• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
#TeamPoints
1Ireland90.03
2France89.41
3South Africa89.00
4New Zealand87.64(+0.34)
5England86.25
6(↑9)Australia82.08(+1.43)
7Wales81.28
8Argentina81.21
9(↓6)Scotland80.51(-1.43)
10Japan77.39(-0.34)

Plenty of games to come in North v South, but what a bloody beautiful sight. I don't even care too much if this "Calculator" isn't accurate. Just want to look at that for a bit.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
WR (World Rugby) point rankings are relevant once a year, at the conclusion of the Six Nations. The chest pumping that goes on in between is at best laughable, as exemplified by Wales and Scotland leapfrogging us by literally doing nothing. The formula could do with a work over in this day and age but at the end of February it’s remarkably accurate.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) point rankings are relevant once a year, at the conclusion of the Six Nations. The chest pumping that goes on in between is at best laughable, as exemplified by Wales and Scotland leapfrogging us by literally doing nothing. The formula could do with a work over in this day and age but at the end of February it’s remarkably accurate.

The rankings seem OK for me. What is not laughable is this number. 9.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
WR (World Rugby) (World Rugby) point rankings are relevant once a year, at the conclusion of the Six Nations. The chest pumping that goes on in between is at best laughable, as exemplified by Wales and Scotland leapfrogging us by literally doing nothing. The formula could do with a work over in this day and age but at the end of February it’s remarkably accurate.
The W.R. rankings are relevant once every four years - when the seeding is done for the World Cup.

It could use a lot of work, I don't agree with only gaining (losing) points in a win (loss).

e.g. Japan should gain points from yesterday as they outperformed expectations, the betting line was ~28 and they bettered that by 21; their ranking should adjust positively.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I wouldn’t rule out a good showing this weekend against France and even a win. France hasn’t played a top tier team with their top squad since the 6 nations.
W kerevi and a couple others I’d expect us to win but think not out of the question with our a+ team

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wouldn’t rule out a good showing this weekend against France and even a win. France hasn’t played a top tier team with their top squad since the 6 nations.
W kerevi and a couple others I’d expect us to win but think not out of the question with our a+ team
I don't think this rustiness angle is a thing. We beat England in our first match of the year. NZ beat Ireland in their first match too.

There's so much continuity in sides and camps and constant communication that teams are always prepared.

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The most important game from here is the Wales game. We could lose the rest and it wouldn't matter too much.

Beating a weakened Wales team that have had the wood over us since they snapped the losing streak ahead of the RWC is extremely important.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Let's hope DR at least makes some smarter selection decisions.
The 23 can have only one of Foley or Lolo in it, you can't have both because neither can play any other position except maybe 12.
Even then if Lolo had come on and played 12 it would have changed how the rest of the backline played by changing from a hit up 12 to a second distributer.
Hodge should be on the bench as it gives you so many more options.
He is not spectacular but never let's anyone down.

White needs to start, yes he is an annoying turd, but his passing is sound which puts him up on Tate to my mind.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Let's hope DR at least makes some smarter selection decisions.
The 23 can have only one of Foley or Lolo in it, you can't have both because neither can play any other position except maybe 12.
Even then if Lolo had come on and played 12 it would have changed how the rest of the backline played by changing from a hit up 12 to a second distributer.
Hodge should be on the bench as it gives you so many more options.
He is not spectacular but never let's anyone down.

White needs to start, yes he is an annoying turd, but his passing is sound which puts him up on Tate to my mind.
I think the writing is on the wall for Lolesio.

DR prefers the elder statesmen when available, and Donaldson/Edmed are at his heels. I think both are better (if unproven) players

His performances don't demand selection and he can't play another position so doesn't warrant a bench spot as you say

Apparently he was almost left off this tour.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make the WC squad. In fact I would say that is the likely outcome.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
I wouldn’t be surprised if Noah gets the ten shirt against the French, he played well against them two years ago and his kicking was around 90%.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think the writing is on the wall for Lolesio.

DR prefers the elder statesmen when available, and Donaldson/Edmed are at his heels. I think both are better (if unproven) players

His performances don't demand selection and he can't play another position so doesn't warrant a bench spot as you say

Apparently he was almost left off this tour.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make the WC squad. In fact I would say that is the likely outcome.

?? Sounds like an outright slur to me.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
?? Sounds like an outright slur to me.
Why would I lie about this?

Noah Lolesio​

A little known fact is that Wallabies selectors were considering not taking Lolesio on the spring tour. A few days before the squad was announced, Lolesio was a “50-50” chance of being included, according to sources with knowledge of discussions. The reason why is unclear.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
It feels like the Wallabies could have a great 23, but between injuries and people unavailable for selection we are never going to see it and even if we do it'll be for 1-2 games at most and there will be no continuity.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Test teams rarely (if ever) field their best 23 which is why depth is so important

But it does feel like the Wallabies are missing key players more than most.

How many times have Kerevi and Koroibete played together?

It is a lot easier to live without your 20th+ best players than your top end talent.

The lack of continuity is a good point and why I'm not critical of Arnold/Skelton for their output, because chopping and changing the most technical position on the field is very rarely going to foster a positive outcome.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The most important game from here is the Wales game. We could lose the rest and it wouldn't matter too much.

Beating a weakened Wales team that have had the wood over us since they snapped the losing streak ahead of the RWC is extremely important.
Wales and Italy. If the Italians beat u, gonna go down some steps. U never know with this Wallabies generation.