• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gerrard would've got his debut a year earlier after a stunning S12 season, capped off with his hat trick against the 'saders in the GF...

From memory was named in the first test squad for the domestic series against Scotland, England and the short lived Pacific team. And then again named for the spring tour squad, but did his hammy before both kicked off... lost a bit of pace after that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This guy dennied to play for Kangaroos

Twist plot: He switches to rugby to play for Samoa lol
Nah that just makes the Wallabies switch more likely, he said he was a proud Australian and the door wasn't closed at all in representing Australia

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Nah that just makes the Wallabies switch more likely, he said he was a proud Australian and the door wasn't closed at all in representing Australia
He also said that his father used to drive from Sydney to Melbourne to watch Samoa Rugby Union team lol

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
so at the time Eddie worked out that scrums only accounted for x% of the game so only devoted x% of training to them. In fairness he never had too many great props to work with (Baxter, Young, Stiles, Dunning, Noriega, Darwin). All solid but none excellent.

He's obviously evolved his game because the likes of Genge, Sinckler, Stuart etc were all very prominent in his time for England

While I've never been a massive Eddie Jones fan, I agree with you on this one Reg.

Despite my tongue in cheek comments earlier about Eddie and props, it does seem like he has evolved his understanding of the game. I read an interview with Eddie recently (link) where he talks about how the physicality in rugby has 'gone through the roof'. He's obviously aware of how the game is changing and I'd be surprised if he was to come in and adopt the methods he previously used when he coached Australia.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If you look at his record in his last gig here, my impressions were that he worked McQueens team into the ground, he brought in several young players and gave them a 5min cameo and then we never saw them again. There were obviously new players coming in but mainly after retirements and injuries. He has done a similar thing with England he is not a team builder he uses the best at the time and sticks with them. That is why when he leaves the following coach has to start from the bottom.
Were you around in those days, Derpus mentioned you were old.
I think that lacks context. My recollection is he had a bunch of Australia’s golden generation at the end of their career and some accused him of sticking with them too long instead of moving them on. A few had injury issues.

George Gregan was the most notable because there was a significant push for Whittaker to get a run, but there were other guys like Larkham, Herbert & Kefu were all at the end of their careers. I remember he ignored Julian Huxley because he maintained he was playing in the wrong position and he was accursed by some of having a bias towards the Brumbies players he coached at Super level.

Many felt the test team suffered because he persevered with the veterans but I think it needs to be acknowledged you are talking guys like Gregan, Larkham, Herbert, Roff (?) & Kefu who were best in the world level players in their prime.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This guy dennied to play for Kangaroos

Twist plot: He switches to rugby to play for Samoa lol
This might disappoint some commentators on the board but Sua’ali’i is definitely aware of his "value" as a footballer, and has shown on many occasions that getting paid what he deserves is important to him.

There is zero chance he plays for Samoa on peanuts over a $1m+ Wallabies deal.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think that lacks context. My recollection is he had a bunch of Australia’s golden generation at the end of their career and some accused him of sticking with them too long instead of moving them on. A few had injury issues.

George Gregan was the most notable because there was a significant push for Whittaker to get a run, but there were other guys like Larkham, Herbert & Kefu were all at the end of their careers. I remember he ignored Julian Huxley because he maintained he was playing in the wrong position and he was accursed by some of having a bias towards the Brumbies players he coached at Super level.

Many felt the test team suffered because he persevered with the veterans but I think it needs to be acknowledged you are talking guys like Gregan, Larkham, Herbert, Roff (?) & Kefu who were best in the world level players in their prime.

A few of those guys also continued on for a couple more years under Connolly...

Roff was in great form playing at fullback in what was going to be his final year in 2004 (he didn't have the best season in 2003, losing his place in the test team to the converts), before being forced to retire early with an injury against the PI's.

It should be noted that Eddie somewhat controversially omitted Owen Finegan (although did include Cockbain who was probably past it) from the 2003 RWC squad which ended his test career.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This might disappoint some commentators on the board but Sua’ali’i is definitely aware of his "value" as a footballer, and has shown on many occasions that getting paid what he deserves is important to him.

There is zero chance he plays for Samoa on peanuts over a $1m+ Wallabies deal.
I hope RA don't pay him what he is 'worth'. He wouldn't be worth what he would cost RA in my opinion.

So, yeah, I fully expect RA to break the bank for him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
hope not.
prefer rugby stick with blokes that want to be rugby players not mercenaries.
Joseph is an exception. The out clauses in his Roosters contract are clearly to allow him to play rugby. He could probably play AFL too if wanted but he's mapped out his career to include rugby.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
https://thesportingbase.com/nrl/roosters-could-lose-Sua'ali'i-to-rugby-soon/

Roosters early to take up a lucrative Australian Rugby Union offer before the end of the year.​

I thought the incentive would be a RWC spot, he ain't signed and isn't playing Super Rugby - so how would he get selected?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I thought the incentive would be a RWC spot, he ain't signed and isn't playing Super Rugby - so how would he get selected?
He wouldn't be selected for this year - the context is that his contract with the Roosters expires at the end of this season. You'd think if he's a chance to play v the Lions in '25 he'd need to play rugby in '24 though.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I am excited for the combination of McLennan & Jones. Both are pretty media savvy and know how to create drama and headlines. Together, there could be some serious shithousery.
It's a shame the extended SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) deal has already been announced. Imagine Eddie's 2cents

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Sua'ali'i was put at fullback when Tedesco was concussed in the NRL semi-final. He went ok but Souths shut his impact down. Channel 9 froth over this kid but they are all Roosters men - Gus Gould, Fred Fittler, Danny Weidler etc. So much hype. Cooper Cronk on Fox is not much better.

Eddie's main challenges are 10 (incl goal kicking) and the front row but all other positions, if all fit, we have potential to be world class.

If you can still get 12-1, take it...but Aussies now at $9.00.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If Bill Young picks up the Wobs scrum coach gig, we should defintiely worry.

Oh I dunno, he was as cunning as a shithouse rat and got away with being essentially a flanker for several years.

if our current props were half as cunning, but with their size and strength we’d be beasting teams in the scrum.

Besides, our front row/scrum was fine until our TH (can’t remember his name) buggered his neck just before the WC.