• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There's 5 Wallabies matches before the RWC, 4 of which are in the Rugby Championship (which I'd imagine is when clubs have to release players). So, I'd imagine BPA may be getting a call up as Longergan doesn't quite fit the mould that Eddie would want at international level i.e. size + ability to win collisions.
I am a Brumbies fan, ha ha, but let me reassure you that Lachie Lonergan has no issues dominating bigger players at the tackle. I reckon he will be well and truly in the mix for the No2 spot.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
McDermott is another who he has repeatedly name checked by Eddie over the past year or so.
With McDermott starting every game you have a completely different side. That's the kind of thing you expect from a change like this

Reactions: Ged

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm sure will all get looked at. I'm sure he loves the prospect of Kerevi in his team.
Kerevi is probably the kind of centre he loves but couldn't find in England. So he had to improvised with Slade and Farrell. He even picked Ollie Lawrence at 12 without good results

Last edited:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I am a Brumbies fan, ha ha, but let me reassure you that Lachie Lonergan has no issues dominating bigger players at the tackle. I reckon he will be well and truly in the mix for the No2 spot.
I thought he was better last year than the year before. I still think he has a fair way to go. I’m sure you’ve seen more of him than me but he still seemed to play light to me. I don’t recall him being dominant at all. Good workrate and mobility though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, I enjoyed that. Thanks.

QLDer after watching 2.5 hours of Quade: "Well, I enjoyed that. Thanks"

1674039381693.png

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I thought he was better last year than the year before. I still think he has a fair way to go. I’m sure you’ve seen more of him than me but he still seemed to play light to me. I don’t recall him being dominant at all. Good workrate and mobility though.
Lonergan to me is more of an extra flanker than a front rower in the loose.

If we have a big lock and Bobby V I think we can play Lonergan in the tram tracks.

Like all of our hookers though he has been inconsistent with his throws in gold.

Reactions: TSR

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
None of the hookers have done enough to earn a spot IMO… Latu, BPA, Lonergan, Pollard, Mafi, Fainga’a, Porecki, Kaitu’u are all equal at this point in time. They’ve all got a Super Rugby season to earn their spots except for BPA, his selection depends on whether RA adjust their overseas player rules, but if avaialble I’d have him in the top 2 or 3 current Australian hookers.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
None of the hookers have done enough to earn a spot IMO… Latu, BPA, Lonergan, Pollard, Mafi, Fainga’a, Porecki, Kaitu’u are all equal at this point in time. They’ve all got a Super Rugby season to earn their spots except for BPA, his selection depends on whether Rugby Australia adjust their overseas player rules, but if avaialble I’d have him in the top 2 or 3 current Australian hookers.
BPA's performance in the French series was the best of any hooker since Latu at RWC19. A while ago now but gotta count for something.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The whole quality of the match day experience in Australia needs to be improved as to be honest in many ways it's inferior to being at home with your large screen (fridge, toilet, pause button etc..etc..). Better crowd engagement is definitely one area to create a point of difference. If you've been at any sporting event where the whole crowd is singing along or chanting in unison you'll know what a special experience that can be.
That's impossible to change. It's easier to beat the ABs, Ireland and France by 200 points and win the WC back to back in 2023 and 2027.

The average Aussie is calm and cold. To do something like that you need hot blood like Papua New Guinean

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
None of the hookers have done enough to earn a spot IMO… Latu, BPA, Lonergan, Pollard, Mafi, Fainga’a, Porecki, Kaitu’u are all equal at this point in time. They’ve all got a Super Rugby season to earn their spots except for BPA, his selection depends on whether Rugby Australia adjust their overseas player rules, but if avaialble I’d have him in the top 2 or 3 current Australian hookers.
BPA's performance in the French series was the best of any hooker since Latu at RWC19. A while ago now but gotta count for something.
I think you need to be careful with historic bias to inform current ability (I feel McMahon might be similar) especially in comparison to current options who have been integrated into the systems over time. I like BPA in the loose and the impact he appears to have, but I'm unsure of the specifics of his comparative technical nous with his role or what his progression has been like at Montpellier (having not watched enough Top 14).

