• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I wouldn't be surprised if selections are open slather on overseas players in the lead up and after RWC23
Is that even a bad thing?

As it stands, our Super franchises salary structure pays the vast majority to a few key players per team and then the rest of the squad is on peanuts, not even including our Wallaby top ups. They then lock down positions in our squads that developing players realistically have zero chance of breaking into.

We always lament the fact that players on the fringe of selection to overseas - Eg Mack Hansen - but realistically, why wouldn’t they?

If the bill for our first XV is footed by international teams, there are so many more opportunities for talent retention here.

Super Rugby AU showed a real desire for a domestic product. I don’t think a few key Wallabies going overseas would change that.

Sure - we’d be less competitive against NZ, but who cares? We’d go from losing by 20 to losing by 40. What’s the difference?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
BR I reckon part of the issue is the communication, Rugby Australia rightly couldn't commit to Arnold because he might not have made the 3 but if everyone knows they're part of the plan Arnold might prepare himself better for the Tests?

I still think Arnold is in our best 3 locks. Skelton, Arnold, Frost and then Rodda are 4 high quality locks.
Swap Rodda for Philip IMO.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

As it stands, our Super franchises salary structure pays the vast majority to a few key players per team and then the rest of the squad is on peanuts, not even including our Wallaby top ups. They then lock down positions in our squads that developing players realistically have zero chance of breaking into.

We always lament the fact that players on the fringe of selection to overseas - Eg Mack Hansen - but realistically, why wouldn’t they?

If the bill for our first XV is footed by international teams, there are so many more opportunities for talent retention here.

Super Rugby AU showed a real desire for a domestic product. I don’t think a few key Wallabies going overseas would change that.

Sure - we’d be less competitive against NZ, but who cares? We’d go from losing by 20 to losing by 40. What’s the difference?
The trick is to play NZ less.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BR I reckon part of the issue is the communication, Rugby Australia rightly couldn't commit to Arnold because he might not have made the 3 but if everyone knows they're part of the plan Arnold might prepare himself better for the Tests?

I still think Arnold is in our best 3 locks. Skelton, Arnold, Frost and then Rodda are 4 high quality locks.
Just on this, it's no surprise Skelton looked a lot better this time when he knew probably months out he was going to be selected on the EOYT rather than last year he probably only found out a couple weeks before. Not just physically too, I'm sure he was part of various WhatsApp groups and meetings virtually too leading up.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just on this, it's no surprise Skelton looked a lot better this time when he knew probably months out he was going to be selected on the EOYT rather than last year he probably only found out a couple weeks before. Not just physically too, I'm sure he was part of various WhatsApp groups and meetings virtually too leading up.
I see Frost as a very similar lock to Arnold, with Frost having more upside. I would not have picked Skelton a month ago, but he has impressed me with his off the bench contributions. The four locks I would be taking to the WC would be Frost, Phillip, Skelton and either Neville or Rodda, throw in Swain and that gives six very good locks.
Three of whom play for the Brumbies.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)

Opening the floodgates for selection could be a disaster. I'd imagine most of the current wallabies squad would look to head os to maximise their earnings if they could still be selected for the national team.

The holes it would leave in our Super squads would obviously provide opportunities for fringe players but the strength of the competition would be compromised and hardly a great way to prepare any of these players for the step up international rugby. Essentially it would be an NRC standard competition. We would obviously not be able to play trans tasman games, the results would not be great viewing material.

We have already struggled with a TV deal, what would be the going rate for a super comp if the majority of our wallabies played OS? Not to mention the attractiveness to the much-hyped PE investment.

Then with the relationship we currently have with overseas clubs and the French clubs lack of appetite to play ball how would we put together a wallabies team outside the July and November test windows? the TRC squad would be lucky to be Australia A quality and further compromise TV/PE/Advertisement dollars.

I think you will find anyway that there is a cap on earnings for a super contract, just over 250k so the majority of the Cap isn't chewed up by a few and is more evenly distributed. The top players then earn their Wallaby top ups.

I cant see how scrapping the Giteau law would have much benefit in the medium to long term for the game.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Those who think the floodgates will open up RA scraps the rule are being a bit dramatic.

French clubs will think twice if their Australian player is now able to be rushed to the otherside of the world. Other nations are starting to restrict via quotas on how may foreigners can be part of a squad and the UK teams are all going under some financial squeeze.

The top talent like Skelton, Kerevi and Marika will still be getting poached, but that's to be expected no?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Did I say it was a bad thing? It’s inevitable unless the structure changes at the elite level.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not sure about that, his strengths seem to be in the wing position, leave him there.

I’d say Tom Banks had the makings of a very good test winger, but was pushed to fullback where he is good at Super Rugby level, but average at test level.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure about that, his strengths seem to be in the wing position, leave him there.

I’d say Tom Banks had the makings of a very good test winger, but was pushed to fullback where he is good at Super Rugby level, but average at test level.

Nah he was never elusive enough to be a great winger.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
So after the year I think our best XV is pretty clear, except for a few positions.

1. Slipper
2. ?
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost
5. ?
6. Holloway
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Korobeite
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Nawaqanitawase
15. ?
16. ?
17. Bell
18. Tupou (if fit)
19. ?
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. ?
23. ?

At hooker we’ve got Porecki, Fainga’a and Lonergan from this year. Lonergan may have just given himself a leg up for 2023 but I wouldn’t be surprised if Latu squeezes Fainga’a out with a big super rugby season.

Frost has now established himself as one of the first names on the team sheet. 5 and 19 are only question marks due to the depth we have at lock. It could be anyone of Rodda, Neville, Arnold, Skelton, Salakai-Loto (if they relax eligibility rules and his Northampton form continues), Philip and Swain. Good problem to have but my money is on Rodda to start and Skelton to come off the bench.

Fullback is wide open and could be either Campbell, Kellaway, Banks, Wright, Petaia or Hodge. My money is on Kellaway, but whoever gets picked there will also decide the 23 jersey.

Reserve flyhalf will just be whoever has the best form leaning into the World Cup. I’m backing Lolesio, but anything could happen during the super rugby season to change that.

Last note. If Tupou doesn’t recover in time then the 18 jersey should be between Johnson-Holmes and Pone. Fingers crossed he does recover though.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I prefer Bell over Slipper.

I think Skelton confirmed he's in the 23. Probably on the bench.
Agreed with Skelton, he was immense in the time he was given this tour.

Kellaway another lock in the team. Surprisingly has a lot of versatility as can play centres, wing and fullback. He was very good in the centres when pushed there against Ireland

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Rebels have a lack of centres so playing Hodge there might do him some benefit. He appears to not be the option for Rennie at 15. So despite what many say in nailing down a singular position, I actually think he should double down on his versatility and put hand up across the backline for rebels this year, specifically 12. That versatile 23 spot is essentially a necessary position in all teams now, perhaps been the most versatile is his best chance to rack up more caps. Would also allow Kellaway to play 15.