• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Are they expanding matchday test squads?
I just think that last year Reds should have had more players in the 23 , this year not so much and a couple that were in are less likely. The other teams may get a couple in, but deservingly the Brumbies will dominate

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Are they expanding matchday test squads?
Usually picking players from a team that's winning is a good formula..

I know as a Reds fan you'd only pick Valetini in the starting Wallabies team from the Brumbies. Lucky for the Wallabies non of us are selectors.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I do wonder Tomkin whether you had any misgivings last year that players from the Reds were passed over for Brumbies players, given your comments about picking players from winning teams.

IMO all of Sllipper, Fainga’a, Ala'alatoa, Swain, Neville, Frost, Valetini & Samu will be in the sqaud and a good number of them in the 23. And deservedly so.

But I could easily see a starting team of Bell, Porecki, Tupou, Philip, Rodda, Hooper, Holloway/Wilson/Leota, Valetini and I think you’d be hard pressed to say any of those selections would be unwarranted.

I’m not sure that’s the likely team at the moment with the injury to Tupou, but you’d be hard pressed not to say those aren’t the form players in each position.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Having watched all our Super Rugby games the Wobs will have even more Brumbies than last year.
Who makes it who missed out last year? I actually don't agree. Lonerganx2, McInerney Muirhead and Neville will miss out but Frost and Sio might come in.

7As (Allan Ala'alatoa), Banks, Fainga'a, Ikitau, Lolesio, Samu, Slipper, Swain, Valetini, White and Wright will all be in the squad.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Who makes it who missed out last year? I actually don't agree. Lonerganx2, McInerney Muirhead and Neville will miss out but Frost and Sio might come in.

7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) (Allan Ala'alatoa), Banks, Fainga'a, Ikitau, Lolesio, Samu, Slipper, Swain, Valetini, White and Wright will all be in the squad.
I would add Simone and think almost all of them will be in the 23. JP and Paisami will find it tough to get in, so more Brums, less others

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I do wonder Tomkin whether you had any misgivings last year that players from the Reds were passed over for Brumbies players, given your comments about picking players from winning teams.

IMO of Sllipper, Fainga’a, Ala'alatoa, Swain, Neville, Frost, Valetini & Samu will be in the sqaud and a good number of them in the 23. And deservedly so.

But I could easily see a starting team of Bell, Porecki, Tupou, Philip, Rodda, Hooper, Holloway/Wilson/Leota, Valetini and I think you’d be hard pressed to say any of those selections would be unwarranted.

I’m not sure that’s the likely team at the moment with the injury to Tupou, but you’d be hard pressed not to say those aren’t the form players in each position.
I was just having a dig back at Adam for saying there was two many Brumbies last year.

I could realistically see a case for only one of our pack starting being Bobby V.

I'd have White, Ikitua and probably Banks although if Petiea gets more time at fullback he is an option.

Slipper / AAA will be on the bench .. possible Swain Samu and a back Noah / Wright maybe

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I was just having a dig back at Adam for saying there was two many Brumbies last year.
But I didn’t say that..

My comment about expanding the match-day squad was in reply to the suggestion there will be more Brumbies players in the Wallabies then last year.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would add Simone and think almost all of them will be in the 23. JP and Paisami will find it tough to get in, so more Brums, less others
Sorry I did forget to mention Irae Simone but I think he will miss out too.

I don't think Paisami (12 or 13) or Petaia (11,13,14 or 15) are competing against Simone (12). His competition is really Samu Kerevi, Lalakai Foketi and Matt To'omua.

Kerevi is a lock. To'omua doesnt make it due to his head injuries and form so on current form (which is pretty similar) I'd go with Foketi based on the fact he is sticking around and Simone is going OS but neither will be close to starting unless their are some injuries.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) (Allan Ala'alatoa), Banks, Fainga'a, Ikitau, Lolesio, Samu, Slipper, Swain, Valetini, White and Wright will all be in the squad.

Yeah exactly, also with the Tahs improving as well I don’t see who is included from the Brumbies that wasn’t there last year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I won’t be surprised if Neville makes it, but won’t be surprised if he misses out either.

6 remains a pretty open position IMO. I think Leota did well last year, but not to the point where he has locked down the spot. You’d have to think Swinton is pretty much out of contention unless he comes back very soon. I don’t think Hanigan would be in the mix for me at present although I probably have a higher opinion of him then many. I’d like to see Uru get a shot, but I think too many others are probably in front of him.

In terms of form, Wilson & Valetini have been consistently outstanding in terms of backrowers, but Holloway and Frost have also been very good and, IMO, have qualities that I think could convert well into a test level 6. As good as Wilson has been, Valetini’s form and the lineout prowess of some of the other options may well work against him.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah exactly, also with the Tahs improving as well I don’t see who is included from the Brumbies that wasn’t there last year.
I'm not talking about the squad. More the starting 15. Frost abd maybe Swain. Vallentini is a certainty Simone a bolter. Perese the only bolter from the Tahs. I don't really care. It was just an observation based on current form and I'm hardly a selector but nearly half of the 23 will be Brumbies

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'm not talking about the squad. More the starting 15. Frost abd maybe Swain. Vallentini is a certainty Simone a bolter. Perese the only bolter from the Tahs. I don't really care. It was just an observation based on current form and I'm hardly a selector but nearly half of the 23 will be Brumbies
Simone? Maybe in the squad.. but starting XV? doubt it.

Rest of them like White, Lolelesio, Banks, AAA, Slipper, Valetini, Samu, Wright, Ikitau, Swain, Fainga'a were all regular starters/match-day 23 last year. Realistically the only one who wasn’t there last year but will probably be included this year is Frost. Although he is departing and the return of Rodda and Holloway has thrown up extra competition at lock.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I haven’t seen anything official, but I did read a report that Frost was expected to reject his OS offer and stay in Australia.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Simone? Maybe in the squad.. but starting XV? doubt it.

Rest of them like White, Lolelesio, Banks, AAA, Slipper, Valetini, Samu, Wright, Ikitau, Swain, Fainga'a were all regular starters/match-day 23 last year. Realistically the only one who wasn’t there last year but will probably be included this year is Frost. Although he is departing and the return of Rodda and Holloway has thrown up extra competition at lock.
Simone's was the form 12 this round IMHO. I dont know if Paisami is injured but he isn't in great form. As I said , I'm not a selector and presumably neither are you, so I guess we wait for the team to be announced

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Simone's was the form 12 this round IMHO. I dont know if Paisami is injured but he isn't in great form. As I said , I'm not a selector and presumably neither are you, so I guess we wait for the team to be announced
No, I’m not a selector, I was just replying to your comment about selections.