• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Perhaps the numbers (when they did it right) from the indigenous jersey could be a permanent feature?
My exact thoughts. Glad they managed to sort the legibility issues, but from memory the revised version looked a bit worse in terms of continuity/design. Hopefully it's included as a permanent fixture and they nail it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
New Wallaroos jersey:

View attachment 13339

A new Wallabies jersey is coming?

Wallabies wore that jersey last year. That was the announcement then - Wallabies, Wallaroos and 7s will all wear the gold (except for inidigenous jersey). It's just that the Wallaroos didn't play last year.

Attachments

• ASICS-Bound-Forver-By-Gold-Tile-800x800.jpg
    ASICS-Bound-Forver-By-Gold-Tile-800x800.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 96

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Wallabies wore that jersey last year. That was the announcement then - Wallabies, Wallaroos and 7s will all wear the gold (except for inidigenous jersey). It's just that the Wallaroos didn't play last year.
Yes, however, the minor changes of the predominantly yellow collar, transparent background on the coat of arms, and the yellow piping/stitch (instead of green) above the green armband are a big improvement IMO. Makes it look a lot less 'top heavy'

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Collar looks different. Coat of arms a stand out difference. Colour the same which is great Me likey

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I know that (Wallabies last year jersey) but TBH I don't watch women rugby so I didn't know that they didn't play.

The 2021 Wallabies jersey is just the same 2020 jersey with a new colour. This Wallaroos jersey is a new design compare to the last Wallaroos jersey. So there's a hope that a new jersey is coming

A new design:
20220427_071739-merged.jpg

The same design with a different colour and obviously a new sponsor:
Marika-Koroibete-merged.jpg

The Wallabies design is from 2019, the last WC:
New-Australia-RWC-Jersey-2019.jpg

It's time for a change

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wallabies add test against Scotland during spring tour.

“No formal announcement has been made yet but Rugby Confidential’s Scottish moles reckon it’s locked in at Murrayfield for October 29, and will be followed by matches against France, Italy, Ireland and Wales.

With three home Tests against England in July plus two each against Argentina (away), South Africa (home) and New Zealand (split between Melbourne and Auckland), the Wallabies will play a total of 14 matches this year to prepare for the World Cup.”

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This is fantastic, best in years - would still love a permanent incorporation of some indigenous artwork similar to the once-a-season jerseys (which are always mega)

We have to beware of tokenism. The rival codes have a much higher proportion of indigenous players. We have a pretty dire history in this respect. Getting better.

We have to earn the right to wear a symbol of our First Nations people.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
This is fantastic, best in years
You are right, mate. I love it, the new Wallaroos jersey would be a perfect Wallabies jersey lol
20220427_175140.jpg

The positive thing about it, this prove that Asics is capable to create good designs. Also, the Buildcorp logo is more suitable than the Cadbury ones. As the board created a rule about the colour of the jersey, they should create a rule for the sponsors colours. All the sponsors have to be printed in green, like the ABs sponsors in white and the Boks sponsors in yellow.

The Cadbury logo in green instead of violet would be nicer and the Santos logo in the back too

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
We have to beware of tokenism. The rival codes have a much higher proportion of indigenous players. We have a pretty dire history in this respect. Getting better.

We have to earn the right to wear a symbol of our First Nations people.
I’m not sure embracing and encouraging recognition of a nation’s heritage on the national playing strip is tokenism, but it’s also not for me to say as a non-First Nations person.

Agree that more has to be done at a grassroots level though, which is what the NRL does very well across diverse communities.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Also, the Buildcorp logo is more suitable than the Cadbury ones. As the board created a rule about the colour of the jersey, they should create a rule for the sponsors colours. All the sponsors have to be printed in green, like the ABs sponsors in white and the Boks sponsors in yellow.

The Cadbury logo in green instead of violet would be nicer and the Santos logo in the back too
Agree that the darker colours look better (particularly the black of Buildcorp, and Qantas back in the day) but leads to issues for companies, such as Cadbury, where the colour is such a large part of their brand identity.

