• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

John Thornett (49)
My take on Philip is sometimes his attitude and enthusiasm is actually an issue. There's been a few times this season where I've noticed a defensive error he's responsible for because he's too enthusiastic to be there.
Well, he plays in an underdog team and his always fighting for survive. In a better environment with better comrades he should improve in defense. I mean, in every Rebels game at 15 minutes the game is lost, at international level the things should be differents

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gamble is a kiwi isn’t he? Does he pass the residency criteria yet? Holloway would be my smokey for #20, covers 4,5,6 & 8 and Wilson covers 7 on the off chance hooper has to go off. Wilkin would be my second choice smokey.
Gamble been around for a while - starred in subbies if I remember so must be past the 5 year rule. Surely must be close to wallaby squad selection if so.

On backrow we do have a lot of form players as yes Wilkin been very good this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gamble been around for a while - starred in subbies if I remember so must be past the 5 year rule. Surely must be close to wallaby squad selection if so.

On backrow we do have a lot of form players as yes Wilkin been very good this year.

As a Kiwi, he has a tougher path, especially if he visits his homeland too regularly as the eligibility clock can reset

And more importantly he isn't up to it (so far) as a Super Rugby 6, let alone a test 6, and we have better 7 options

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
As a Kiwi, he has a tougher path, especially if he visits his homeland too regularly as the eligibility clock can reset

And more importantly he isn't up to it (so far) as a Super Rugby 6, let alone a test 6, and we have better 7 options
No not a test 6 (he did just get in rugby Australia’s team of week at 6 so harsh to say not super rugby 6) but would be in the mix for test 7 at wallaby squad level as he would probably be 3rd best seven behind hooper and Mcreight at the moment.

Anyhow very good player…

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No not a test 6 (he did just get in rugby Australia’s team of week at 6 so harsh to say not super rugby 6) but would be in the mix for test 7 at wallaby squad level as he would probably be 3rd best seven behind hooper and Mcreight at the moment.

Anyhow very good player…
He plays as a second 7 from 6, teams of the week selection rewarded his work doing 7 stuff not his core responsibilities as a 6

and I think Samu would be played at 7 before him at the Wobs

(good 7 though)

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think there is little doubt that Hooper and McReight are our two best 7's. What Samu, Liam Wright and Gamble offer is a player who can be effective at either 6 or 7, and thus make a great backrow reserve. Right now Samu is the incumbent in that role, but on form I believe Gamble has been the best of the three.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think there is little doubt that Hooper and McReight are our two best 7's. What Samu, Liam Wright and Gamble offer is a player who can be effective at either 6 or 7, and thus make a great backrow reserve. Right now Samu is the incumbent in that role, but on form I believe Gamble has been the best of the three.
Not sure those latter three are effective 6s at test level.

Maybe in the last 20.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
He plays as a second 7 from 6, teams of the week selection rewarded his work doing 7 stuff not his core responsibilities as a 6

and I think Samu would be played at 7 before him at the Wobs

(good 7 though)
The fact is it worked well with hooper and gamble (at 6) so to say but super rugby 6 quality still tough on him.

o
I think you are right. Gamble not far behind Mcreight but the latter is ahead as he probably been the form 7 this season and only yes because hooper missing. I think when hooper moves on showing we don’t lose too much with Mcreight ready to step in as someone who looks equally potentially world class.

I think Gamble with performance at 6 last week for tahs showing he is now viable bench option to potentially replace Samu. But first step to make that a reality is getting picked in the wallaby squad. Equally though Wilkin for rebels stepped up this season playing 7 and 6 so he would be in the mix as well if continues with Current form.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The fact is it worked well with hooper and gamble (at 6) so to say but super rugby 6 quality still tough on him.

o

I think you are right. Gamble not far behind Mcreight but the latter is ahead as he probably been the form 7 this season and only yes because hooper missing. I think when hooper moves on showing we don’t lose too much with Mcreight ready to step in as someone who looks equally potentially world class.

I think Gamble with performance at 6 last week for tahs showing he is now viable bench option to potentially replace Samu. But first step to make that a reality is getting picked in the wallaby squad. Equally though Wilkin for rebels stepped up this season playing 7 and 6 so he would be in the mix as well if continues with Current form.
Gamble is the goods. A different player to McReight and Samu. He is a good fit with Hooper.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gamble is the goods. A different player to McReight and Samu. He is a good fit with Hooper.
Yes sadly Mcreight is next best seven behind hooper but as does not have same versatility as Samu, Wilkin and Gamble not a viable bench option. But definitely hoopers heir for 7 when hooper moves on.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Yes sadly Mcreight is next best seven behind hooper but as does not have same versatility as Samu, Wilkin and Gamble not a viable bench option. But definitely hoopers heir for 7 when hooper moves on.
Rennie has to somehow get McReight some game time. I’m guessing he is probably only signed up until the end of 2023 and he will attract some big overseas offers. He has been the standout 7 all year in Aus and was excellent again last night.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
What are thoughts with Jermaine Ainsley? Playing well now he is back across the ditch. Is wallaby capped but almost passed the eligibility period now so could end up playing for the all blacks. Front row depth beyond the main 4 is not great so might be needed in future. Guess it just comes down to who he wants to represent