Edit: you also need to remember he (BPA) was squaring up with a bit of a French B Team. Julien Marchand who appears the French prefered choice as Hooker wasn't part of that team. The performance in the Autumn tour gives a fair gauge of Porecki and Folau Fainga'a against their French counterparts.

Latu is likewise a wildcard, but at least with him we will get to see where he sits in direct comparison to the other Wallabies contenders. Kaitu’u is the one who I've been the most disappointed with (actually I lie, that'd be Jordan Uelese) and actually wonder if the Force coaching setup has been to his detriment. Rob Kearney (who'd spend his time in the Leinster & Irish setups) was rather dispariaging of the quality and standard of the setup over there which might illuminate some of the stalling of talent. I'm optimistic Cron might bring a little more experience to the organisation, especially after his time under Hansen and in another SuperRugby setup at the Waratahs.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Hamish has tied to blow things up with some emotive quotes to get a headline to get us on the back pages, Eddie has shown he is top dog here & the 1 thing I was worried about he could not have answered any better watch 26.00 - 28.01 if you dont want to watch it all.

Reactions: dru

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
We now know who the league players are, as for the overseas ones - half a dozen locks, BPA, Foley, Quade, Kerevi, Koroibete, and maybe even Nick Phipps considering all the current halfbacks after White are a downgrade.
envisioning phipps and foley as eddie's first choice halves and them going onto win the world cup is great, would melt this site. am looking forward to hooper being the first choice 7 for the 4th coach in a row, despite those who underrate his greatness.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
That's impossible to change. It's easier to beat the ABs, Ireland and France by 200 points and win the WC back to back in 2023 and 2027.

The average Aussie is calm and cold. To do something like that you need hot blood like Papua New Guinean
I disagree. The Cricket, AFL even A-League at points have created some solid game day atmospheres. Sport is an entertainment property, you need to create and sell an experience. Big name musicians do it all the time, including authentic audience participation.

Even bringing parity to broadcasts would be a start with referee's mic'd up to the stadium speakers, clear flagging of penalties and such on screens etc..etc.. TMO calls these days at the grounds are like a cryptic crossword trying to guess what might be going on.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Was Folau a proper fullback? Couldnt kick and had no distribution game. I suspect Sua'ali'i would be exactly the same.
Sua'ali'i grew up playing union and just switched to loig after school. He is a union player through and through.

I guess not. But he has had time in the game recently and should make the switch easily.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I disagree. The Cricket, AFL even A-League at points have created some solid game day atmospheres. Sport is an entertainment property, you need to create and sell an experience. Big name musicians do it all the time, including authentic audience participation.
I'm from Latin America, mate. I know how is a proper sports environmet, believe me.

Maybe the AFL is a bit better but not good enough for me. It's cultural, AFL supporters attend more than NRL supporters, don't even bold to compare with rugby fans. They are more passional, absolutely. Maybe the Victorians are a different specie of Aussies. I have not idea cause I never lived there, I went just one time as a tourist. But I know how is the average Joe from NSW and they are calm and cold people.

You can see here, Latin American football forums are a completely mess. Fights, brawls, etc, etc everyone insult the players, coaches. G&GR is a peaceful environment, cause the average rugby fan in Australia is that.

You can't expect something like that at the end of a rugby match in Australia:

The people is completely different than the passional Islanders. Not even when the Tahs won the Super Rugby title beating the mighty Crusaders you saw people running into the field

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
QLDer after watching 2.5 hours of Quade: "Well, I enjoyed that. Thanks"

View attachment 15144
Bloke in a bar is a Rugby League podcast. If they interviewed a rugby player is positive for us. I mean, it's what rugby needs. More exposition to the sports community outside the strongholds

So thanks Quade for being popular outside rugby community lol