• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I thought all the NRL chat was just hype and getting eyeballs. But some McLennan’s first words about why he thinks Eddie is the perfect man for the job was Eddie’s intimate knowledge of the NRL talent pool.

So curious to know who we’ll try and bring across.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought all the NRL chat was just hype and getting eyeballs. But some McLennan’s first words about why he thinks Eddie is the perfect man for the job was Eddie’s intimate knowledge of the NRL talent pool.

So curious to know who we’ll try and bring across.
First goal should be to ensure Rugby don't lose any kids in the Aus schools/18s U20s teams to League. I understand some of them are on contracts already but why aren't Rugby doing the same. Rugby should also be encroaching on the League nationals and getting in the ear of kids.

After that I may look at current NRL players, but I'd only look for ones that can fill a clear hole in the squad. We don't need 9 Wingers. Another preference would be that they are U25 so that they can develop and also be worth the $$ they are going to cost.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
If Slipper and Hooper aren't making the 23, who on earth is going to be captain?

Do we think he goes someone experienced since that's probably what's needed for the RWC or someone young, completely fresh with an eye to longevity?
For mine it might be a massive call to upset the NSW Management Clan, but I would put Tate McDermott in the No 9 jersey then the Big C beside his name as well.
Has experienced captaincy
Is media savvy and likeable
Is the right age to fulfill the longevity into BIL and RWC 2027

PLUS he HATES losing and holds himself and others to high account.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
For mine it might be a massive call to upset the NSW Management Clan, but I would put Tate McDermott in the No 9 jersey then the Big C beside his name as well.

......and he doesn't seem to windup refs like Nick White can

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

As a Tahs fan I'm completely fine with this. Gordon is a great Super Rugby player but a clear 3rd in the current group and I wouldn't consider him any better than Lonergan either.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

He's gotta be hands down the best 9 in the country 1st

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)

But he can’t kick and pass to international standard. Exceptional at everything else but he’s got the worst core skills of the 3 half backs. He’s young so can improve but currently a long way off taking Whites job. Eddie consistently ignored his English equivalent in Danny Care.

Ryan Longergan is closer to taking that 2nd spot than I think many realise.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Go check out Will Genia's comments on White. Says he genuinely considers him world class and that he & Marika have been the two best Wallabies recently.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hard disagree, I think Lonergan went set himself backwards during the Australia A games against Japan last year. He was pretty slow off the ruck base and his box kicks in particular were very inaccurate. I think Tuttle might even be ahead Lonergan for next year at this stage.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
But he can’t kick and pass to international standard. Exceptional at everything else but he’s got the worst core skills of the 3 half backs. He’s young so can improve but currently a long way off taking Whites job. Eddie consistently ignored his English equivalent in Danny Care.

Why does a 9 have to be able to kick? The role is to serve the backline and bark at forwards. Occasionally keep the opposition guessing with a bit of running.

His pass is way better than Gordon, Lonergan and Tuttle (seeing his name came up). Maybe White may have a bit more power/strength in his pass but brings far too much excess baggage for mine.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hard disagree, I think Lonergan went set himself backwards during the Australia A games against Japan last year. He was pretty slow off the ruck base and his box kicks in particular were very inaccurate. I think Tuttle might even be ahead Lonergan for next year at this stage.

It doesn't matter anymore now that Rennie's gone, but Lonergan was the 4th halfback selected for the camp this month...

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How long is White signed for at the Brumbies? If he and Gordon decided to leave after the WC our depth at 9 is really bad unless I am missing anyone?

Who would the best Half Backs be U23?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why does a 9 have to be able to kick? The role is to serve the backline and bark at forwards. Occasionally keep the opposition guessing with a bit of running.

His pass is way better than Gordon, Lonergan and Tuttle (seeing his name came up). Maybe White may have a bit more power/strength in his pass but brings far too much excess baggage for mine.
Aren't boxkicks statistically the most effective form of midfield kicking?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How long is White signed for at the Brumbies? If he and Gordon decided to leave after the WC our depth at 9 is really bad unless I am missing anyone?

White has signed until the end of this year so far...

TBH, I would be perfectly happy with White being captain and McDermott as one of the VC's in the squad.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

He was the only Wallaby to kick a 50/22 in the rugby championship, so to say he cant kick is an exaggeration. And I'd take Tate's pass over Gordon's every day of the week

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McDermott's pass was clearly one of the biggest issues holding back his regular selection last season.

It is an area where Gordon is ahead.

Gordon certainly damaged his chances on that EOYT though with some pretty average play and some costly ill-discipline.

It's a bit of a blank slate now though with Jones coming in. I'd be highly surprised if White isn't still the clear first choice.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
White has signed until the end of this year so far...

TBH, I would be perfectly happy with White being captain and McDermott as one of the VC's in the squad.
White needs to learn how to talk to refs first and stop being such a shit head.

He can be a shit head or be captain, not both

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
The number one skill for a 9 is his ability to pass strong and accurately from the ground.
Tate is the weakest passer out of the top 4 scrummies in the country (including Tuttle).
I like Tate at the end of a game where his darting from the base of the ruck can be useful but while his core skills are where they are he should never start for the wallabies.
If we want a 9 who is good in defense, quick to the ruck, a good ball runner but a weak passer and kicker of the ball then maybe we should have stuck with Nick Phipps.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Prob Isaac Fines but apparently doesn't want to be a wallaby a few have said. Kalani Thomas has looked okay & the Tahs seem to be fast tracking that young kid that went on the aus a tour to japan last yr (name has just escaped me)