• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
All Blacks cannot play more than five games in a row in the Super comp. That is the directive from above in a year when they will only get to play five internationals before the RWC kicks off.

Someone is controlling the game time of WBs this special year?
When the lunatics take over the asylum.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't know the Nth Hemi games schedule and his requirement to be there. Can McKellar work out the RWC or not? If not it will be considered another blow to our RWC chances but I'm not so sure.
He's new contract with the Tigers isn't going to take precedence over his existing one with RA, so it will be up to McKellar and RA to work that out. The article suggests the same:
Leicester players were told of the appointment today and it is understood that McKellar has informed Rugby Australia of his decision. It is unclear at this stage whether McKellar will remain with the Wallabies under Eddie Jones for this year’s World Cup or if he will be available to join Tigers this summer in time for pre-season. His start date is yet to be finalised. Jones, currently assembling his Australia coaching team, is known to be fond of McKellar and eager to retain his services if possible.

The beginning of the 2023-24 Premiership campaign is understood to be scheduled for the weekend of October 14, with the World Cup final staged a fortnight later on October 28. Premiership clubs will begin their preparations months prior to that.

Whether or not McKellar is able to link up with them over the summer, Leicester will need to undertake a drastic revamp of their coaching team. Having lost both Steve Borthwick and Kevin Sinfield, their defensive guru, before Christmas, they will also see Richard Wigglesworth and Aled Walters join the England staff at the end of the current campaign.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Coaches going overseas is tough. Seem like fewer come home than players do. I guess there's only 6 proper HC roles in Aus and you can't fit all of: Thorn, McKellar, Larkham, Cron, Coleman, Les Kiss, Andy Friend, Cheika, Jones.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It's a tough one. It is probably his best move to stay relevant and grow his resume.

He probably wants a level of security as well. Being a national assistant as we have seen can change quickly and if we had a poor showing at the RWC you can bet they are going to be sent packing first. Taking this job keeps his name near the top of the list for any future openings here.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Coaches going overseas is tough. Seem like fewer come home than players do. I guess there's only 6 proper HC roles in Aus and you can't fit all of: Thorn, McKellar, Larkham, Cron, Coleman, Les Kiss, Andy Friend, Cheika, Jones.
I'd like to see the U20s program elevated in terms of coaching - it should be one of the most important coaching positions in the country and is a great opportunity to give a head coach tournament experience on there path to the Wallabies or for an experienced coach to impart wisdom on the next crop. It's also key to the development of those players having an experienced pro coach who understands the standards that will be required of those players as they step into the super rugby scene.

Beyond that further investment in Women's rugby will help grow the number of professional riles on offer and depending on what happens with the Australia A program there might be room for a permanent/semi-permanent appointment there.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd like to see the U20s program elevated in terms of coaching - it should be one of the most important coaching positions in the country and is a great opportunity to give a head coach tournament experience on there path to the Wallabies or for an experienced coach to impart wisdom on the next crop. It's also key to the development of those players having an experienced pro coach who understands the standards that will be required of those players as they step into the super rugby scene.

Beyond that further investment in Women's rugby will help grow the number of professional riles on offer and depending on what happens with the Australia A program there might be room for a permanent/semi-permanent appointment there.
The issue is do we have the coaching talent to fill those roles?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe short sabbaticals, but the next 4 years is the best time to be in Australia playing rugby with both the Lions tour and home world cup.

I can't see any big names going over to be fair.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ugh no one's said it but look what happened when Friend went over to Connacht. McKellar is going to bring a lot of Aus players with him - eventually.
Surely with a name like Connal McInerney he has to have at least 1 irish grand parent. Surprised he hasn't been offered a boat load by some dreary, cloud covered province with a few hundred thousand depressed people. I guess he already lives in Canberra.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe short sabbaticals, but the next 4 years is the best time to be in Australia playing rugby with both the Lions tour and home world cup.

It's rarely the big names. Usually those on the fringes who can get more. We still really need those players, though. For depth n that.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely with a name like Connal McInerney he has to have at least 1 irish grand parent. Surprised he hasn't been offered a boat load by some dreary, cloud covered province with a few hundred thousand depressed people. I guess he already lives in Canberra.
I think hes capped?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

It is the elderly, looking to fund their super, and fringe units wanting to jump before the elderly fill the available spots