• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Following on from Braveheart, my Wallabies squad -- assuming that they open selection to all international players, which I assume they'd be mad not to:

Front Row -- Ala'alatoa, Slipper, Bell, Tupou, Sio, Robertson
Hooker -- Latu, BPA, Porecki
Second Row -- Skelton, Frost, Philip
Openside -- Hooper
Blindside -- Swinton
Utility Backrow -- Samu, Holloway

Scrumhalf -- White, McDermott, Gordon
Flyhalf -- Cooper, Foley, Edmed
Inside Centre -- Kerevi
Outside Centre -- Ikitau
Utility Centre -- Foketi
Wings -- Koroibete, Nawaqanitawase
Fullback -- Campbell
Utility Back Three -- Kellaway, Wright, Hodge

---

Starting squad to be:

1. Ala'alatoa (c)
2. Latu
3. Slipper
4. Frost
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Koroibete
15. Wright

16. Tupou
17. Porecki
18. Bell
19. Skelton
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Kellaway
23. Hodge

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He seems to be the inverse of Daugunu.

Filipo had a proper breakout Super Rugby season back in 2020 and was anointed a Wallabies winger based on that cracking form, he's since fizzled.

Nawaqantiawase had a slower start in Super Rugby and really only got his chance with the Wallabies because Koro was unavailable and there were a few injuries (Perese) and form dives (Vunivalu). He's excelled in Gold.

I hope he keeps the form going and doesn't get too much second year syndrome.
Let's see how he turns up next season, he has been building from a very low base, but now his (and our) expectations must be much higher

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Following on from Braveheart, my Wallabies squad -- assuming that they open selection to all international players, which I assume they'd be mad not to:

Front Row -- Ala'alatoa, Slipper, Bell, Tupou, Sio, Robertson
Hooker -- Latu, BPA, Porecki
Second Row -- Skelton, Frost, Philip
Openside -- Hooper
Blindside -- Swinton
Utility Backrow -- Samu, Holloway

Scrumhalf -- White, McDermott, Gordon
Flyhalf -- Cooper, Foley, Edmed
Inside Centre -- Kerevi
Outside Centre -- Ikitau
Utility Centre -- Foketi
Wings -- Koroibete, Nawaqanitawase
Fullback -- Campbell
Utility Back Three -- Kellaway, Wright, Hodge

---

Starting squad to be:

1. Ala'alatoa (c)
2. Latu
3. Slipper
4. Frost
5. Philip
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Nawaqanitawase
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Koroibete
15. Wright

16. Tupou
17. Porecki
18. Bell
19. Skelton
20. Samu
21. McDermott
22. Kellaway
23. Hodge
You've picked Latu & Swinton based off a lot of promise and form from a while ago.

We have decent depth at 6, Swinton has a big hill to climb to get back in the squad, a task I predict will be too much. He hasn't played in two years, coupled with his red mist and our blindside depth spells no Swinton.

All the same arguments apply for Latu but except we have fuck all good hookers at the moment, so yeah if he has a decent season I agree he will be on the plane.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If Latu puts in a disciplined season for the Tahs and keeps his shit together as he did in RWC19 then he will definitely make the squad. With Hoops keeping him in line it's possible.

Ideally it'd be BPA starting, Porecki off the bench and Latu the third option.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Latu puts in a disciplined season for the Tahs and keeps his shit together as he did in RWC19 then he will definitely make the squad. With Hoops keeping him in line it's possible.

Ideally it'd be BPA starting, Porecki off the bench and Latu the third option.
If Latu manages to get back to his best, and stay there, he would be the best of them. Big IF!!!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
3. Moving internationally isn’t something everyone just decides to do. I’m sure some of the older players with families etc wouldn’t just throw Super Rugby away and move the wife and kids across for a couple thousand more dollars.
What do we think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was offered at Saints and the Reds (or other Aus teams)?

