• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Your comments sounded like you were.

Rennies treatment towards Wilson is quite extraordinary compared to others in the squad who are rewarded with selection despite inconsistency or ill-discipline

I can’t fathom that guys like Gordon are rewarded weekly but Wilson is banished.
Possibly because Rennie sees light years of difference between Valentini and Wilson, whilst the difference between White (destroys any semblance of referee relationship and kicks regardless of whether the rest of the team are ready for it or not), Gordon (let's just guarantee that we get a yellow shall we), and Tate (passes 300% better that Phipps ever did but is criticised for his inaccurate passing by some who defended Phipps continued selection - btw the answer was always "literally anyone else playing 9 in Australia other than Phipps"). It's then light years toward the next 9 (Lonergan played ok against Japan tbf)

Rob Valentini was consistently our most threatening player, and the others that have played at 8 throughout the season haven't even come close.

^^^^^ And whomever up there said maybe he'd go better at 6, I'd probably spot on"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’ll just weigh in and say I understand why Wilson isn’t being selected, despite being a fan and would love to see someone with his skill set included…

But I don’t understand why Gordon does continue being selected when his only consistent feature is giving away costly penalties, in a team that has been under scrutiny for giving away too many penalties.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wilson was unlucky not to go on the EOYT. He didn't get a shot for Australia A because he was part of the main squad, couldn't join the Australia A squad late because of COVID rules and then Gleeson was outstanding and took his spot on the EOYT.

I think that is definitely unlucky for Wilson but likewise, Gleeson took his chance and he deserved his spot on the EOYT. The logic for Wilson to go on the EOYT anyway despite him not really delivering each time he's had an opportunity didn't really hold up.
Did Gleeson really deserve his shot though. He played well for Australia A but the EOYT confirmed he is a long way from ready for tests. And I thought that was obvious before the tour.

Wilson may not be killing if at test level, but he makes his tackles and clean outs, has a better work rate and is better in the line out than Gleeson. Gleeson made one good tackle on kick chase and otherwise didn’t do anything if note.

Personally I thought it was pretty obvious Wilson is still comfortably the better player of the 2 and, after being left behind last year being left out again for Gleeson did seem pretty harsh IMO.

Base on most recent test form if it came down to a 50/50 between them for a spot in the WC squad I’d have Wilson by a fair stretch.

People do love a good highlight reel over a workhorse though.

Edit- and there is no way in hell I’d be picking Gleeson in the same backrow as Valetini. Wilson at least somewhat compliments him - though evidently not in Rennie’s eyes. Gleeson is just a (currently) lessor version (albeit with plenty of time and potential).

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I’ll just weigh in and say I understand why Wilson isn’t being selected, despite being a fan and would love to see someone with his skill set included…

But I don’t understand why Gordon does continue being selected when his only consistent feature is giving away costly penalties, in a team that has been under scrutiny for giving away too many penalties.
Gordon was the biggest disappointment for me this year. He was in really good form in Super Rugby. Nearly equal to White and certainly better than McDermott.

Really hasnt stepped up at all.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is luring Eddie back for a push at the RWC23 a bit of pissing money against the wall?
Well it really depends on how much. Eddie has been on a good wicket for quite sometime and maybe after being scorned by England might take massive unders for a short term role.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wilson may not be killing if at test level, but he makes his tackles and clean outs, has a better work rate and is better in the line out than Gleeson. Gleeson made one good tackle on kick chase and otherwise didn’t do anything if note.

Personally I thought it was pretty obvious Wilson is still comfortably the better player of the 2 and, after being left behind last year being left out again for Gleeson did seem pretty harsh IMO.

Base on most recent test form if it came down to a 50/50 between them for a spot in the WC squad I’d have Wilson by a fair stretch.

People do love a good highlight reel over a workhorse though.

My point is that Rennie has had a look at Wilson and isn't overly impressed. As far as Rennie is concerned he's a fairly known quantity that isn't delivering what he wants. Unfortunately for Wilson it definitely looks close to the point where Rennie is more interested in trying something new than giving Wilson another crack to see if things are different.

Gleeson was a true bolter and was impressive in that Australia A series. It is unlucky for Wilson that Gleeson took the spot and it was a fairly unusual set of circumstances that led to it happening. I can understand Rennie wanting to have a look at Gleeson though. At the end of the day it's his prerogative.

For what it's worth I don't think either will be in the RWC squad.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
It's not a coin toss though. We've had issues at all the positions the guys you have listed play at whether it is form, injuries or both.

Meanwhile we've had Rob Valetini who plays the same position as Harry Wilson who has been available for pretty much every game and has been our best player this season.

It's not a mystery why Harry Wilson isn't getting to play more test rugby.
Gleeson got picked ahead of him based on not much at all

Wilson got 1 chance at 6 and got dropped straight away. Holloway was allowed 6 straight bad games before he finally had a good one

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Gordon was the biggest disappointment for me this year. He was in really good form in Super Rugby. Nearly equal to White and certainly better than McDermott.

