• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All the talk about the No 9 spot, I think is misplaced. Recall as recently as the test against France on the EOYT, where we lost in the last few seconds against one of the top ranked sides in the World. Nic simply outplayed his opposite (Galtier?) all night and that was one major factor in the good team performance. The discussion ought to be about his backup (which it is to some posters) rather than who is going to displace him. Of course, Eddie might have a different take to me on the situation.

One further observation, Lonergan has the quickest and most accurate pass from the back of the breakdown of all contenders. He didn't set the world on fire in Aus A, but as Slim pointed out he was still in the squad last week. That puts him ahead of some of the others who are getting a mention on here, imo.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's interesting that of all the Wallabies coaches of the professional era, Jones is the one to get at another crack.

Would you have thought the coach who decimated Australia's set-piece and left the team in a smoldering pile of ruins at the end of 2005 would be the one to warrant a second-term with this team? I still believe Ewen McKenzie was the anointed one - you only have to look at the respective state's of the national side when Jones departed in 2005, compared to when McKenzie 'exited stage left' at the end of 2014.

The Wallabies were a festering ruin at the conclusion of Eddie's tenure. Meanwhile Cheika inherited a refined & polished world-class Wallabies outfit from Ewen McKenzie who's hard work from the previous two seasons helped culminated in a world cup final result.

You see real leadership is thinking ahead of the moment you're in.

With Eddie's Wallabies & England tenures we've seen remarkable initial success followed by mass fallout & prolonged instability, his team's have finished up being plagued with inconsistent, incoherent and unstable selections & tactics at the pointy end of his tenure.

Combined with his highly unsustainable man-management methods, constantly demanding standards, with an insular focus on getting success now (but f*** the team after I'm gone!) so leaving the following coach to pick up the scorched pieces and start from scratch again.

Proper leadership is catering for beyond your term in power in the position you're in and McKenzie's developments put Australia in a good stead for the future, he put in place strong foundations through his pragmatic coaching and selections in 2013/14 & his contributions over that brief tenure can be very much attributed to their subsequent success the following year in 2015.

Basically this is my not so subtle way of implying that if any previous Wallabies coach deserved a 2nd-term it was Ewen, not Eddie!

I do agree Ewen deserved another shot, I also think he showed the most promise as wallabies coach.

But looking at Eddie's recent coaching, I would say I disagree about England, I think he has left England better then he found it. Japan is certainly a level or two above since Eddie's tenure too.

taMy personal view is that Eddie is a great coach but his hard-assed and often bizarre man-management can become exhausting to the players, staff, and fans over the long-term. BUT Eddie has shown he learns from his mistakes and is open to learning and evolving as a coach. Hopefully, getting fired from England will be his wake up call in the media and man-management department. Maybe this is a little bit too hopeful of me, given Eddie is Eddie and that part is probably unlikely to change.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
All the talk about the No 9 spot, I think is misplaced. Recall as recently as the test against France on the EOYT, where we lost in the last few seconds against one of the top ranked sides in the World. Nic simply outplayed his opposite (Galtier?) all night and that was one major factor in the good team performance. The discussion ought to be about his backup (which it is to some posters) rather than who is going to displace him. Of course, Eddie might have a different take to me on the situation.

One further observation, Lonergan has the quickest and most accurate pass from the back of the breakdown of all contenders. He didn't set the world on fire in Aus A, but as Slim pointed out he was still in the squad last week. That puts him ahead of some of the others who are getting a mention on here, imo.
Has anyone mentioned an option other than McDermott or Gordon?

I doubt Lonergan is ahead of either those two. But he is ahead of anyone else, for sure.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Big question is what happens to the assistants? Brumbies will be pissed if they are dumped with nowhere to go except overseas.

Well it's just McKellar isn't it? As Laurie is back at the Brumbies anyway.

The Brumbies will be fine with Larkham/Laurie. McKellar will be a loss but he could also gain some overseas experience. I would say the best thing for McKellar would be to stay 1-2 years under Eddie then head off overseas until until the wallabies job becomes available. No need to rush him into the job, he could do with some more experience/success.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Has anyone mentioned an option other than McDermott or Gordon?

I doubt Lonergan is ahead of either those two. But he is ahead of anyone else, for sure.
I mentioned this a couple of days ago but I'm really unsure about the depth in this position. Tuttle was part of the Aus A tour but I don't see him as a Wallaby. It seems to be a problem position if you try to name a talent U23 it's hard to find. People have mentioned Teddy Wilson as probably the best but I think he's still 19? Iv'e seen Kalani Thomas and I'm not overly convinced but he's also so young it's not fair to judge yet.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I mentioned this a couple of days ago but I'm really unsure about the depth in this position. Tuttle was part of the Aus A tour but I don't see him as a Wallaby. It seems to be a problem position if you try to name a talent U23 it's hard to find. People have mentioned Teddy Wilson as probably the best but I think he's still 19? Iv'e seen Kalani Thomas and I'm not overly convinced but he's also so young it's not fair to judge yet.

Lonergan is only 24 if Nic White did hang them up Tate & RL is a good option but thats for the wallabies 2024 on thread. Atm we have the 4

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Tawera Kerr Barlow

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah Eddie hasn't quite picked up on Rennie's thoughts of Quade being the saviour. Foley at least seems more hardy.

All #EJ (Eddie Jones)# (why is GGR removing those two letters?) has said is that Quade has to return from injury before there is much to talk about. Fair enough really.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting. What position did u play?
I was a second row and lock in NZ of course. Always in the engine room except for one game at centre for the 3rds who were short one day.
South Africa at that time was the best place to play rugby on the planet, hard rugby then great social times afterwards. The club I played for never had less than 1000 people in the clubhouse on a Saturday night, lot's of girls and players from colts to old players some of them around 80.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Makes a great coffee too apparently

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh boy.

Rugby Union star Kurtley Beale has been arrested and is expected to be charged with the sexual assault of a woman in Bondi last month.
The athlete was stopped by police on Rainbow St, Kingsford just before 2.30pm Friday and taken to Waverley Police Station.

It is expected he will face charges over the alleged sexual assault of a 28-year-old woman at a licensed premises on Beach Rd in Bondi on Saturday, December 17.

The Wallabies winger has a history of alcohol issues, and previously took a leave of absence from rugby to enter a private health facility and receive counselling for “ongoing issues”.

He was earlier this month selected as one of 44 players in a four day Gold Coast Wallabies training camp

Beale was previously fined $40,000 and suspended indefinitely from play for punching Melbourne Rebels teammates Gareth Delve and Cooper Vuna on the team bus after a Super Rugby game in South Africa.

In 2014 he was found to have breached the rugby code of conduct by sending an offensive image to former Wallabies business manager Di Patston.