• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
I'm thinking the Kiwi matches might answer that one for us.
You are right. Everything in the garden is rosy until facing the Kiwis
1_9HUWEH7YlEmOL79QgqwpVg.jpeg.jpg

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
That might be pushing the boat out a bit, but he was immense on the weekend I thought. Really like him in the Wallaby setup.
Yep like him in the setup but best lock in the world is a hyperbole, I'm not even sure he makes the top 15.

I'd take Itoje, Etzebeth, Rettalick, Willemese, Whitelock, AWJ, Arnold, Woki, Ryan, De Jager, Beirne, Rodda ahead of him right now.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
He was excellent in attack. Lazy in defence. I think he’s an impact player at test level.
I have noted this too Reg.

He seems to get caught on his heels/flat footed quite a bit. Wonder if a little tweaking of his technique would make a decent difference.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My take on Philip is sometimes his attitude and enthusiasm is actually an issue. There's been a few times this season where I've noticed a defensive error he's responsible for because he's too enthusiastic to be there.

One was a chase down field after a kick. He was first there and got easily stepped by the fullback or wing that retrieved the ball. He'd have been better off holding back a bit for another defender coming through so they were a joint defensive line that could apply more pressure to the ball carrier.

The other one that comes to mind was him being second widest in the defensive line and getting absolutely gassed by the back he was against. Now maybe there was no other player who could have made it out there to cover that spot in the defensive line but the defender also needs to realise he's set up in a mismatch and try and shift his position such that a faster player is covering that spot. From memory it was off fairly static ball.

That decision making is really important in my view as it undermines some of the great stuff he does.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My take on Philip is sometimes his attitude and enthusiasm is actually an issue. There's been a few times this season where I've noticed a defensive error he's responsible for because he's too enthusiastic to be there.

I've noticed this too. It's a bit like when a replacement comes on and it's too enthusiastic and follows the ball too much, ends up barely making any tackles.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'm a big fan of Philip, and I would have him start. Having said that, he's one of the slowest players in pro rugby, just looks really awkward when he runs.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I'm a big fan of Philip, and I would have him start. Having said that, he's one of the slowest players in pro rugby, just looks really awkward when he runs.
Think that's unfair on him. Think he suffers from the Hodge effect, long limbs make awkward travel but still going quick.

His break(s) on the weekend showed he has speed.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Attitude or technique.
I don't think it's attitude- based as he's generally pretty enthusiastic to get off the line and hit a defender

As Purce said I think it's a combination of poor technique and a lack of coordination/ athleticism to react.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Think that's unfair on him. Think he suffers from the Hodge effect, long limbs make awkward travel but still going quick.

His break(s) on the weekend showed he has speed.
The Hodge- effect is a real phenomenon.

Great athletes who can at times appear to be, or actually be, exceptionally uncoordinated or awkward.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
As I said, I rate Philip and he would be in my Wallaby starting 15, however I disagree on speed. I can't recall which game, but remember him chasing someone (not someone particularly quick) and he really looked like he was bogged in cement.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
we are left with FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) and Kaitu'u. My choice would be Kaitu'u, but you could go either way.
I prefer watching Kaitu'u but cannot really separate them as players at this stage of their career. I think Kaitu'u has more chance of improving if exposed to International play and if he doesn't work out FF (Folau Fainga'a) is a pretty decent stop gap measure.

Top Bottom