• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
They lead all the euro comps in red cards (and yellows too I think). Pretty easily when you have Coleman mind you.
He's far from on his own in earning them though - in addition to Coleman's red Creevy, Donnell and Loader have all picked up a red card. And that's before you get to the yellows - Simmons has 4 of those this season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Probably not surprising as Laurie was brought in to look after defence, and Eddie loves his ex-league defence coaches and there was just a lot of focus around Maguire…

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Probably not surprising as Laurie was brought in to look after defence, and Eddie loves his ex-league defence coaches and there was just a lot of focus around Maguire…
So if Taylor/Laurie were doing defence and up until earlier this year, Wisemantal was doing attack, what is McKellar covering?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Forwards.

Which is why I always thought it was weird to get Laurie in to do defence when he's mainly been a forwards coach too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Laurie’s focus was more breakdown? Anyway. We’ve got to start again basically. To be expected somewhat.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So if Taylor/Laurie were doing defence and up until earlier this year, Wisemantal was doing attack, what is McKellar covering?

McKellar - forwards
DuPlessis - scrum
Wisemantel - attack
Laurie - defence/breakdown - which has also been his role at the Brumbies the last few seasons, but will revert back to forwards coach under Bernie

Marce

Greg Davis (50)

I wait a big name like Maguire to replace Laurie cause I quite like this guy.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I thought Laurie’s focus was more breakdown? Anyway. We’ve got to start again basically. To be expected somewhat.
Defense and breakdown are interconnected, they go hand in hand mate. Scott Robertson became an assistant coach for Canterbury in his 30's shortly after he retired from playing where he spent many seasons coaching Canterbury's defense & breakdown after Robbie Deans told him to go specialize in one area. Canterbury won 6 consecutive NPC titles (2008-2013) while he was in charge of that area. Razor is the breakdown and defensive expert, as he learnt off the best, including the master Richie during his playing days.

So there's a clear solution for Laurie's replacement, Razor to coach D & breakdown as a temporary appointment for 2023 after Super season finishes, Nuicifora is the next best option being the breakdown king but he's unavailable until next year, Simon Cron perhaps?

Last edited:

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Razor is the breakdown and defensive expert, as he learnt off the master Richie in his playing days.
How did Razor learn from Richie if he finished his career in Saders in 2003 and Richie started in 2001???

So there's a clear solution for Laurie's replacement, Razor to coach D & breakdown as a temporary appointment for 2023 after Super season finishes

You only have 8 months to prepare a World Cup squad and you want an assistant coach for the last 3 months???? And someone who's going to coach NZ after WC, so he will steal all the secrets of your team. A very smart move lol

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We have this narrative that Eddie got rid of him, with little actual facts and a load of supposition

With the same facts, the new coach requires more commitment in time (away from home) than the assistant coach was prepared to deliver.

Coaching the Wobs (and playing for the wobs) is a big commitment in being on the road, away from home, it just doesn't suit everybody

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
We have this narrative that Eddie got rid of him, with little actual facts and a load of supposition

With the same facts, the new coach requires more commitment in time (away from home) than the assistant coach was prepared to deliver.

Coaching the Wobs (and playing for the wobs) is a big commitment in being on the road, away from home, it just doesn't suit everybody
Funny though that Eddie has said he'll use super coaches for a smash and grab..