Really hasnt stepped up at all.
Dont worry Rennie will give him plenty more chances to disappoint next year

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Gleeson got picked ahead of him based on not much at all

Wilson got 1 chance at 6 and got dropped straight away. Holloway was allowed 6 straight bad games before he finally had a good one

There's an argument that Wilson should be given more of a run at 6 but that clearly isn't where Rennie is considering him.

He's basically being looked at as a number 8 and Rob Valetini has a mortgage on that position.

It's probably not reasonable from Rennie but he's pretty clearly taken the view that Wilson isn't what he's looking for at number 8 and he doesn't really consider him as a frontline option at 6.

No coach has ever consistently applied the same selection standards/policy across every player and position. It's just a reality that coaches see different things in different players and that doesn't mesh with fans in certain circumstances.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well it really depends on how much. Eddie has been on a good wicket for quite sometime and maybe after being scorned by England might take massive unders for a short term role.

If you reckon Eddie Jones would take 'unders' for a coaching role with a tier 1 nation to try and propel them to a RWC, you're dreamin!

Even if hypothetically, he took 'unders' on a role, it would still be money that RA likely don't have to spend. Particularly on a role which I don't think would really change the current trajectory of this side within 12 months.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If you reckon Eddie Jones would take 'unders' for a coaching role with a tier 1 nation to try and propel them to a RWC, you're dreamin!

Even if hypothetically, he took 'unders' on a role, it would still be money that Rugby Australia likely don't have to spend. Particularly on a role which I don't think would really change the current trajectory of this side within 12 months.
Believe it or not, we all change as the years mount up. Eddie is walking away from his English gig with a very fat wallet. His roots are here. He is getting on in years.

How would you, or I, or anybody else except a handful of close friends and relatives know what he thinks?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Even if hypothetically, he took 'unders' on a role, it would still be money that Rugby Australia likely don't have to spend. Particularly on a role which I don't think would really change the current trajectory of this side within 12 months.
He probably would add value. Hes very tactically astute which, i think, isn't Rennies strongest attribute.

Hes a divisive bellend who would be too expensive, though.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Believe it or not, we all change as the years mount up. Eddie is walking away from his English gig with a very fat wallet. His roots are here. He is getting on in years.

How would you, or I, or anybody else except a handful of close friends and relatives know what he thinks?

Yep and as I said in the second part of my post, unless he does it for free, I think it would be too expensive no matter what his asking is.

RA need to read the writing on the wall, put their best foot forward in the RWC23 but understand it probably isn't our time. Save that money and lets make the big push to win the 2027 on home soil.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
On the Wilson argument, I think it just comes down to the fact he’s just not ‘yet’ as good as many have built him up to be although he’s still very young and far from the finished product.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player but there isn’t any point of difference that would stand out at the international level. He’s got some incredible stats at the Super Rugby level, but most of that is down to his work rate than actual impact. He leads things like run meters primarily because he runs the ball twice as much as others. At the international level where players are that next level stronger and faster than Super Rugby I’m sure there is concern that the work rate that stands out at Super Rugby level is easily mitigated essentially making his game null and void.

He simply needs to become more dynamic in the contact zone in both attack and defense. Otherwise he will just be the guy that makes lots of runs for no meters and completes tackles but allows opposition to win the gainline. Genuinely think he’s at risk of falling behind Will Harris as well, and potentially lucky Rob Leota (who was due to play a lot of 8 for the Rebels this year) is out for the entire season.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Shit Leota is out for the year? Didnt realise that. Quite a loss.
Dunno, he seems to be progressing well with his injury but I guess super season comes & goes really quickly.

I also think that Valetini's so much older than Harry but there's only a year separating them. Both are so young, 24 & 23. Gregory Alldritt only really came into his own in the past couple years. Same for Savea when he was Harry's age.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Dunno, he seems to be progressing well with his injury but I guess super season comes & goes really quickly.

I also think that Valetini's so much older than Harry but there's only a year separating them. Both are so young, 24 & 23. Gregory Alldritt only really came into his own in the past couple years. Same for Savea when he was Harry's age.
September injury, roughly 9 months rehab (give or take). May/June return so hopefully a couple of games.

If there is no Aus pro comp post Super Rugby would love to see him play NPC so has at least 10 pro games in the year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Part of the ACL crew. Did it first half in Melb against ABs. Might get a game of two in at season end but will depend on rehab

ACL crew = Kerevi (7s), Quade, Philip, Tupou and Leota. Sure prob missed someone.

Leota, Cooper and Tupou are all Achilles ruptures (as was Harry Johnson-Holmes).

Kerevi and Philip have ACL ruptures.

Perese ruptured his Patella tendon.

As far as recoveries go, the timeframes are all pretty similar.