• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
True - better all these talented NZ coaches twiddle their thumbs at home while a useless donkey gets the best coaching gig in the world by default.
Yep understand your point Derps and know it never going to be a thing. Just dislike this shit that's happening really.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I want to say surely he'd be kept on by Jones as he has his nose across Super Rugby better than anyone else in Australia atm but Eddie may have an idea of a team he wants. Was McKellar on a long deal?

I'm pretty sure McKellar is signed on until the end of this year, and I would assume that RA don't want to have to pay for two forwards coaches this year...

But then, I didn't think they had the money to pay for two head coaches.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
This is mental.

But curious to see what game plan he goes for.

His England game plan was designed around a dominant pack and attrition. It came unstuck when the other pack would not lie down and clobbered his team at the gain line (SA, Argie this year, NZ this year in the first half, Ireland last year). If his ball runners did not make yards and pack did not dominate set pieces it seemed there was no fallback plan.

So. The Wallabies do not have the right players or the above so what will be the "style" he opts for?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I have a feeling this is a pretty amicable situation. Rennie wouldn’t commit beyond 2023, RA didn’t want him to anyway, and to lock in Eddie they had to pounce now. Dave gets to sail the Carribean for a year before getting paid squillions by the Japs and I reckon he will still have a behind the scenes role.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is mental.

His England game plan was designed around a dominant pack and attrition. It came unstuck when the other pack would not lie down and clobbered his team at the gain line (SA, Argie this year, NZ this year in the first half, Ireland last year). If his ball runners did not make yards and pack did not dominate set pieces it seemed there was no fallback plan.

So. The Wallabies do not have the right players or the above so what will be the "style" he opts for?
Japan

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
This is mental.

The 'Australian style' as stated.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I reckon Eddie is on a motza with RA. This his how I envision the negotiations went:

Eddie: I want more money

RA: Nope, we're already paying you way over budget

Eddie: Righto, tell them I'll oversee the Wallaroos program or something for another $500k p.a.

RA:

morty.jpeg

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Business is booming
the bit about Rennie being Raelene’s was a post I started and decided not to continue, I didn’t realize it was still there when I posted.

But since it’s there, the point I was intending to make was that Raelene appointed Rennie and I’m not sure keeping him on was ever part of the new RA plan. Considering the financial issues at the office I think we can expect PE announcement in the coming weeks. From the gut.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
the bit about Rennie being Raelene’s was a post I started and decided not to continue, I didn’t realize it was still there when I posted.

But since it’s there, the point I was intending to make was that Raelene appointed Rennie and I’m not sure keeping him on was ever part of the new Rugby Australia plan. Considering the financial issues at the office I think we can expect private equity announcement in the coming weeks. From the gut.
And it was only early last week or so that we were hearing rumblings of Rennie and a Japanese gig. They knew it was coming.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure I hate this as much as a lot of you. Probably a bit tough on Rennie given the injury crisis he's had to deal with this past year but honestly its difficult to defend his win/loss record (losing the England series was a disaster regardless of injuries) and he's was clearly heading out the door later this year anyway.

The jones hire is surprising and I'm not sold its the right call, but I'm also prepared to see how things playing out. Ultimately results will speak.
He certainly brings a fresh coat of paint heading to the world cup (which hopefully gives the fans and the players some belief that we could go further in the tournament). He also seems a useful guy to have at the helm when we get to the lions series in 2 years.

The big questions for me are:-
1) Who will be part of his coaching team? Need some assistants that have a good relationship with the playing group.
2) What demands has Eddie made in terms of assess to talent from overseas / signing NRL talent?
3) In what circumstances can RA opt out before the end of the 5 years? I can only assume they have some kind of clause which allows them to pay-out a portion of his remaining contract after a certain date if the results aren't up to scratch.

Last edited:

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
He has committed to playing for le cocks

I would still want a last ditch attempt to bring him home. He said in the past he only left to try NFL because he had no offers here, and his Family is still here. It does seem like he's made his mind up though