• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
My views on Jones getting the job, one of the best moves the ARU has made in the last decade. I think Rennie is a good coach, but not a World class coach that knows how to get the best out of guys with limited interactions throughout the year. Jones knows how to get the best out of a team, the 2003 team that made the final was not expected to beat the All Blacks in the semi. They were not expected to push England to extra time.

Players views, not just England players but former Wallabies players praising his coaching ability. The amount of support he gets from players his coached speaks volumes about the guy.

Media: It's really what Australian Rugby needed for the next 5 years, a guy who can grab headlines and run with them. Who loves the sound of his own voice and can bring all news outlets back to the game. His the Jose Mourinho of Rugby, lets the players concentrate on the game and takes all the hits in the newsroom good or bad.

Supporters: Well GARG has never been so busy in Jan, all the social sights have never had so much rugby talk in Jan. I remember Wallabies fans having passion and atmosphere at games, that really stopped after Jones. I remember going to games pre 03 and there was always great atmosphere. When Jones left it seemed Wallabies supporters passion did as well in my opinion.

Wallabies 2023: They go well, Jones is a hero, they fail Jones blames Rennie and makes promises for the Lions.

If he can manage a dream start and pick up a win at Loftus, beat Cheika Argentina in Sydney imagine the hype going into Bledisloe 1 at the MCG with 90k tickets sold.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
RR, the actual time they played is important, and I have no idea how to get this. I remember a big campaign against Eddie in the SMH? due to not bringing in new blood. Eddie claimed he brought in more youngsters than any other coach before him. That is true, the bit of the puzzle that's missing is time they played.

If you can actually go back and name these supposed young players who didn't receive enough game time, and the players that should've been dropped for them...

That might be a bit more constructive?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Shouldn't be surprised at the media frenzy. Contracts were effectively signed mid-December, lots of time to plan this through from an RA perspective.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Joseph is an exception. The out clauses in his Roosters contract are clearly to allow him to play rugby. He could probably play AFL too if wanted but he's mapped out his career to include rugby.
well for what it is worth I think if he wants to play rugby then he should find shute shield or QPR club and prove himself before he gets a contract.

I reckon this should be a pre requisite for every player whether arriving from offshore, another code or the schoolboy system.

Some may take a handful of games some may not get the hang of it until later (Vunavalu)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
well for what it is worth I think if he wants to play rugby then he should find shute shield or QPR club and prove himself before he gets a contract.

I reckon this should be a pre requisite for every player whether arriving from offshore, another code or the schoolboy system.

Some may take a handful of games some may not get the hang of it until later (Vunavalu)

This is never going to be the reality though.

He would be coming to rugby because RA is willing to offer him a lot of money based on his clear talent.

Your suggestion only works if literally no professional rugby teams (as well as a bunch of league teams) will sign any player until they are proven at a certain level.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
It seems Jones himself predicted the future when he penned this article 10 years ago:

Funny that the hard arse leader everyone wanted , The Link Ewan MacKenzie, got ousted but the playing group who didnt like his tough stand.

Reactions: Ged

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
This is never going to be the reality though.

He would be coming to rugby because Rugby Australia is willing to offer him a lot of money based on his clear talent.

Your suggestion only works if literally no professional rugby teams (as well as a bunch of league teams) will sign any player until they are proven at a certain level.
Hence why the current system (which IMHO is broken) needs an overhaul.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hence why the current system (which IMHO is broken) needs an overhaul.

How do you propose for this to happen?

Vacate the field for young, talented players by refusing to offer them contracts when other people will?

How exactly is the current system broken?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

He played first grade for The Kings School at the age of 14, and represented GPS Firsts at the age of 16. I think that proves that he can play rugby.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
How do you propose for this to happen?

Vacate the field for young, talented players by refusing to offer them contracts when other people will?

How exactly is the current system broken?
My first gripe with the system is why are we recruiting outside our junior development pool? RL and Offshore.
If we are doing a great job at lower levels we should have a constant supply of skilled players to select from. Maybe a look at the AFL model of what happens at junior levels is worthwhile.

My second one is if we are creating so many good players that they have to go offshore to get contracts then why don't we have another tier of paid rugby in Australia? doesn't have to be mega bucks but enough to keep the talent here. The spin off is a product that is worth more to sold ie media rights. The model to look at here is the Rugby League. How many Aussie lads are in MLR, Japan, France, England, Ireland etc playing club rugby for $$$$

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Jones has stated in SMH interview that he has 3 ex-union schoolboy stars on the radar. Said they all played Australian Schoolboys.

I am guessing could be Angus Crichton, Joseph Su'uali'i, Tolatau Koula, or Adam Doueihi. Any others?

Then there are other ex-rugby schoolboy stars like Jojo Fifita (Titans), Cam Murray (Rabbits) and Sam Walker (Roosters).

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
He played first grade for The Kings School at the age of 14, and represented GPS Firsts at the age of 16. I think that proves that he can play rugby.
big difference between schoolboy and Super Rugby / Test Match rugby.

Plenty of blokes are schollboy stars that dont make the transition

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My first gripe with the system is why are we recruiting outside our junior development pool? Rugby League and Offshore.
If we are doing a great job at lower levels we should have a constant supply of skilled players to select from. Maybe a look at the AFL model of what happens at junior levels is worthwhile.

My second one is if we are creating so many good players that they have to go offshore to get contracts then why don't we have another tier of paid rugby in Australia? doesn't have to be mega bucks but enough to keep the talent here. The spin off is a product that is worth more to sold ie media rights. The model to look at here is the Rugby League. How many Aussie lads are in MLR, Japan, France, England, Ireland etc playing club rugby for $$$$

More money?

That's it!

Someone get onto Rugby Australia and let them know they need more money.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My first gripe with the system is why are we recruiting outside our junior development pool? Rugby League and Offshore.

We should recruit from everywhere. Why would we limit ourselves? Likewise our players seek opportunities everywhere. Many of the talented kids play league and union as kids. They are not permanently league players simply because they took a contract there at an early age.

Lots of Aussie players are overseas. I'm unsure how you suddenly create another paid tier of rugby in Australia. The issue is having the money available, not having people to sign.

I'm not sure the AFL is a great example. They are almost a completely closed system as there is nowhere else for the players to play professionally. They have lost a couple of players to cricket over the years (but overwhelmingly it is the other way around) but that is it.