Add in ASY (Angus Scott-Young) too.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One thing I'm really impressed with is his conditioning. Size isn't everything, but a great big player beats a great small player 99% of the time. If I saw someone like Tom Banks on the street in Sydney, I wouldn't even know that he was a professional rugby player, let alone a Wallaby.
Some content on the socials was saying he's squatting 200kgs atm. Very impressive for someone his size.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Tim Anstee would be a rank outsider. But if he has managed to bulk up a bit while retaining his mobility, who knows?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So we've reached the end of 2022. We have four tests before a RWC squad is picked and five before the tournament begins.
<snip>

Like your thinking BH. A couple of thoughts from me:
1. I don't see Fainga'a as a lock in. A possible for sure but not at all locked in for me.
2. Leota? Form is too far back to be considered locked in. With a good Super season? Sure.
3. Hooper is a lock in for the squad, but I'm not convinced right now as starting 7 in the best 15. Starting against the minnows? Sure. Maybe with a good Super season into #7 first team.
4. Let's see how Cooper goes. He has a good record of getting back to fitness, but then has little time to pull form together. I hope he does but it is a huge risk to be banking it. If not Cooper, then bank in Foley. In the squad, First 15 his situation is ditto to Hooper.
5. In the backs, we can bank (also subject to fitness) Kerevi, Ikitau, Nawaqanitawase, Koroibete. And I think Hodge's adaptability and positional cover makes him kind of essential, I'll bank it.
6. I would add Skelton, plenty won't.

Add in Simone as a centre possible.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You've picked Latu & Swinton based off a lot of promise and form from a while ago.

We have decent depth at 6, Swinton has a big hill to climb to get back in the squad, a task I predict will be too much. He hasn't played in two years, coupled with his red mist and our blindside depth spells no Swinton.

All the same arguments apply for Latu but except we have fuck all good hookers at the moment, so yeah if he has a decent season I agree he will be on the plane.

I think Swinton just offers an edge of physicality that we don't get from other options -- e.g. Leota or Holloway.

That said, I don't think Swinton is a clear frontrunner. I'd take a horses for courses approach with him and Holloway, depending on whether we need mobility or grunt.

My squad was mainly based on the ideal outcomes within the parameters of my thinking, so my pick for Latu was likewise based on the idea that I think he has the highest ceiling of any of our hookers and on the assumption that he has a good season.

We really need to find a great hooker, and fast. They are a very important part of the spine of a team. What I'd give for a Malcolm Marx.

I recall reading that Hooper encouraged Latu to come early to training to practice his lineout throwing, and Hooper would come in early alongside him to stand on a ladder and receive the throws. Hopefully Hooper can show similar leadership this season and put the fire back in Latu's belly -- I remember Latu speaking very favourably of the impact Hooper had on his career.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
What do we think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was offered at Saints and the Reds (or other Aus teams)?

Add in ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) too.

My understanding is Salakia-Loto was offered something similar to his previous deal with RA and the Reds to go to Northampton. It did work out to be more than was on offer to him going forward in Australia though, as RA had either reduced or removed their side of it:
Salakaia-Loto, who had fallen down the pecking list under Wallabies coach Dave Rennie and forwards coach Dan McKellar, has signed with Northampton Saints in the English Premiership.

He is moving on a three-year deal worth an estimated $600,000 per-season.

The figure is roughly what the 25-year-old, who has played 30 Tests, was previously on.

But RA believe he had slipped down the rankings, which is why he was dropped last season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So we've reached the end of 2022. We have four tests before a RWC squad is picked and five before the tournament begins.

The squad size is increased to 33 under the guise of improved player welfare (particularly with the 12 day stand down for concussion). I'd expect that this will certainly mean that no squads punt on taking only two hookers or halfbacks.

These are my locks (if healthy). I have included Leota here because I expect him to have plenty of time to return. I have excluded Tupou because I think time is against him.

Props: Slipper, Bell, Ala'alatoa, Faumasili, Sio, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
Hookers: Porecki, Fainga'a, Lonergan
Locks: Frost, Skelton, Neville, Philip
6: Holloway, Leota, Hooper
7: Hooper
8: Valetini, Samu

That is 12 players. Expect 3 more props, 1 more hooker, 2 more locks, 1 more backrower

That leaves 14 spots for backs and I am expecting Cooper to recover in time.

Halfback: White, McDermott, Lonergan
Fly half: Cooper, Lolesio
Centre: Kerevi, Ikitau, Foketi, Perese
Wing: Koroibete, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway
Fullback: Wright, Debreczini

Expect 2 more halfbacks, 1 more fly half, 2 more centres, 2 more fullbacks

The backs are really wide open.

McDermott, Gordon, Lonergan are probably the leading chances at halfback. Gordon has been poor, McDermott has been mediocre and Rennie clearly isn't a fan and Lonergan is arguably the next in line. Wide open there.

Foley and Lolesio are the frontrunners at 10. Donaldson, Edmed, Harrison are outside chances.

