• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Following your lead, here is my 34 man squad comprised of fit / healthy with no overseas picks for the April camp:

Hookers (3): Porecki, Latu, Lonergan
Props (6): Slipper, Gibbon, Robertson, Alaalaatoa, Talakai, Fa’amausili
Second Row (4): Frost, Neville, Swain, Holloway
Backrow (6): Valetini, Samu, Hooper, McReight, Gleeson, Wilson
Halfback (3): White, Lonergan, McDermott
Flyhalf (3): Lolesio, Gordon, O'Connor
Centres (3): Foketi, Ikitau, Flook
Outside Backs (6): Wright, Nawaqanitawase, Toole, Kellaway, Vunivalu, Petaia

Not considered due to injury: Phillip, Rodda, Leota, Bell, Tupou, Paisami

Unlucky: Wilkin, L. Wright, Perese, Fainga'a, Mafi

Here is my 33 man squad for the RWC assuming 4 overseas picks and everyone fit and healthy

Hookers (3): Porecki, Latu, Lonergan
Props (6): Slipper, Gibbon, Bell, Alaalaatoa, Tupou, Fa’amausili
Second Row (3): Frost, Rodda, Skelton,
Backrow (6): Valetini, Samu, Hooper, McReight, Gleeson, Holloway (covering 2nd row)
Halfback (3): White, Lonergan, McDermott
Flyhalf (4): Cooper, Lolesio (Gordon if successfully trialed in Rugby Champ),
Centres (4): Foketi, Ikitau, Kerevi, Hodge (cover 10)
Outside Backs (5): Wright, Nawaqanitawase, Koroibete, Kellaway, Petaia
Nice work.

That April Camp Tight 5 group is a worry for me. I really hope Bell is fit come RWC. Tupou will need some Club footy IMO. Less worried about that with Bell. With Slipper and AAA getting a lot of mileage on the rig now.

The RWC squad looks a lot more formidable and the group of backs definitely look to be able score some points. Hodge is a must with the form he's shown for the Rebels. I don't see any of the fringe blokes squeezing in like L Wright, H Wilson without injury meaning they getting meaningful minutes in the Rugby Championship and perform.

Eddie's Eyebrows

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nice work.

That April Camp Tight 5 group is a worry for me. I really hope Bell is fit come RWC. Tupou will need some Club footy IMO. Less worried about that with Bell. With Slipper and AAA getting a lot of mileage on the rig now.

The RWC squad looks a lot more formidable and the group of backs definitely look to be able score some points. Hodge is a must with the form he's shown for the Rebels. I don't see any of the fringe blokes squeezing in like L Wright, H Wilson without injury meaning they getting meaningful minutes in the Rugby Championship and perform.
Agreed. The tight 5 for the April camp is certainly the weakest component of the team. Gibbon, Talakai and Neville are all workmanlike toilers but not world beaters.

L Wright or Wilkin may be able to muscle into the frame at the expense of McReight depending on what Eddie wants from his openside. They're both stronger on the defensive side of the ball but aren't quite as strong as a link player. L Wright may be worth considering as a taller openside, especially if we Eddie goes with Skelton in the row.

I'm a Harry Wilson fan, but gee the backrow is getting crowded. I think he'll be around the squad but won't make the RWC squad thanks to the flexibility offered by others Holloway (4, 6), Samu (6, 7, 8) and Valetini (6, 8). Wilson and Gleeson will be going head-to-head for the one spot. Gleeson's explosiveness edges him for me.

The only smokey's for the backline I can foresee at this stage are Toole, C Gordon, Flook and Jorgensen. The composition of the backs I think will largely depend on the fitness of Keverei & Cooper as well as the number of overseas picks.

Squeezing Skelton, Foley, Cooper, Keveri and Koroibete into 3 spaces is incredibly challenging. I think Keveri and Cooper select themselves (subject to being 100% fit). Skelton is a point of difference to the forward pack which we sorely need. He has the ability to take us from the bullied to the bullies.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
No, he didn't. He acknowledged the impact of combinations while laughing at the obvious commentator for spruiking the bleeding obvious. Eddie never accepted it as a demanded requirement for his team selections. My interpretation was that it might be a final issue if everything else was equal, after pretty much saying that in selection everything else was not equal.
Same. Same. Not just once has Eddie pressed on this. Combinations are critical in any team sport. Combinations come in many forms. Physical size and strength, attack, defence, speed and agility, kicking, game management, ball control.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agreed. The tight 5 for the April camp is certainly the weakest component of the team. Gibbon, Talakai and Neville are all workmanlike toilers but not world beaters.

