• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Wales 23 vs 'The Others' - Talk about Australia A....

1. Slipper 2. Fainga'a 3. Ala'alatoa
4. Frost 5. Neville
6. Holloway 8. Gleeson 7. Mcreight
9. Gordon 10. Donaldson 11. Nawaqa 12. Hodge 13. Ikitau 14. Petaia 15. Wright
16. Lonergan 17. Robertson 18. Talakai 19. Hanigan 20. Samu 21. Mcdermott 22. Lolesio 23. Campbell

1. Bell 2. Porecki 3. Tupou
4. Arnold 5. Skelton
6. Swinton 8. Valetini 7. Hoops
9. White 10. Quade 11. Koroibete 12. Kerevi 13. Paisami 14. Kellaway 15. Banks
16. BPA 17. Sio 18. Pone 19. Rodda 20. Leota 21. Genia :) 22. Foley 23. Beale
paisami over ikitau?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
We have no replacement for Bobby. Leota is alright on the carry but does he have the ability to hit the gainline against 2-3 set defenders as Bobby does? nup.

We probably need to adjust how we play if Bobby goes down.
It's a big problem and the backrow is very important at WC time. I have always been of the mind that Bobby V is an international 6 and a very good one playing at 8. The question then comes up who plays 8, I'm not convinced that Wilson has the smarts to play there and Gleeson is in the same boat. Too much focus on big hits and bending or breaking the line, too little on creating opportunities, patching holes and supporting runners. We need someone with the smarts of McRight but a bigger version. How's Wright going at the Reds, he seems to have dropped off the radar.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wright’s a quality player - but not an 8. Could maybe fill in there but he is really a 6 or 7.

I think he’s a fair way behind in the pecking order though.

I don’t think there will be many new players in the tests this year but one guy who could feature is Harris.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wright’s a quality player - but not an 8. Could maybe fill in there but he is really a 6 or 7.

I think he’s a fair way behind in the pecking order though.

I don’t think there will be many new players in the tests this year but one guy who could feature is Harris.
I like Harris too but he rarely comes up in conversations. Not sure why now you mention it.
Liam Wright is not too short but could do with another 5kgs. He's a smart player and I like that.
according to Wiki
Height1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)
Weight101 kg (15 st 13 lb;

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Honestly I think that's the right call. There's no amount of overseas players who will significantly shift our chances at winning this world cup, and I don't think we can afford the damage that open slather would do to the game.

I do hope it means there will be renewed effort to get a couple of key players home though, Kerevi in particular.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Surely this is just a ploy to scare players, make it seem like a hard fought victory that can change at any moment. Not that they rolled over easily.

Anyways if it is two players has to be Quade & Kerevi.

I'd agree with Quade and Kerevi but that leaves Koroibete out which seems like an impossibility in a world cup year, further inclining me to believe this won't happen.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah I get it, as soon as you pubically declare a selection free for all, players are getting their agents on the blower.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I originally weighed in to this in reply to Braveheart who claimed Gleeson earned his spot. And that was clearly a popular opinion. Personally I don’t agree - not to knock the bloke but Rennie should’ve taken the best team he could and I don’t agree Gleeson is there yet. The other problem is that Rennie is not being consistent. He is applying different standards to different players. He is talking in public about rewarding discipline and not following through. He is taking about earning the right and not selecting to reflect that (IMO).

I meant from the perspective of his play on the Australia A tour both in Fiji and then Japan. There wasn't a lot more he could do there to catch the eye of the selectors. Mark Nawaqanitawase was the other player who really shone in Japan and it got him on the plane to Europe.

If you're weighing up the whole season or Super Rugby etc. and runs on the board then he's certainly nowhere close but that is never how these things work.

The same criteria isn't being applied to all players in the same way but that is never the case. Likewise it's hard to argue that for most tours, particularly EOYT, the best squad is the primary aim of selection. The EOYT would almost always include a couple of bolters who have been picked ahead of better credentialed players.

I do think the driving force behind Wilson's lack of selection is that he couldn't go on that Japan tour and didn't get to play much rugby. If he'd played on that tour there's a fair chance he would have also looked really good and would have toured instead of Gleeson.

I think a lot of people are struggling to accept that Rennie's view of Wilson is nowhere near how they view his play and where he sits in the pecking order. Rennie could very well be wrong there but it does seem to me that's his opinion.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely this is just a ploy to scare players, make it seem like a hard fought victory that can change at any moment. Not that they rolled over easily.

Anyways if it is two players has to be Quade & Kerevi.
Nah. Quade has played four games in two years? I wouldnt be at all surprised if he was picked and got injured again immediately.

Koroibete and Kerevi. Simple.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Changing the rule doesn't fix the fundamental issue that R.A. can't afford (enough of) the best players.

I'm sure Kerevi loves playing for Australia, but if you're being asked to sacrifice a rumored 300k+ a year for the privilege, I'd tell them to forget about it too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Daily reminder that R.A. chose to pay Vunivalu ~800k/yr instead of keeping the known quantity world class winger Koroibete.

These apparatchiks don't have a clue.

I don't think this was an Koro or V choice, but I agree the money could have been better spent

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)