• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I think Harry Johnson Holmes will probably be ahead of at least Gibbon and maybe Robertson and Pone by the time the Super rugby season is done, it was only a an unfortunately timed injury that prevented this year.

I also can't see Gleeson being in contention above Wilson, he was well off the pace this weekend (not surprising for a guy who has barely played super) and he may struggle to make the 23 at times for the tahs at times this year. Even if it's not Wilson that's there ahead of him, Gamble likely comes in ahead of him at both tahs and Wallabies level.
Fair calls on both. I hope HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is back in the mix. Also certainly hope Wilson is in the mix.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My 45 man, extended, squad, based on what I think the current Wallabies coaches would pick as opposed to my own choices (and no limit on foreigners at this stage):

Prop: Slipper, Bell, Gibbon, Alaalaatoa, Tupou, Pone, Robertson (7)
Hooker: Fainga'a, Latu, Porecki, L.Lonergan (4)
Lock: Frost, Neville, Swain, Arnold, Skelton, Rodda (6)
Backrow: Hanigan, Holloway, Hooper, McReight, Samu, Valetini, Leota, Gleeson (8)
Scrumhalf: Gordon, Tate, White, R.Lonergan (4)
Flyhalf: Cooper, Foley, Donaldson, Lolesio (4)
Centres: Kerevi, Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Beale (5)
Outside Backs: Banks, Nawaqanitawase, Koroibete, Kellaway, Hodge, Petaia, Campbell (7)

I'd be extremley surprised to see anybody outside of this.

I'd say that's a pretty close shortlist, but I would bet on Tom Wright being there ahead of at least Campbell.

Last edited:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
At the start of the year he wasn't in the Waratahs best 23. It wasn't until round 4 that he even got a go off the bench with four players playing on the wing before him. It wasn't until round 6 until he got a start.

Most saw him as a guy with plenty of attacking talent but terrible decision making in terms of when to push the offload and abysmal defence.

He's only played three tests but he could be the Wallabies rookie of the year in that short period of time. He's finished the year with a two try MOTM performance where he played a huge part in our comeback.

I'd imagine many of us think he's a good shout to be in our starting XV even when Koroibete returns on the other wing but certainly in a RWC squad with everyone available.

His rise is quite remarkable when you think of Nawaqanitawase of last year. Two completely different players. His improvement in such a short amount of time is immense.

Helps to be 6'4 and genetic's to put that much muscle on in a short period too.

He doesn't need to play much better then he is currently playing, consistently will be the key for him going forward, like some others in the squad.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
My 45 man, extended, squad, based on what I think the current Wallabies coaches would pick as opposed to my own choices (and no limit on foreigners at this stage):

Prop: Slipper, Bell, Gibbon, Alaalaatoa, Tupou, Pone, Robertson (7)
Hooker: Fainga'a, Latu, Porecki, L.Lonergan (4)
Lock: Frost, Neville, Swain, Arnold, Skelton, Rodda (6)
Backrow: Hanigan, Holloway, Hooper, McReight, Samu, Valetini, Leota, Gleeson (8)
Scrumhalf: Gordon, Tate, White, R.Lonergan (4)
Flyhalf: Cooper, Foley, Donaldson, Lolesio (4)
Centres: Kerevi, Ikitau, Paisami, Foketi, Beale (5)
Outside Backs: Banks, Nawaqanitawase, Koroibete, Kellaway, Hodge, Petaia, Campbell (7)

I'd be extremley surprised to see anybody outside of this.
Swinton will be there assuming he’s fit. Rennie is a noted fan and he is the best lineout exponent out of our backrow stocks particularly at 2. I don’t think we will take a 6th lock with Holloway and Ned providing cover.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Swinton will be there assuming he’s fit. Rennie is a noted fan and he is the best lineout exponent out of our backrow stocks particularly at 2. I don’t think we will take a 6th lock with Holloway and Ned providing cover.

Leota was pretty good too and Rennie seems to like him too.

