• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Agreed, though I have actually always thought Australian sporting clubs would do well to commission a song(s) to mirror some of those that you find overseas. I think it would take some nous to ensure that you land on something that resonates with your audience.

The whole quality of the match day experience in Australia needs to be improved as to be honest in many ways it's inferior to being at home with your large screen (fridge, toilet, pause button etc..etc..). Better crowd engagement is definitely one area to create a point of difference. If you've been at any sporting event where the whole crowd is singing along or chanting in unison you'll know what a special experience that can be.
I think the welcome to country and smoking ceremonies have been a great addition on this front. The way it has built up and been invested in over the last few years certainly feels like a more natural fit. They go a long way to making test matches feel like a bigger event, setting the stage for something special. Hopefully they can continue down this path and really build up a unique experience through the Lions tour and into the 27 world cup.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
I think the welcome to country and smoking ceremonies have been a great addition on this front. The way it has built up and been invested in over the last few years certainly feels like a more natural fit. They go a long way to making test matches feel like a bigger event, setting the stage for something special. Hopefully they can continue down this path and really build up a unique experience through the Lions tour and into the 27 world cup.
Agree when it is done well.
Totally disagree when the microphone is handed to someone to waffle on with something of no interest or significance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So what is Eddie going to look for in his forward pack? Physicality I reckon. A presence on the field.

Bobby V to a T. Probably Skelton too.

Up front it means Tupou and Bell when fit probably led the way and you’d have to think he’d be eager to see Eloff’s eligibility.

Gamble would seem a big winner. And it may sound heretic but Hooper may be the loser. Perhaps a good bench option. He’s less about physical presence now and more about workrate. McReight probably falls down the pecking order and Wilson probably needs to work on his repeat effort work to get back in contention. I don’t think Holloway cuts it. Uru perhaps. McMahon (if fit and healthy) for sure. Leota seems to fit the picture too. Hanigan? I wouldn’t write him off.

At lock I think Swain will be his Jonny Hill. Rodda will be back as will Philip. Not so much Neville. Smith a dark horse.

Hooker remains the question. Lonergan’s impact v Wales will shoot him up the list. Mafi a good shot and Nasser, if he gets some games, a roughie.

Not sure about out wide but I think Pasitoa is his type of 10. He loves workrate wingers so Kellaway is king.

Is Stewart the closest to his Farrell style 2nd 5/8th?

Pure footballers too so you’d think Campbell is a big shot at 15. Really not sure how Petaia responds to him. Another that could be made or broken by him.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
"I'm disappointed I won't be able to see out my contract in the way I agreed to back in 2019, but leave knowing I had the full support of the playing group and the staff," Rennie said.

"I certainly felt we have made massive shifts over the past three years both on and off the field, which is off the back of a hell of a lot of hard work put in by good people.

"I wish Eddie, the staff and the team all the best in what's a massive year, with the Rugby World Cup less than nine months away."

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Neville makes it with everyone fit...

After Frost's performances against England and the NH teams in general he'll be there.

The hooker role is certainly wide open now... neither Porecki or FF (Folau Fainga'a) were impressive by the end of the year.

I'm not sure how Eddie will feel about Lonergan's lack of size.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So what is Eddie going to look for in his forward pack? Physicality I reckon. A presence on the field.

Up front it means Tupou and Bell when fit probably led the way and you’d have to think he’d be eager to see Eloff’s eligibility.

Gamble would seem a big winner. And it may sound heretic but Hooper may be the loser. Perhaps a good bench option. He’s less about physical presence now and more about workrate. McReight probably falls down the pecking order and Wilson probably needs to work on his repeat effort work to get back in contention. I don’t think Holloway cuts it. Uru perhaps. McMahon (if fit and healthy) for sure. Leota seems to fit the picture too. Hanigan? I wouldn’t write him off.

At lock I think Swain will be his Jonny Hill. Rodda will be back as will Philip. Not so much Neville. Smith a dark horse.

Hooker remains the question. Lonergan’s impact v Wales will shoot him up the list. Mafi a good shot and Nasser, if he gets some games, a roughie.

Not sure about out wide but I think Pasitoa is his type of 10. He loves workrate wingers so Kellaway is king.

Pure footballers too so you’d think Campbell is a big shot at 15. Really not sure how Petaia responds to him. Another that could be made or broken by him.

Edmed could be a winner...

Eddie has now mentioned both of the Tahs' flyhalves, along with Foley and Quade in a couple of interviews.

Lolesio might be hoping he's just forgotten his name.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Edmed could be a winner...

Eddie has now mentioned both of the Tahs' flyhalves, along with Foley and Quade in a couple of interviews.

Lolesio might be hoping he's just forgotten his name.
McDermott is another who he has repeatedly name checked by Eddie over the past year or so. I don't think he'll pass White yet, but I think he's going to be firmly planted as the back up ahead of Gordon with an eye to building the side around him by the Lions tour. Generally the guys around that age are all set to benefit, though maybe not in the short term.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I don't think Neville makes it with everyone fit...

After Frost's performances against England and the NH teams in general he'll be there.

