• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you go back on some of the comments, I don't think anyone is suggesting that there's anyone material that would make a huge difference.

What is frustrating is, seeing the obvious bias towards squad players being filled with Brumbies who shouldn't be near the squad. Those players may have promise, but over the last year or so, they were given preferential treatment.

What is quantifiable is, the Wallabies have a known discipline issue and the Brumbies players are leading the tally with Yellow and Red Cards along with the two repeat infringes; Swain and Wright.

Add in we keep hearing the head coach role is for Dan to lose after next year along with no noticeable difference being made when Dan brought in his back room staff ie Palmer and Laurie.

Dan looks more and more like Larkham 2.0. Touted too early to be HC without the current team humming along.

I'm not saying the players picked or even the coaching staff aren't the best choices. However, your kidding yourself if the Brumby contingent both staff and players shouldn't be scrutinised for the apparent favourtism which isnt paying off.

9bfa64a3edc4d83773b37c9141341370.gif

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The EOYT will be used to bed down some spots. The second row and 10/12 need to be solidified. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Tom Staniforth get a call up. He has been tearing it up over there and is certainly worth a look at 5/6. Outside of him and Skelton I dont really see anyone else worth including. Maybe Simone but that will be as short term cover until Kerevi and Foketi return next year. Hopefully Hamish Stewart goes well in Japan and is included in the main squad.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Jock Campbell was the best Fullback for 2 years running in Super Rugby Australia and that still didn't get him a look in.

Yet, I keep reading about how Tom Wright is a "rocks and diamonds" player and is a "match winner".

No he wasn't. Banks was clearly the best fullback. Didn't Petaia take the Reds fullback spot off Campbell for a handful of games too? So it's hard to argue he could even lock down the starting spot at the Reds.

Wright was the best winger, and his 2 game stint at fullback for Brumbies was better then anything Campbell showed this season.

I agree he should have gotten a look in sooner given Banks is out and Wright was unable to transfer his super XV form to the Test arena (although his couple of games he did well - England test).

I think there are better arguments for the Reds locks or hookers, then there is for Campbell. At least based on super XV form.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It would certainly be a trend, and a consistent one. The issue here is that it's potentially taken a Bradbury situation for Simone to get a call up - he was great in the supe this year but his one appearance in gold and the lack of faith from the coaches is what suggests he isn't our guy. Perhaps this is where we should look beyond the incumbent at the best franchise? For the record I don't actually have anyone in mind but maybe this is where we try out linking Lolesio with Donaldson, or Edmed or Stewart or Kuenzle or even Hodge or Petaia, or some combination of those.

I don't know if it's about selecting the incumbent of the best franchise but choosing the best available player to win the test. Simone is the next best. Simple as that. Who is better and available? No-one.

So the argument is really: should you pick the best available players Or should you choose players on potential for development over the long-term? Basically, do you want to increase your odds of losing this test for the long-term.

The funny part is, Rennie seems to do the former and choose the best available, but then it's a bit hypocritical cos he's played guys like Pollard or Longeran.

Even choosing Frost ahead of some of the Reds locks I thought was strange. Although that selection has worked out pretty well. No-one seems to be complaining about him.

I think Rennie seems to want the best available in the 23, but then he's chosen a handful of development players for the extended squad (mostly Brumbies), and there's been a heap of injuries and he's forced to actually use them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Skelton and Foley seem penciled in, and I think they’d go with Simone as you’d expect Kerevi, Foketi and Paisami to all cover 12 at the RWC, but if there’s an injury crisis Simone is the next best option and based over there.

Other than that, I don’t think there’s any necessity for any more o/s picks for the Spring tour… we need to get some consistent game time for the bulk of our current squad.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Bit left of field but Luke Morahan still starts for the Bristol Bears. Could be emergency fullback cover (he also has a nice coffee shop over there).
I don't mind this option at all. He's a big body that had huge natural talent. I think of the try he scored for the Reds v the Lions which was A LONG time ago now so it makes me wonder about speed etc...

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Skelton and Foley seem penciled in, and I think they’d go with Simone as you’d expect Kerevi, Foketi and Paisami to all cover 12 at the RWC, but if there’s an injury crisis Simone is the next best option and based over there.

Other than that, I don’t think there’s any necessity for any more o/s picks for the Spring tour… we need to get some consistent game time for the bulk of our current squad.
Simone is also playing competitive footy already.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Morahan is a good Premiership player, not in the top 6 wingers, but above average. 5 years ago, sure bring him into the fold, but I'd rather we persist with the young guns from the 'Tahs first.

Staniforth, break glass in case of emergency (which could happen). Simmons would probably be recalled first lol. I'd imagine it goes Skelton, Salakai-Loto, then maybe Staniforth, so doubt we'll need him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Staniforth, break glass in case of emergency (which could happen). Simmons would probably be recalled first lol. I'd imagine it goes Skelton, Salakai-Loto, then maybe Staniforth, so doubt we'll need him.
No one really mentions Sam Carter anymore.

But I'd love to see Staniforth involved, he's been massive. Would give the tight 5 immediate grunt.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

So Newcastle for the Arg test next year?

As Marinos alludes to, return Bled will likely be in Dunners as Sky Wellywood is also a FIFA venue whereas Forsyth Barr is only a training base.

ARSE is an outside chance as I don't think it's being used at all by FIFA & I've heard that Christchurch City Council are considering meeting some of the cost of building a temporary stand & shipping in some transportable corporate boxes.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Paia'aua has also just returned to match fitness after a calf injury, think he was in the squad last year or the year before.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Bit left of field but Luke Morahan still starts for the Bristol Bears. Could be emergency fullback cover (he also has a nice coffee shop over there).
I’ve always thought he was a good player. Scored the best chip and chase against the British Lions playing for the Reds years ago.