• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I’d say HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) would be next can off the rank at present behind the main 4. He might even have pushed himself into the 23. Injury and form probably makes the pecking order after that unclear.
I'd say so but isn't he injured as well ?

Reactions: TSR

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I’d say HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) would be next can off the rank at present behind the main 4. He might even have pushed himself into the 23. Injury and form probably makes the pecking order after that unclear.
I'd agree he has pushed himself back in the '5th' spot which is ideal for someone who can play both sides. However, Slipper can also play both sides and could be argued he could play THP better then HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) can, and Sio has been doing well. Maths time.

In order
LHP: Bell, Slipper, Sio
THP: Tupou, Ala'alatoa, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)

But could easily be this, and considering utility value
LHP: Bell, Slipper, Sio, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes),
THP: Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Slipper, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes).

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'd agree he has pushed himself back in the '5th' spot which is ideal for someone who can play both sides. However, Slipper can also play both sides and could be argued he could play THP better then HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) can, and Sio has been doing well. Maths time.

In order
LHP: Bell, Slipper, Sio
THP: Tupou, Ala'alatoa, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes)

But could easily be this, and considering utility value
LHP: Bell, Slipper, Sio, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes),
THP: Tupou, Ala'alatoa, Slipper, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes).
Yeah if everyone's fit we are pretty much arguing over the 5th place Prop. Pretty easy to go

Bell/Slipper
AAA/Thor

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A little off topic. But how good is Wednesday when we know the Aussie teams all get named??

It's such a better system.

Everyone knows that it's a bit more up in the air given sometimes it might be close to four days out from the game (if it's a Sunday game) but in most situations, coaches know who they are going to name by then and if there are some changes due to injury etc. that's fine.

Getting the information out there sooner in a coordinated manner that people want to check out when it drops is way more important than having a (potentially) more accurate team named 48 hours before kickoff.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's such a better system.

Everyone knows that it's a bit more up in the air given sometimes it might be close to four days out from the game (if it's a Sunday game) but in most situations, coaches know who they are going to name by then and if there are some changes due to injury etc. that's fine.

Getting the information out there sooner in a coordinated manner that people want to check out when it drops is way more important than having a (potentially) more accurate team named 48 hours before kickoff.

It's such a good system but so frustrating that the Kiwis have been so recalcitrant in getting on board after apparently agreeing to it for the crossover portion of the competition. There's no legitimate reason they can't name teams in time with everyone else, really need them to start getting on board with the easy wins for competition presentation and marketing.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah if everyone's fit we are pretty much arguing over the 5th place Prop. Pretty easy to go

Bell/Slipper
AAA/Thor
Absolutely. For me, in terms of the 5th prop. Still Sio IMO as Slipper is a utility and Sio in form.

Next 4 would be probably, Orr & Gibbon with Faamausili and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes). I don't, have ever, or will have time for Robertson.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I just wonder if HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is pushing himself into contention for the 23. His scrummaging has improved and his work rate has been as good as anyones.

Although I guess the real caveat on all of this is that Tupou, Ala'alatoa and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) are all under some sort of injury cloud.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The other factor with Tupou is when will he actually be 'fit'.

A calf injury to our biggest body isn't ideal from a rehab and running perspective.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Also, whilst the argument is effectively over the 5th & 6th props, given that modern props rarely/never play 80 minutes at test level I think it’ll remain very important. On current form I’d guess if Tupou or Ala'alatoa isn’t available then they’ll pick Johnson-Holmes and leave Slipper at LHP

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

A calf injury to our biggest body isn't ideal from a rehab and running perspective.

Thankfully there's a heated pool at Victoria park and I'm fairly sure all Rugby clubs have these;

skierg2-female.jpg

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

Pone was a calf injury during preseason, and his only just back to the bench now. Similar build to Tupou so won't be a easy recovery.

I'd take Robertson over Orr or Gibbon.
Gibbon has been very under rated even by Rebels fans this season, his set piece has been solid and defense better then most of our other props. He caused the turnover for the Kellaway try last weekend.