• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The issue is do we have the coaching talent to fill those roles?
I think we do. I was critical of Nathan Grey in the role last year as the team was very poor and he seems to have had a blessed run to the job.

Peter Hewat is with the Aussie Schools/U18s and it seems to have gone well. Gilmore had a fairly good run with the U20s as well I think.

I wouldn't mind seeing Super Rugby assistants getting involved in this as they are responsible for a lot of player development, and it gives them more exposure to head coaching. First that comes to mind is Pauli Taumoepeau who seems to be following the Coaches pathway of First grade for a few years then assistant with the Tahs. Would also be a great opportunity for the players to learn from someone like Laurie if he was into it.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we do. I was critical of Nathan Grey in the role last year as the team was very poor and he seems to have had a blessed run to the job.

Peter Hewat is with the Aussie Schools/U18s and it seems to have gone well. Gilmore had a fairly good run with the U20s as well I think.

I wouldn't mind seeing Super Rugby assistants getting involved in this as they are responsible for a lot of player development, and it gives them more exposure to head coaching. First that comes to mind is Pauli Taumoepeau who seems to be following the Coaches pathway of First grade for a few years then assistant with the Tahs. Would also be a great opportunity for the players to learn from someone like Laurie if he was into it.
Ghost good post. Laurie would be great in that role. Agree about Grey. At that age, the coach is critical to ensure they can perform well and lift for the big games. U20's is not only the most important team for our future but they are great to watch. I am looking forward to the June/July games in South Africa.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

According to GeeRob...

Eddie apparently pitched a succession plan to McKellar:

According to sources with knowledge of the move, who spoke on condition of anonymity, McKellar intends to take up the role before the Rugby World Cup, which starts in September.

However, the Australian is contracted until the end of the year, which may complicate his exit from the Wallabies set-up. The parties were locked in discussions on Monday.

The English season begins in mid-October, after the start of the World Cup, but pre-season training for Premiership clubs begins in July. Australia’s first Test in the Rugby Championship is against South Africa on July 8.

Jones also pitched a succession plan to McKellar but it appears to have been unsuccessful. The Wallabies coach is under pressure to assemble a quality coaching line-up, with less than seven months until their opening World Cup game against Georgia.

McKellar reportedly beat Michael Cheika and Rassie Erasmus to the Leicester job. Reports also said Tigers officials had consulted Borthwick on whom he believed should get the job.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I think hes capped?
Yes, he played one test

gettyimages-1325151511-2048x2048.jpg

https-vms-network-images-prod-s3-ap-southeast-2-amazonaws-com-2021-10-388172-pickerimage.jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hold on a sec, we have no idea if McKellar will be continuing with the Wallabies or not. The RWC is a smash and grab like Eddie says, there's going to be player turnover afterwards too, as long as he stays on and the rest of the assistants come from the Super coaches I think we'll be fine.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Talking of coaches with potential, I would put some money on Simon Cron. He did a great job with Norths in the Shute Shield.
Don't think he would leave the Force to coach U20's but might come into the Wallabies for RWC, I am guessing Coleman might be in front of him but both are excellent coaches.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
An update on the John Eales medal for 2022:
Almost three months on from the conclusion of the 2022 season, Rugby Australia [RA] will build towards the announcement of the John Eales Medal winner when it reveals the first of its awards on Thursday.

ESPN can reveal that RA's first award for 2022 will be announced on Thursday in Sydney, little more than 24 hours out from the official start of the 2023 rugby season when the Waratahs host the Brumbies in Sydney.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Strange time to have it, but it at least provides a publicity pump just before the Super Rugby season starts.
MIght have been better to host it the same day as the Super Rugby launch?