• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
*I love JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and his redemption story has been so heartwarming - I just wish he could have been given the proper guidance/slap down he needed at the time. The 3 Amigos could have been so much more than they become if they’d been humbled a bit more early on.
Clearly Dave Rennie wasn't such a keen subscriber of the JOC (James O'Connor) redemption arc..

I still can't get over how he somehow decided to unceremoniously yeet JOC (James O'Connor)'s international career out the window & all that leadership accumulated from his Red's experience after 1 bad game - one of which he barely touched the ball due his forwards going backwards at a rate of knots, meanwhile several other guys have been persisted with through multiple arguably worse performances..

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Jones has stated in SMH interview that he has 3 ex-union schoolboy stars on the radar. Said they all played Australian Schoolboys.

I am guessing could be Angus Crichton, Joseph Su'uali'i, Tolatau Koula, or Adam Doueihi. Any others?

Then there are other ex-rugby schoolboy stars like Jojo Fifita (Titans), Cam Murray (Rabbits) and Sam Walker (Roosters).
My guesses would be Sua'ali'i, Murray and Chricton. The first is a given and the other two potentially fill a hole where we lack depth (assuming Crichton is earmarked as a 6). If not he also ticks Eddie’s project box of having a back rower in the centres.

Reactions: Ged

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
More money?

That's it!

Someone get onto Rugby Australia and let them know they need more money.
thats where the rest of the overhaul needs to be done, in the management.

At the end of 2003 RA had a mammoth amount of cash due to hosting a successful RWC. It took about 14 or 15 years and it was all gone when we woke up the place was effectively skint.

We are now hinging an economic revival on the BIL tour 2025 and RWC 2027 plus the womens RWC. Seems like we are generating cash flow only at the top end of the game. Which then gets spent predominately at the top end ( Million $ contracts etc) and a trickle down to the grassroots engine room.

If Stan have paid for the QPR and Shute Shield to be a product for broadcasting then maybe that money should be spent at that level.

Just worth discussing because we had a system (and it produced 2 RWC 91 and 99) then it was changed to what we have now which hasn't bloody worked. Can't even towel up kiwi sides at Super Rugby level consistently.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
My guesses would be Sua'ali'i, Murray and Chricton. The first is a given and the other two potentially fill a hole where we lack depth (assuming Crichton is earmarked as a 6). If not he also ticks Eddie’s project box of having a back rower in the centres.
Who was the last player to come back from League and into the forward pack?

It happens a lot with back three or centres but Brad Thorn is the only forward I can think of who came back from League

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
thats where the rest of the overhaul needs to be done, in the management.

At the end of 2003 Rugby Australia had a mammoth amount of cash due to hosting a successful RWC. It took about 14 or 15 years and it was all gone when we woke up the place was effectively skint.

We are now hinging an economic revival on the BIL tour 2025 and RWC 2027 plus the womens RWC. Seems like we are generating cash flow only at the top end of the game. Which then gets spent predominately at the top end ( Million $ contracts etc) and a trickle down to the grassroots engine room.

If Stan have paid for the QPR and Shute Shield to be a product for broadcasting then maybe that money should be spent at that level.

Just worth discussing because we had a system (and it produced 2 RWC 91 and 99) then it was changed to what we have now which hasn't bloody worked. Can't even towel up kiwi sides at Super Rugby level consistently.
try about 4 or years

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)

It happens a lot with back three or centres but Brad Thorn is the only forward I can think of who came back from League
and Thorn went back down a few levels to hone his rugby game. Famously declined an all black jersey until he thought he deserved it.
INTEGRITY.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Point taken, there were several failures in there such as Timani Tahu. I’m not actually advocating it would work but I’m just guessing at the hitlist:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crichton is signed until the end of 2024
Murray is signed until the end of 2025, current captain of Souths and future Origin and Kangaroos captain - no chance

I doubt he was referring to those 2 as part of the "three".

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At international level? If I won an art contest when I was 6 years old, doesn’t make me Picasso

The equivalent here would be topping the state in HSC art. I'm pretty sure all the tertiary art schools would be keen to offer that student a spot in their degree course.

It's fine not to want to take the risk on Sua'ali'i but the expectation that he could come to union for a trial before he gets paid on a big contract is ridiculous. He's clearly done more than enough in rugby league already to show everyone in rugby union that the incredibly talented junior player we saw is developing into a top tier professional.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
The equivalent here would be topping the state in HSC art. I'm pretty sure all the tertiary art schools would be keen to offer that student a spot in their degree course.

It's fine not to want to take the risk on Sua'ali'i but the expectation that he could come to union for a trial before he gets paid on a big contract is ridiculous. He's clearly done more than enough in rugby league already to show everyone in rugby union that the incredibly talented junior player we saw is developing into a top tier professional.
And surely with his roots, it wouldn't take that long to get back into union from league though

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
1673936033444.png

Would love to know when (if any) 5 of the 6 most viewed sports articles were Rugby

The Eddie effect already in full swing

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
View attachment 15141

Would love to know when (if any) 5 of the 6 most viewed sports articles were Rugby

The Eddie effect already in full swing
I was going to post before. When was the last time that rugby dominated headlines as much in Australia.

You've got the RA chairman going on podcasts
Open Q&As with the coach across multiple outlets

Take Eddie vs Rennie out of it and the PR machine has been huge, its like someone has lit a fire under RA

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Jones has stated in SMH interview that he has 3 ex-union schoolboy stars on the radar. Said they all played Australian Schoolboys.

I am guessing could be Angus Crichton, Joseph Su'uali'i, Tolatau Koula, or Adam Doueihi. Any others?

Then there are other ex-rugby schoolboy stars like Jojo Fifita (Titans), Cam Murray (Rabbits) and Sam Walker (Roosters).

From those, my choices would be Sua'ali'i as the obvious one everyone is talking about, and then Jojo Fifita and Adam Doueihi.

Fifita still very young and in a competitive/not well paid position in rugby league. From what I have seen of him, he's got a really high energy play style that I think would suit rugby.

Doueihi is just a really solid footballer, essentially a 'we have Matt Burton at home' version of MB. Good play making and solid frame.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Crichton is signed until the end of 2024
Murray is signed until the end of 2025, current captain of Souths and future Origin and Kangaroos captain - no chance

I doubt he was referring to those 2 as part of the "three".
What’s the saying, contracts are made to be broken?

You are probably right about Murray but I know for a fact that angus wants to play pro rugby before he hangs up the boots. Not necessarily in Aus but if there is a carrot here I am sure he will look at it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
and Thorn went back down a few levels to hone his rugby game. Famously declined an all black jersey until he thought he deserved it.
INTEGRITY.

He declined going on that EOYT because he wasn't sure he was going to play union the following season.

So yes, I think there's plenty of integrity in what he did but it wasn't because he didn't think he deserved to be selected at that point.