• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good point, kind of makes it even more insane that this is happening this year rather than next.

I am not sure I agree. He was available now, arguably not next year.

He is a proven international coach, unlike Razor etc).

Rennie has a 38% win record, acknowledging challenges.

I get the feeling Australian Rugby (players and coaches) are in a massive comfort zone and I reckon Eddie will shake them out of that toot sweet. I also think he will have a big positive impact on the RWC (like Cheika did in 2015).

Coaching against the Lions is the big gap in his resume (he was coach of Aust A who won in 2001).

It's just whether we can cope with him for 5 years, but a swansong at a home RWC has some appeal.

The big question is are WE ready for him? I just wish we had more rugby media around to engage with him. That's what he will be looking for.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The big question is are WE ready for him? I just wish we had more rugby media around to engage with him. That's what he will be looking for.
I'm hoping it's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario. If Eddie's doing what Eddie does best and stirring up a bit of drama, media will come running. This has already been a massive coup for eyeballs on the game - Twitter's rampant, every media outlet incl. Fox and Newscorp are all over it - could be a bit of a kickstart to rugby coverage again?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am not sure I agree. He was available now, arguably not next year.

He is a proven international coach, unlike Razor etc).

Rennie has a 38% win record, acknowledging challenges.

I get the feeling Australian Rugby (players and coaches) are in a massive comfort zone and I reckon Eddie will shake them out of that toot sweet. I also think he will have a big positive impact on the RWC (like Cheika did in 2015).

Coaching against the Lions is the big gap in his resume (he was coach of Aust A who won in 2001).

It's just whether we can cope with him for 5 years, but a swansong at a home RWC has some appeal.

Yeah but you can lock him up now for 2024 onward can you not? If he's still getting a salary from the RFU what's the rush (for him?) - surely he'd want a break too.

I've said my piece on Rennie - he's a dud but he surely deserved a chance at a RWC. I still think Rennie would be better for this year.

I just don't see the benefit in him taking over now rather than next year.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm going to make a not so bold prediction and say he won't last the five years of his contract. I'm still processing the insanity of this decision.

He's been fired from coaching jobs in this country TWICE.
This just proves RA is just a bunch of old boomers pining for the glory days of the 90's but have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Such reactionary irresponsible decision-making, always looking for a cop-out, and to inject another temporary miracle fix.

So typically short-sighted from Rugby Australia.

Eddie has a track record of tearing everything down, I agree there's no chance he will last his contract, Jones will be what 69? at 2027 World Cup? RA is just as big an old-boy's club as NZR... hire their 60 year old boomer mate due to the nostalgia of the glory years they lived-out with him.

Just see out Rennie's contract, then come 2024, a fresh optimistic young Razor would've proved a revitalizing breath of oxygen into the parched lungs of the ailing vestiges of Australian rugby - instead of employing an old negative crusty has-been to only accelerate the aging process!

Last edited:

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Can't say I love this as I liked Rennie, but this will be a fascinating experiment if nothing else. If Jones can rejuvenate the sport in Australia somehow (overseas players, improved super rugby teams, league, media IDK) that might be worth it. The North is leading the way in rugby lately IMO and he's been up there for some time.

Seems totally insane at face value though.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Comfort zone is a way to describe Australian rugby at the moment.

I saw Jock Campbell talking about fullback stocks last week, he's really only competing with like 4 other guys for the spot, an injury or 2 and he's on the bench or on the field. Given how many tests we play a year, eventually everyone gets a go....

I acknowledge I'm being a little flippant and sarcastic, the Wallaby jersey is genuinely treasured by our players and they are putting in 100% when they are wearing it. Eddie is a tough bloke and will toughen us up, his teams have also shown some real football smarts at times over the years as well. He'll be good for us this year but do wonder if the team will suffer after a couple of years of him as others have.

Have to say I am still a little traumatized from when he coached the Reds back in 2007. We sucked that year on a whole new level. Added to the trauma from the Richard Graham years, I am one messed up dude.