The hooker role is certainly wide open now... neither Porecki or FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) were impressive by the end of the year.

I'm not sure how Eddie will feel about Lonergan's lack of size.

I'd struggle to agree that either were impressive, Longergan gave the best 1 off performance but he's still no where near big enough. Latu would give himself a massive shot if he can keep on the park. Someone has 8 months to sign BPA in 2024 & he is considered without being an overseas player. Maybe Mafi is a roughie

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

There's 5 Wallabies matches before the RWC, 4 of which are in the Rugby Championship (which I'd imagine is when clubs have to release players). So, I'd imagine BPA may be getting a call up as Longergan doesn't quite fit the mould that Eddie would want at international level i.e. size + ability to win collisions.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Some of the armchair speculation I mentioned :)

Truthfully I'm unsure which way he will pivot with the time remaining (5 games before the world cup). He's always acknowledged the need for cohesion so to make too many left field changes now would be surprising, but who knows. He's made some mention of Tate so Gordon might be dropping down the peaking order.

Does he feel like he can do more with the players who were already called into camp or will we see some surprises make their way in and how much does SuperRugby form count?, because if you want to use the past couple of years with England you could argue that he tends to pick his players irrespective, seeming to like a consistent core. For awhile that was the Saracen's group and the Farrell/Ford axis. I actually suspect that the whole debacle with them and the pay scandal, resulting relegation for the Premiership had more impact than maybe people acknowledge on the English national side.

We are in an odd place as a country, because I'm not sure we have the brutal forward presence of say France or South Africa, we don't have the discipline and contentedness of say an Ireland and we aren't at the same level of basic skills under pressure or ability to play whats in front of us like the All Blacks, we're a bit of a hybrid. The game has slowed down, the ball in play time is low, so yes, I think he may lean towards injecting some more power and physicality into our game, who exactly I'm unsure. Players like Latu, Fa'amausili, Leota, Skelton, Valentine, Uru, Tupuo, BPA, Eloff... etc.. I'm sure will all get looked at. I'm sure he loves the prospect of Kerevi in his team. Gamble could be a change too. Philip I think is a little underrated by many in his impact. I wouldn't be surprised to see him. McMahon I'm less convinced by, though there is that Suntory connection there, so who knows.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Gamble I think definitely is in a good place, though he probably already was on the back of his inclusion in Rennie's last camp. I do think the 7 role is one where defensive work rate and results at the ruck are still going to be key with Eddie looking for an out and out 7, so Hooper and McReight absolutely still fit that bill. Samu is the one that might fall out of favour there with the defensive side being the weakest aspect of his play at 7, though he'll likely still be a key piece of the pack as 6/8/Bench backrow.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's 5 Wallabies matches before the RWC, 4 of which are in the Rugby Championship (which I'd imagine is when clubs have to release players). So, I'd imagine BPA may be getting a call up as Longergan doesn't quite fit the mould that Eddie would want at international level i.e. size + ability to win collisions.

It would still require RA to either further relax eligibility rules, or for a Super Rugby team to sign BPA for 2024...

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Agreed, though I have actually always thought Australian sporting clubs would do well to commission a song(s) to mirror some of those that you find overseas. I think it would take some nous to ensure that you land on something that resonates with your audience.

The whole quality of the match day experience in Australia needs to be improved as to be honest in many ways it's inferior to being at home with your large screen (fridge, toilet, pause button etc..etc..). Better crowd engagement is definitely one area to create a point of difference. If you've been at any sporting event where the whole crowd is singing along or chanting in unison you'll know what a special experience that can be.
Im kind of surprised we haven't adopted the chorus of "I am Australian" but we as Aussies arent huge fans of getting loud at sporting matches (outside of perhaps the AFL)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

Nic Bishop seems to think the players we were sorely missing this year were Tupou, Bell, Philip & Skelton and they are key to Aus attack.
Glad to have Philip getting some love there. I've always thought he was a weapon with ball in hand.

1. Bell 2. Latu/Porecki/BPA/whoever 3. Tupou
4. Philip 5. Skelton
6. Leota 7. Gamble 8. Valetini
Heavy pack

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Can someone more knowledgable about coach admin have a crack at explaining what happened to the assistant coaches? Did they leave because they didn't gel with Rennie or knew the writing was on the wall? Did Rennie push them out because he wasn't getting results? Did they leave because they wanted to avoid EJ (Eddie Jones)?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Can someone more knowledgable about coach admin have a crack at explaining what happened to the assistant coaches? Did they leave because they didn't gel with Rennie or knew the writing was on the wall? Did Rennie push them out because he wasn't getting results? Did they leave because they wanted to avoid ?
Honestly so much of the commentary around Wisemantel recently has been pretty clear about the family issues line that I think it might be as simple as that. It's very different from the reporting around Taylor that he was basically pushed, something that might be sort of backed up by the fact that he's now popped up coaching in Japan.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Gamble huh. Big call.

Gamble certainly looked like the pick of the 7s last year. We not only the most physical 7, but also way more effective over the ball compared to Hooper. Will be interesting to see if he can continue that form in 2023.