Paisami, Foketi and maybe Perese are the best chances for the centres.

Wright, Hodge, Petaia, Campbell, Banks and Beale are probably the best chances for wing/fullback.
My picks shown in bold. I've left Fainga'a there because I've included 5 overseas players already and I think that will be/should be the limit.

I've put in three smokeys from the Brumbies in Hooper, Lonergan and Debreczini. But that's my bias - you can all have a go at it to your hearts' content. An alternative for wing could be Pietsch - another smokey I have a lot of time for.

What I do think, is that the Brumbies and Tahs will battle out for the top Aus Super Rugby side next year, so quite likely that any additions will come from those teams.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Like your thinking BH. A couple of thoughts from me:
1. I don't see Fainga'a as a lock in. A possible for sure but not at all locked in for me.
2. Leota? Form is too far back to be considered locked in. With a good Super season? Sure.
3. Hooper is a lock in for the squad, but I'm not convinced right now as starting 7 in the best 15. Starting against the minnows? Sure. Maybe with a good Super season into #7 first team.
4. Let's see how Cooper goes. He has a good record of getting back to fitness, but then has little time to pull form together. I hope he does but it is a huge risk to be banking it. If not Cooper, then bank in Foley. In the squad, starting 15 is ditto to Hooper.
5. In the backs, we can bank (also subject to fitness) Kerevi, Ikitau, Nawaqanitawase, Koroibete. And I think Hodge adaptability and positional cover makes him kind of essential.
6. I would add Skelton, plenty won't.

Add in Simone as a centre possible.

1. I disagree. Fainga'a has heaps of issues but I don't see there being enough of a chance for two outsiders to leapfrog into the squad. Lonergan has plenty of issues, BPA is worth looking at but hasn't been involved since last year. Pollard or Latu are longshots.

2. I think Leota was pretty locked in and playing well before injury. I expect him in the squad as one of our best two options at 6.

3. Not sure why. He was probably our best player against Ireland after not playing a lot of rugby for a while. Who is going to be ahead of him?

4. I agree with this. Based on the time available I'm backing Cooper to come back. A lot of that is due to the lack of alternatives.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
My 45 man, extended, squad, based on what I think the current Wallabies coaches would pick as opposed to my own choices (and no limit on foreigners at this stage):

Prop: Slipper, Bell, Gibbon, Alaalaatoa, Tupou, Pone, Robertson (7)
Hooker: Fainga'a, Latu, Porecki, L.Lonergan (4)
Lock: Frost, Neville, Swain, Arnold, Skelton, Rodda (6)
Backrow: Hanigan, Holloway, Hooper, McReight, Samu, Valetini, Leota, Gleeson (8)
Scrumhalf: Gordon, Tate, White, R.Lonergan (4)
Flyhalf: Cooper, Foley, Donaldson, Lolesio (4)
Centres: Kerevi, Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Beale (5)
Outside Backs: Banks, Nawaqanitawase, Koroibete, Kellaway, Hodge, Petaia, Campbell (7)

I'd be extremley surprised to see anybody outside of this.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
My 45 man, extended, squad, based on what I think the current Wallabies coaches would pick as opposed to my own choices (and no limit on foreigners at this stage):

Prop: Slipper, Bell, Gibbon, Alaalaatoa, Tupou, Pone, Robertson (7)
Hooker: Fainga'a, Latu, Porecki, L.Lonergan (4)
Lock: Frost, Neville, Swain, Arnold, Skelton, Rodda (6)
Backrow: Hanigan, Holloway, Hooper, McReight, Samu, Valetini, Leota, Gleeson (8)
Scrumhalf: Gordon, Tate, White, R.Lonergan (4)
Flyhalf: Cooper, Foley, Donaldson, Lolesio (4)
Centres: Kerevi, Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Beale (5)
Outside Backs: Banks, Nawaqanitawase, Koroibete, Kellaway, Hodge, Petaia, Campbell (7)

I'd be extremley surprised to see anybody outside of this.
I think Harry Johnson Holmes will probably be ahead of at least Gibbon and maybe Robertson and Pone by the time the Super rugby season is done, it was only a an unfortunately timed injury that prevented this year.

I also can't see Gleeson being in contention above Wilson, he was well off the pace this weekend (not surprising for a guy who has barely played super) and he may struggle to make the 23 at times for the tahs at times this year. Even if it's not Wilson that's there ahead of him, Gamble likely comes in ahead of him at both tahs and Wallabies level.