If they can’t promote their brand to the fullest extent, they would be less keen to pay top dollar. I’d much rather more cash from top-tier sponsors than a completely congruent jersey design.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I’m not sure embracing and encouraging recognition of a nation’s heritage on the national playing strip is tokenism, but it’s also not for me to say as a non-First Nations person.

Agree that more has to be done at a grassroots level though, which is what the NRL does very well across diverse communities.

Mate, the day is not so long ago that rugby was effectively all white in Australia. Certainly in my lifetime. We had the best part of 100 years of an all white game, in country towns particularly. There would still be people alive who remember this.

Ideally we should wait to be invited to wear indigenous symbols routinely.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Agree that the darker colours look better (particularly the black of Buildcorp, and Qantas back in the day) but leads to issues for companies, such as Cadbury, where the colour is such a large part of their brand identity.

If they can’t promote their brand to the fullest extent, they would be less keen to pay top dollar. I’d much rather more cash from top-tier sponsors than a completely congruent jersey design.
For that reason RA has to create a rule/law about the sponsors colours printed on the jersey. Now you have a rule about the colour of the jersey, if Nike or Adidas want to design the Wallabies jersey, they have to respect the law and create a jersey with golden yellow. It's an imposition, they can't suggest a different colour, they sign a deal knowing that.

The ABs sponsors are whites always:
eight_col_All_Blacks_jersey.jpg

1643259435277.jpg

The Boks sponsors are yellow always:
SAYouth_1600x.png

Look at this one. The DHL logo in the Stormers jersey is red in a yellow rectangle:
2021-DHL-Stormers-Home-jersey_front__.jpg

Buuuut for the Springboks jersey the logo is printed in yellow:
SpringboksJersey_2_1200x.png

It's a national team. You can do that, the ARU already has a rule for the colour of the jersey lol

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Mate, the day is not so long ago that rugby was effectively all white in Australia. Certainly in my lifetime. We had the best part of 100 years of an all white game, in country towns particularly. There would still be people alive who remember this.

Ideally we should wait to be invited to wear indigenous symbols routinely.
Absolutely. I don't think anyone would suggest doing something of this nature without the blessing, support and close consultation of the first nations community

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
For that reason Rugby Australia has to create a rule/law about the sponsors colours printed on the jersey. Now you have a rule about the colour of the jersey, if Nike or Adidas want to design the Wallabies jersey, they have to respect the law and create a jersey with golden yellow. It's an imposition, they can't suggest a different colour, they sign a deal knowing that.

The ABs sponsors are whites always:
View attachment 13348
View attachment 13349

The Boks sponsors are yellow always:
View attachment 13350
Look at this one. The DHL logo in the Stormers jersey is red in a yellow rectangle:
View attachment 13351
Buuuut for the Springboks jersey the logo is printed in yellow:
View attachment 13352
It's a national team. You can do that, the ARU already has a rule for the colour of the jersey lol
I understand your line of thinking and that it is already done, my point being that the value of the sponsorship would likely decrease for organisations such as Cadbury (who are infamously attached to their purple) if it's not in their brand colours - and I'm not sure Aus Rugby is a position to be limiting sponsor dollars in any way

Last edited:

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
What you say is pretty right Wamberal, although there was an anomaly to that in Armidale in the early 80's. There was a (very successful) all aboriginal league team called Narwan, who had a big internal dispute, which resulted in a number of their top players moving to rugby and playing for Armidale City. It worked wonderfully, there were some excellent players among them, they were well accepted and fitted in very well socially.

There have for a long time been aboriginals at the top level, but not many. Think the Ella's, Andrew Walker, Jim Williams, Matt Hodgson and Kurtley Beal, admittedly underrepresented. Waratahs wing Dylan Peitsch is, I believe, of indigenous heritage.