• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If we don't open up overseas selections to open slather, will we risk it with just Bell & Slipper + an Aussie based loosehead for the RWC? Scott Sio has just arrived in Exeter I believe.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we don't open up overseas selections to open slather, will we risk it with just Bell & Slipper + an Aussie based loosehead for the RWC? Scott Sio has just arrived in Exeter I believe.

I'm sure the rules will be "relaxed" for a RWC, but I doubt they'll want to go open slather outside of that window...

At this stage they'll likely want 4-5 overseas picks for next year... with the rest of the squad filled in with Brumbies players.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm sure the rules will be "relaxed" for a RWC, but I doubt they'll want to go open slather outside of that window...

At this stage they'll likely want 4-5 overseas picks for next year.
So do you think Sio is in that? With those two fit, I don't think so.

Kerevi, Cooper, Koroibete, Arnold/Skelton, Sio would be the last one picked.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So do you think Sio is in that? With those two fit, I don't think so.

Kerevi, Cooper, Koroibete, Arnold/Skelton, Sio would be the last one picked.

I forgot about Sio actually, but if they only take 5 props he might not make it...

I was thinking Kerevi and Koroibete are locked in...

Quade and Foley if both fit...

And probably Arnold.

So that makes 5 (6 if they want Sio), and I think Skelton is still up in the air.

But I think it's going to be hard to justify selecting either Arnold or Skelton unless they can display some pretty good test form before the RWC.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I forgot about Sio actually, but if they only take 5 props he might not make it...

I was thinking Kerevi and Koroibete are locked in...

Quade and Foley if both fit...

And probably Arnold.

So that makes 5 (6 if they want Sio), and I think Skelton is still up in the air.

But I think it's going to be hard to justify selecting either Arnold or Skelton unless they can display some pretty good test form before the RWC.

yeah reckon its 5 props with Slipper, Bell, AAA and Tupou the four.

The next options will be Pone, Robertson and Gibbon the next in line. Each have something on their side. Pone = impact; Gibbon is LHP (so Slipper can slip over) and Robertson can play both.

In fairness, Sio is better than all three but do we need him when our top four is so cut and dried? It all depends how much longer Slipper can hold on.

Personally, I'd be seriously considering him from the EOYT.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Staniforth also captained Castres (Top 14 runner up Champions) for the first time on the weekend. I'd be impressed if he got in Gold but pretty impressive from the bloke. I was surprised he was made captain because I assumed he couldn't speak a lick of french but he's actually got a semi-decent level of it.

Last edited:

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I like Rennie as a man, and as a coach, and I don't hold him single-handedly responsible for his awful winning record. He has been very unlucky with key injuries and for the most part has preapred a squad where 80% of our RWC squad are locked in, and a nice blend of youth and experience.

With our cushy draw, we could actually find ourselves in a SF almost by default.

With all that said, if we don't win more than 2 games on the Spring Tour, I'd be going chips in on Razor. 5 year contract, 2023-2027. Two world cups, including one at home, and a Lions tour. Spend the Sua'ali'i money on him and open the selections up. Yolo.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
At this stage I think we’re in danger of not making the quarters based on how we’ve been playing. I know deep down we can beat any side but the total lack of discipline and consistency doesnt fill me with a lot hope.
You blokes of little faith…. it’s a long way off…

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I like Rennie as a man, and as a coach, and I don't hold him single-handedly responsible for his awful winning record. He has been very unlucky with key injuries and for the most part has preapred a squad where 80% of our RWC squad are locked in, and a nice blend of youth and experience.

With our cushy draw, we could actually find ourselves in a SF almost by default.

With all that said, if we don't win more than 2 games on the Spring Tour, I'd be going chips in on Razor. 5 year contract, 2023-2027. Two world cups, including one at home, and a Lions tour. Spend the Sua'ali'i money on him and open the selections up. Yolo.

I like this idea.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Staniforth also captained Castres (Top 14 Champions) for the first time on the weekend. I'd be impressed if he got in Gold but pretty impressive from the bloke. I was surprised he was made captain because I assumed he couldn't speak a lick of french but he's actually got a semi-decent level of it.
I'm not surprised he's been captain, maybe from a leadership and language pov but in terms of leading by example, he's been dominant. I've said it a few times, but it's shocking how brutal of a carrier he's been in a very physical league. The Tahs could've used him in spades this year.

Amazingly I think he was the top tackler in the whole league last season too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not surprised he's been captain, maybe from a leadership and language pov but in terms of leading by example, he's been dominant. I've said it a few times, but it's shocking how brutal of a carrier he's been in a very physical league. The Tahs could've used him in spades this year.

Amazingly I think he was the top tackler in the whole league last season too.
more shocking when you consider the criticism of him back here was how ineffective a runner he was.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
more shocking when you consider the criticism of him back here was how ineffective a runner he was.
Its not that surprising that players are able to work on deficiencies in an environment where there are professional opportunities/pathways for coaching. And not just a couple of spots in a handful of teams - it's a whole industry.

Meanwhile - to become a paid coach here you essentially must spend years volunteering or go overseas.

If we wanted our players to actually reach their potential we'd be better off building a two year secondment into their contract - to be play and develop in Europe or Japan (or even NPC).

Last edited: