.

JOC (James O'Connor) hasn't had a good game since Hong Kong. He's lost his speed so can't play anywhere but 10 now. Surprised by Gleeson but I like it

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
ItsRugby and Rugby Pass both have him at 8 caps, but yes only one starting. Mighty impressive. Would be a good bit of trivia to know if anyone's had fewer before being brought into the squad

As a few have mentioned, Git's was capped very early.

I'd argue though if Gleeson gets some Wallabies caps this year and brains it, that could be more impressive than Gits.

20 years ago Australia didn't have the same pathways, scouting and development programs in place like they do now, making what Giteau did impressive, but I think more likely to happen for that era.

Gleeson seems like a big outlier in the modern game, he's probably only played 100mins of professional rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Very true. Who is your pick out of the Tahs youngsters? Edmed?
It seems Harrison has really fallen out of contention, I thought he was good enough and young enough to persist with.

I still think Harrison is the most talented of the three. How he comes back next year from a pretty brutal injury will be crucial.

He was back in the starting XV at fullback with Donaldson on the bench this season. He's definitely still up the pecking order at the Tahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If we are going to have a Aus A program, we need to reward form demonstrated in that program, especially when the wobs pigs were so passive in contact in the last game

Gleeson was a revelation in Aus A, he bossed bigger units and played angry - something the current test back row could do with and is his point of difference

For all the Foley hate, we ain't got anyone from that Aus A program that demonstrated the type of form deserving of a call up at 10, if Rennie has concerns over JOC (James O'Connor) then Foley is a logical option. He was never crap, but he was never of the quality of a Larkham or Quade in form and tackling.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Some interesting comments from Rennie in the Brisbane times:

“James got a crack in the last Test, we thought his experience would be very important, and we wanted him to drive the ship, allow us to implement our plan, and we were pretty clunky, to be honest, [and] lacked cohesion, and so he’s missed out on selection,” Rennie said.

So it seems JOC (James O'Connor) was picked ahead of Lolesio primarily for his experience and leadership, so the leader of the pack takes primary responsibility for that poor performance. So there's definitely more logic too it then simply saying "well he didn't play that poorly", it's clear he had a role in the team and didn't execute.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They are very good but how do they travel? Hopefully similar to Bok sides of the past.
We could really use a win in the next few weeks.
Agreed, but on the flip side, if I was the Bok coach you would want to be working on addressing their less than stellar away from home form

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
For all the Foley hate, we ain't got anyone from that Aus A program that demonstrated the type of form deserving of a call up at 10, if Rennie has concerns over JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) then Foley is a logical option. He was never crap, but he was never of the quality of a Larkham or Quade in form and tackling.

I keep banging on about Carter Gordon and asking where abouts he is on the pecking order?

he had a finger injury when the Aus A program was selected - I have him ahead of Donaldson/Edmed because he has a better package of skillsets.

Will be interesting to see if he is selected for the next Aus A tour if healthy and one of the tahs kids gets dropped out because of him.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

“James got a crack in the last Test, we thought his experience would be very important, and we wanted him to drive the ship, allow us to implement our plan, and we were pretty clunky, to be honest, [and] lacked cohesion, and so he’s missed out on selection,” Rennie said.

So it seems JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) was picked ahead of Lolesio primarily for his experience and leadership, so the leader of the pack takes primary responsibility for that poor performance. So there's definitely more logic too it then simply saying "well he didn't play that poorly", it's clear he had a role in the team and didn't execute.

That's why I suggested just for a 1 off with all the inj's we had go White, Noah, Irae, Len

They have had 3 full seasons of playing together at Super Rugby level

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

So it seems JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) was picked ahead of Lolesio primarily for his experience and leadership, so the leader of the pack takes primary responsibility for that poor performance. So there's definitely more logic too it then simply saying "well he didn't play that poorly", it's clear he had a role in the team and didn't execute.
I think that's fair - but as previously mentioned, the 9/10/12/13 combintation was all over the joint. If starting JOC (James O'Connor), should have considered starting Tate - or otherwise, White & Lolesio.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I keep banging on about Carter Gordon and asking where abouts he is on the pecking order?

he had a finger injury when the Aus A program was selected - I have him ahead of Donaldson/Edmed because he has a better package of skillsets.

Will be interesting to see if he is selected for the next Aus A tour if healthy and one of the tahs kids gets dropped out because of him.

Massive Carter fan but lets be fair he is still behind Donaldson & Edmed atm, maybe if he leads Wests around the park to a premiership chuck him in the squad

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Who knows what the selectors think about Gordon but he didn't seem to have a great season at the Rebels this year as they often picked Matt T (who many would agree is out of position at 10). His form in 2023 and 2024 will probably be the most relevant as you would think in 2024 we will have moved on from JOC (James O'Connor), QC (Quade Cooper), BF and Reece H as options as our No 10. Carter Gordon should be focused on 2024.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Our centres worked pretty well together.

Our back three (mostly Wright and Petaia) were a disaster.

The team as a whole looked rudderless though. We made too many critical errors and eventually the wheels fell off. It seemed like the team rallied strongly in the first test after Hooper withdrew but then couldn't sustain that for another test.

It really seems like a bit element of the JOC (James O'Connor) dumping is that he didn't step up in that leadership role and if he isn't doing that side of things he doesn't bring enough to stay there.

I'd put Nic White in the same spot on the weekend. We need more from him particularly with the absence of Hooper.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good to see you back on the Woodies train. You were off them a couple weeks ago on the Shute Shield thread.
- Must be a Tahs fan. Back on them when the goings good.
I have been on the Woodies train since 1949, when they were admitted to the Shute Shield. (I did not know anything about rugby, but we lived a few hundred metres from the old Eastwood Oval, and I was entranced by the sound of whistles and applause. As soon I was old enough, I waddled up the hill to the ground. We had to wait 50 years to watch our first First Grade premiership. And Mrs Wamberal and I were there!!! But I am always realistic about our chances.)