Last edited:

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe one positive is that EJ (Eddie Jones) **Eddie Jones** might put the hard word on players like Darcy Swain to clean up his act?

OTH, with players like Hill and Farrell in the England team getting away with their antics on his watch possibly isn't the best endorsement for his record on discipline.

**EDIT** (Hmmm, did the initials E J (without spaces) where the insert is, and it was just blank?)

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Darcy Swain should be nowhere near the team if all overseas locks are considered...

Anyone got a snippet of Eddie talking about overseas selections (whether it was related to Aus or even Eng??)
Yep - however if OS locks aren't considered he possibly comes into the picture hence my speculation

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe one positive is that **Eddie Jones** might put the hard word on players like Darcy Swain to clean up his act?

OTH, with players like Hill and Farrell in the England team getting away with their antics on his watch possibly isn't the best endorsement for his record on discipline.

**EDIT** (Hmmm, did the initials E J (without spaces) where the insert is, and it was just blank?)
Hope youre right. Has Swain had the same issues at Super Rugby level? Because Farrell does it for Saracens and is currently on a 3 match ban for it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who will be Eddie's pick for captain...?

r0_346_5568_3489_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

bc7f3bf4f60b89545a598e1f476daeab96c1f756

Last edited:

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
This just proves Rugby Australia is just a bunch of old boomers pining for the glory days of the 90's but have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Always reactionary decision making looking for a cop-out and another miracle fix.

So typically short-sighted from Rugby Australia.

Eddie has a track record of tearing everything down, I agree there's no chance he will last his contract, he'll be what 68 at 2027 World Cup? Rugby Australia is just as big an old-boy's club as NZR, hire their 60 year old boomer mate due to the nostalgia of the glory days they lived with him.

See out Rennie's contract then come 2024 young Razor would've been a revitalizing breath of air, instead of a old has-been.

Did he run over your cat or something?

A RWC win with the Boks, coaching Japan to knock of the Boks at a RWC, 18 straight test wins right out of the gate with England a few months after they didn’t even make it out of their pool in a home RWC, two series wins away against the Wallabies, a RWC final with England and a 74% win ratio and you think he’s an old ‘has-been’ ?

You must be a Queenslander, everyone else around the world would’ve killed to hire him, especially with a WC just around the corner.

I just put 2k on us to win at 12-1. We have an incredibly easy draw, he’s been planning for this WC for the last few years, and now instead of him trying to knock us out, we get his unparalleled knowledge of our own weaknesses that he can use immediately to rectify, as well as intimate knowledge of England’s strengths and weaknesses.
They are likely our only difficult game before the final against France, who we came within a bee’s dick of beating at home with nearly two entire match day squads out injured.

Board the train you muppet, we’ll win it this year, and with the Lions in 2 years, then a home World Cup, the future is looking bright.

As long as you pull your head out of a 16yo dark cavity just below your spine.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Did he run over your cat or something?

A RWC win with the Boks, coaching Japan to knock of the Boks at a RWC, 18 straight test wins right out of the gate with England a few months after they didn’t even make it out of their pool in a home RWC, two series wins away against the Wallabies, a RWC final with England and a 74% win ratio and you think he’s an old ‘has-been’ ?

You must be a Queenslander, everyone else around the world would’ve killed to hire him, especially with a WC just around the corner.

I just put 2k on us to win at 12-1. We have an incredibly easy draw, he’s been planning for this WC for the last few years, and now instead of him trying to knock us out, we get his unparalleled knowledge of our own weaknesses that he can use immediately to rectify, as well as intimate knowledge of England’s strengths and weaknesses.
They are likely our only difficult game before the final against France, who we came within a bee’s dick of beating at home with nearly two entire match day squads out injured.

Board the train you muppet, we’ll win it this year, and with the Lions in 2 years, then a home World Cup, the future is looking bright.

As long as you pull your head out of a 16yo dark cavity just below your spine.
Agree with 90% of this Brumbieman except for the splash of cash :oops: bold move brother