I think it will surely come down to super rugby form between Holloway, Hanigan, Swinton, and Leota. Then T Hooper from the Brumbies I'd say is the dark horse.

I feel like I'm missing another option too. I really like the depth at 6 at the moment once everyone is fit.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'd say that's a pretty close shortlist, but I would bet on Tom Wright being there ahead of at least Campbell.

Unfortunately I think your right. Rennie has a soft spot for Wright.

I have a feeling Rennie will view Wright's last few games positively as they were pretty solid apart from that easy dropped kick off.

I really hope Kellaway rises to the position and claims it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see Hanigan making the cut...

Holloway, Leota and potentially Swinton if fit would have to be the front runners at 6.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The players who didn't go on the EOYT, with the exception of maybe Quade, Kerevi, Koroibete and Bell are going to need to prove their form in Super Rugby (and it's going to need to be very good) to get in over the incumbents in the squad. Not saying they can't do it but they will need to be definitively better than the alternatives, this is probably relevant to;

- Swinton
- Perese
- Latu
- HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
- Leota
- Beale
- Rodda
- T Hooper
- Wilson
- Uru

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
Going to take a lot for a dark horse to push their case. 51 players wore gold this year, if you weren't on the radar to this point only an all time Super season would get you in the mix.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
So we've reached the end of 2022. We have four tests before a RWC squad is picked and five before the tournament begins.

The squad size is increased to 33 under the guise of improved player welfare (particularly with the 12 day stand down for concussion). I'd expect that this will certainly mean that no squads punt on taking only two hookers or halfbacks.

These are my locks (if healthy). I have included Leota here because I expect him to have plenty of time to return. I have excluded Tupou because I think time is against him.

Props: Slipper, Bell, Ala'alatoa
Hookers: Porecki, Fainga'a
Locks: Frost, Skelton
6: Holloway, Leota
7: Hooper
8: Valetini, Samu

That is 12 players. Expect 3 more props, 1 more hooker, 2 more locks, 1 more backrower

That leaves 14 spots for backs and I am expecting Cooper to recover in time.

Halfback: White
Fly half: Cooper
Centre: Kerevi, Ikitau,
Wing: Koroibete, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway
Fullback:

Expect 2 more halfbacks, 1 more fly half, 2 more centres, 2 more fullbacks

The backs are really wide open.

McDermott, Gordon, Lonergan are probably the leading chances at halfback. Gordon has been poor, McDermott has been mediocre and Rennie clearly isn't a fan and Lonergan is arguably the next in line. Wide open there.

Foley and Lolesio are the frontrunners at 10. Donaldson, Edmed, Harrison are outside chances.

Paisami, Foketi and maybe Perese are the best chances for the centres.

Wright, Hodge, Petaia, Campbell, Banks and Beale are probably the best chances for wing/fullback.
I largely agreed with your breakdown here, although it seems to be written on the assumption that Rugby Australia is going to scrap the eligibility laws (at least in their current form). Have they announced any change? If not I can't see either Skelton or Foley making the squad if Cooper/Kerevi/Koroibete are all fit.

Ideally I'd go with Cooper and Lolesio, but im not confident that cooper's body will stand up to the rigors of a world cup.

I'd say that barring a disasterous super rugby season, McDermott will be on the plane. His performance off the bench on the weekend was pivotal to us winning. Rennie won't soon forget that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I largely agreed with your breakdown here, although it seems to be written on the assumption that Rugby Australia is going to scrap the eligibility laws (at least in their current form). Have they announced any change? If not I can't see either Skelton or Foley making the squad if Cooper/Kerevi/Koroibete are all fit.

griffins

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fair calls on both. I hope HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is back in the mix. Also certainly hope Wilson is in the mix.
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) got stiffed badly moving to tighthead. Tahs ahould have used him and Bell in tandem like brums with Slipper and Sio. He's lost a lot of his strengths around the park in an attempt to nail tighthead, and ended up with the best of neither world (ala Ben Alexander)