• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure about Hoiles at this stage. 1 year in MLR and now starting at Randwick which seems to be a revolving door of 1st grade coaches over the last few years.

Palmer seems like the obvious choice through availability and the chance this would give him to further his own development.

I'd thrown names out there like Justin Harrison before, but another might be Turinui who has some experience at Super Rugby level and many hold in high regard
But then who will commentate?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Gee I'd prefer to see Peter Breen come in for skills over BB (or even Gits over BB).
I've been critical of Barnes over the years but I think he's a guy who has had to work on his game rather than being an out and out talent like Gits so from what Eddie had to say on coaches corner I guess he'll could make a better coach.

On a side nore he was still playing in the northern rivers comp last year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Really have to hand it to Marinos & McLennan. They've done a sterling job of retaining this current crop of talent.

I'd say the most crucial domestic based players for the next cycle are (in no particular order): Bell, Tupou, Valetini, Ikitau, Ala'alatoa & McDermott, Frost & Longeran. Not sure of the last two but fairly sure the rest have all signed decent sized contracts.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Really have to hand it to Marinos & McLennan. They've done a sterling job of retaining this current crop of talent.

I'd say the most crucial domestic based players for the next cycle are (in no particular order): Bell, Tupou, Valetini, Ikitau, Ala'alatoa & McDermott, Frost & Longeran. Not sure of the last two but fairly sure the rest have all signed decent sized contracts.
Absolutely.

Throw in the signing of a kid like Jorgenson and the aim of retaining of youth talent. Was a kid in QLD (Frankie Goldsbrough) I can't think of the name last week or so as well so It's definitely going in a better direction than before.

Last edited:

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Greg Smith had a brain tumor and managed better than 38%

Much too simplistic view on things, IMO due to contextual circumstances it's hardly fair to compare records post-Deans with pre.

Context is very important, as there are simply too many administrational & circumstantial factors that have contributed to McKenzie, Cheika, Rennie poor win rates. Australian rugby was last in a strong position when John O'Neill was CEO and Nuicifora the high performance manager (2008-2012) and that is reflective of Dean's 59% record.

Every coach post-Deans has been fighting an increasingly uphill battle. Deans was the last beneficiary of a good administration and more importantly the talent pathways & development systems like U20's, Australian academies, functioning at an optimal level - Nuicifora was the key contributor here, as we're witnessing currently with Ireland. Deans reported to Nuicifora under this structure (controversially) and therefore is why I believe Australia has not employed a DOR/high performance manager since.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
On the flipside though Rennie had his fair share of concessions from the administration

Expanded Giteau Law and less pre-match commitments in test week (central base on GC) come to mind
I believe Australia has not employed a DOR/high performance manager since.
Scott Johnson was DOR from December 18 - 21. Whether he justified his hefty salary depends on who you talk to.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Tupou signed for two years only I think. Ikitau hasn't yet signed beyond 2023, and Frost is only signed to 2025 I believe.