L Wright or Wilkin may be able to muscle into the frame at the expense of McReight depending on what Eddie wants from his openside. They're both stronger on the defensive side of the ball but aren't quite as strong as a link player. L Wright may be worth considering as a taller openside, especially if we Eddie goes with Skelton in the row.

I'm a Harry Wilson fan, but gee the backrow is getting crowded. I think he'll be around the squad but won't make the RWC squad thanks to the flexibility offered by others Holloway (4, 6), Samu (6, 7, 8) and Valetini (6, 8). Wilson and Gleeson will be going head-to-head for the one spot. Gleeson's explosiveness edges him for me.

The only smokey's for the backline I can foresee at this stage are Toole, C Gordon, Flook and Jorgensen. The composition of the backs I think will largely depend on the fitness of Keverei & Cooper as well as the number of overseas picks.

Squeezing Skelton, Foley, Cooper, Keveri and Koroibete into 3 spaces is incredibly challenging. I think Keveri and Cooper select themselves (subject to being 100% fit). Skelton is a point of difference to the forward pack which we sorely need. He has the ability to take us from the bullied to the bullies.
Wallabies featuring QC (Quade Cooper) and Koroibete on their Facebook if that’s anything to go by.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
It's not that unusual for a player to perform for the Wallabies, be quiet in a poor Super team and then perform again for the Wallabies, all in a 12 month period.

I would certainly take Foketi in the squad. He looked comfortable at Test level.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Fwiw Tupou and Folau Fainga'a are both in Sydney right now on what looks like wallabies duties, seems pretty likely they'll both be in the camp.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yes, Australian Super Rugby teams, known for attracting mass amounts of international talent

In round 5, neither Rebels starting centres were Wallaby eligible, the Brumbies 12 isn't Wallabies eligible and the Force 13 isn't Wallabies eligible.

Given Kerevi isn't in the country (and is still injured) and Paisami is also now out with a substantial injury it's hard to make a Wallabies squad without Foketi and/or Perese in the centres even if their form hasn't been fantastic.

If you were looking at form Australian centres you're really only talking about Ikitau and Flook.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Fwiw Tupou and Folau Fainga'a are both in Sydney right now on what looks like wallabies duties, seems pretty likely they'll both be in the camp.

TT might also be something to do with he rehab, he said in an interview last week that RA has taken over his rehab

Its also possible he could be in sydney for 2 things haha

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
TT might also be something to do with he rehab, he said in an interview last week that Rugby Australia has taken over his rehab

Its also possible he could be in sydney for 2 things haha

He has been rehabbing in Brisbane still, between his local club and Reds facilities. He may end up moving elsewhere but I imagine he would stay close to home.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You know things are going well when you've got Betoota favourite Paul Kent writing op-eds in the Murdoch rags to attack rugby...

13 reasons rugby is dying in Australia

Rugby Australia boss Hamish McLennan celebrated the Joseph-Aukuso Sua'ali'i coup as rest of the world scratched their heads in confusion, writes PAUL KENT.

Spoiler: he doesn't actually list 13 reasons...

A bit of background on Paul Kent:

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
In round 5, neither Rebels starting centres were Wallaby eligible, the Brumbies 12 isn't Wallabies eligible and the Force 13 isn't Wallabies eligible.

Given Kerevi isn't in the country (and is still injured) and Paisami is also now out with a substantial injury it's hard to make a Wallabies squad without Foketi and/or Perese in the centres even if their form hasn't been fantastic.

If you were looking at form Australian centres you're really only talking about Ikitau and Flook.
That what I'm saying. If @Braveheart81 says it, it's a clever comment. If @Marce says it, it's a foolish comment

There's plenty game time in Aussie sides to give to someone like Tupulotu Junior before he goes to try luck in Scotland

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

such a clever comment.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
You know things are going well when you've got Betoota favourite Paul Kent writing op-eds in the Murdoch rags to attack rugby...

Spoiler: he doesn't actually list 13 reasons...

A bit of background on Paul Kent:

This was my favorite one hahahahaha