• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Ok. My possible Wallaby squad and then an Aussie A squad of leftovers. I’ve made the decision of not picking players for the As who are leaving the country next year. So no LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Frost, Simone etc.

View attachment 13305
I think you have nailed the Wallabies. I would make some changes to the A team but more based on up and coming players with potential rather than performance to date.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Nice teams Reg. Only changes I would make is for JOC (James O'Connor) into the 23. With Hunter there, we don't have anyone that can play 10 if Quade goes down.

I'd also bring Smith into starting with Blyth in the A team. They've been the best pairing in Aus this year and compliment each other.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Unfortunately, for me anyways, I think Rennie would probably pick White for his game management and kicking whether his form warrants it or not. I’d prefer Tate and Gordon as they play the style I want to see played. But he picked Swinton last year more on the job he could do within his game plan even when it could’ve been argued others were in better form.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The gap has narrowed considerably though. Tate is growing and I think White has been a bit off so far this season. As for game management, he’s just as likely currently to give away a game turning niggly penalty than anything else. I’d like to see him lift a bit before any potential start.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would assume Rennie will likely stick with White for his superior passing, kicking, and game management…

They seem to be important attributes for a test scrumhalf.
I mean yes but he's showing none of that this year. Longeran has taken his spot for a reason.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I mean yes but he's showing none of that this year. Longeran has taken his spot for a reason.
nick seems to be reveling too much in his role as some archetypically dislikeable bastard like dastardly. all he's missing is muttley. needs to button up and let his playing do the talking.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
White has been solid if not at his best but has the runs on the board at test level. I think it's a pretty big stretch to suggest Gordon, who has missed close to half the season with injury, has pushed him out of the 23 particularly when Gordon is still to demonstrate he can replicate his super rugby form at test match level.

As far as White v McDermott goes, it was often horses for courses last year and I can see that continuing. If O'Connor gets the nod at 10 that may edge McDermott the start first up, but realistically they are going to share plenty of minutes. As things stand I'll be surprised if Gordon features before the Rugby Championship (barring injury/suspension).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
White missed the Force game, and then came off the bench against the Reds the following week due to the birth of his third child...

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I think you have nailed the Wallabies. I would make some changes to the A team but more based on up and coming players with potential rather than performance to date.
I agree, Australia A has to be a young team in order to give game time to develop players like Pasitoa, Will Harris or Will Harrison and players without international experience like Ryan Lonergan or Andy Muirhead. It shouldn't be for players like Gordon, White or Tom Robertson who know what is to play at international level

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Very left field pick, but Harry Potter has been killing it in the English prem. Might be worth getting him in the squad for the end of year tour or Aus A.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
This can all change once we come up against the NZ sides, but I think we are starting to get a clear look at a starting Wallaby forward pack. I think Bell is really pushing his claim to start at loose head, although am still comfortable with Slipper there, but I think Bell's scrummaging is now up to the task and his play around the paddock is more effective. Porecki has been the most consistent performer at hooker, and I think with Mafi not getting onto the paddock yet he gets the spot from a fairly indifferent field. Tupou is a no-brainer at tight head, AAA his back-up, and the three locks are Philip, Swain and Rodda. My starting pick is Rodda and Philip, but any combination is fine. A back-row of Valetini, Hooper and Wilson for me is shaping as the best choice.
The two question marks are back-up hooker and back row. With Mafi injured, Uelese mostly injured, and Lonergan (in my opinion, many will disagree) too small for a test hooker, we are left with FF (Folau Fainga'a) and Kaitu'u. My choice would be Kaitu'u, but you could go either way.
Reserve for the back row is really open. Leota was in the run on side last year, but needs to get back on the paddock, Eru and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) have both been good, but given neither were in Rennie's earlier squad you would have to consider them long shots. The problem with all of these is none can cover 7, should Hooper get injured. McReight can, but would only be needed if Hooper was injured (doesn't happen very often) and doesn't cover the other spots. So ideally you have someone who can cover 6 and 7 (Valetini can always shift to 8 to cover there), which is basically Wright, Samu, and the smokey here, Gamble. Given Wright is battling to make the Reds run-on side, it leaves the incumbent Samu, or the in-form Gamble. I'm thinking the Kiwi matches might answer that one for us.