• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
And my 1st team on current form would be
1 Bell
2 Poereki
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Frost
6 Samu
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 White
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Muirhead
12 Simone
13 Perese
14 Wright
15 Banks
16 Fainga'a
17 Sipper
18 AAAAA
19 Swain
20 Gamble
21 McDermott
22 Lolesio
23 Hodge

McRieght unlucky, but Hooper can play for 80 and its a pretty much like for like. Holloway in great form but too small to be a lock at international level IMO. Could get in as a lock back row utility though Gordon and McDermott a toss up. Doesn't take into consideration the imports

Edit. I'm not a selector. Post your own tems if you disagree with mine

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's the way you questioned my selections that made me think you must have some superior knowledge

could this have something to do with it?

Simone's was the form 12 this round IMHO. I dont know if Paisami is injured but he isn't in great form. As I said , I'm not a selector and presumably neither are you, so I guess we wait for the team to be announced

On the basis of that statement there alone, I suspect he does have superior knowledge.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
"In form" and Hodge haven't gone together in several years......

Can't imagine if Samu got injured and we had a backrow of Gamble, Robby V and Hooper. May as well just give the opposition the ball every time it was our throw in.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
"In form" and Hodge haven't gone together in several years......

Can't imagine if Samu got injured and we had a backrow of Gamble, Robby V and Hooper. May as well just give the opposition the ball every time it was our throw in.
Fine, put Kellaway at 23. What's your team?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I thought I read Gamble isn't eligible to play for the Wallabies until next year. If he's eligible, imo he is the ideal backrow cover, as he can cover all three spots and is in better form than Samu or Wright, the other two with that ability.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought I read Gamble isn't eligible to play for the Wallabies until next year. If he's eligible, imo he is the ideal backrow cover, as he can cover all three spots and is in better form than Samu or Wright, the other two with that ability.
I'm no selector, but I thought he came to Oz in 2018. Definitely played for Sydney in NRC 2019, so must be close. I agree with your assessment though

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He's not really a 6/8. He's very much an openside.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’m curious how Gamble covers the back three at test level better than Samu. He’s been terrific - but for me he’s in the same problem as McReight & Brown. Hoopers not coming off and the bench loosey needs to be able to jump. I still think McReight is next 7 in line so I think Gamble misses out.

I also appear to be missing something with regards to Paisami. There seems to be a growing narrative he’s been poor. Yes, he sometimes runs when he should give but otherwise I think he’s been one of the form backs. I expect Ikitau to hold his spot but I think Paisami has been putting his hand up to challenge. I had Perese a clear third - but he was outstanding yesterday. Still think they might look at him as a wing option.

My team at present -

Bell
Porecki
Tupou
Swain
Rodda
Valetini
Hooper
Wilson
White
JOC (James O'Connor)/Cooper
Koroibete/Perese
Kerevi/Paisami
Ikitau
Kellaway
Banks
Slipper
Fainga'a
Ala'alatoa
Philip
Holloway
McDermott
Lolesio
Paisami/Perese//Petaia/Foketi

Last edited:

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I’m curious how Gamble covers the back three at test level better than Samu. He’s been terrific - but for me he’s in the same problem as McReight & Brown. Hoopers not coming off and the bench loosey needs to be able to jump. I still think McReight is next 7 in line so I think Gamble misses out.

I also appear to be missing something with regards to Paisami. There seems to be a growing narrative he’s been poor. Yes, he sometimes runs when he should give but otherwise I think he’s been one of the form backs. I expect Ikitau to hold his spot but I think Paisami has been putting his hand up to challenge. I had Perese a clear third - but he was outstanding yesterday. Still think they might look at him as a wing option.

My team at present -

Bell
Porecki
Tupou
Swain
Rodda
Valetini
Hooper
Wilson
White
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)/Cooper
Koroibete/Perese
Kerevi/Paisami
Ikitau
Kellaway
Banks
Slipper
Fainga'a
Ala'alatoa
Philip
Holloway
McDermott
Lolesio
Good looking team TSR Nice to see some starting teams opinions

Reactions: TSR

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
And my 1st team on current form would be
1 Bell
2 Poereki
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Frost
6 Samu
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 White
10 JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)
11 Muirhead
12 Simone
13 Perese
14 Wright
15 Banks
16 Fainga'a
17 Sipper
18 AAAAA
19 Swain
20 Gamble
21 McDermott
22 Lolesio
23 Hodge

McRieght unlucky, but Hooper can play for 80 and its a pretty much like for like. Holloway in great form but too small to be a lock at international level IMO. Could get in as a lock back row utility though Gordon and McDermott a toss up. Doesn't take into consideration the imports

Edit. I'm not a selector. Post your own tems if you disagree with mine
Strong squad Silverado, but I think Rennie will go safety first and the squad for the first test against England will probably look something like the following, big on experience.
1.Slipper
2.Kaitu’u
3.Ala'alatoa
4.Rodda
5.Swain
6.Valentini
7.Hooper
8.Wilson
9.White
10.Cooper
11.Koroibete
12.Kerevi
13.Ikatau
14.Kellaway
15.Hodge
16.Fainga'a
17.Bell
18.Tupou
19.Phillip
20.Samu
21.McDermott
22.Lolesio
23.Petaia

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Strong squad Silverado, but I think Rennie will go safety first and the squad for the first test against England will probably look something like the following, big on experience.
1.Slipper
2.Kaitu’u
3.Ala'alatoa
4.Rodda
5.Swain
6.Valentini
7.Hooper
8.Wilson
9.White
10.Cooper
11.Koroibete
12.Kerevi
13.Ikatau
14.Kellaway
15.Hodge
16.Fainga'a
17.Bell
18.Tupou
19.Phillip
20.Samu
21.McDermott
22.Lolesio
23.Petaia
Kaitu’u ain’t getting near that match day squad on this years form.

Porecki and the Brums hookers will occupy those spots

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
1 Slipper
2 Kaitu’u
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Rodda
6 Seru
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 McDermott
10 James O'Connor
11 Koroibete
12 Kerevi
13 Ikatu
14 Kellaway
15 Banks

16 Fainga'a
17 Bell
18 AAA
19 Swain
20 Harry Wilson
21 Nick White
22 Quade Cooper
23 Jordan Petaia

Looking at it from a cohesion perspective.

Slipper and Taniela have played enough rugby together so that FF (Folau Fainga'a) doesn't need to start and Kaitu'u has been around the squad for a year or two to help gelling. Poreki needs another year of consistent rugby before leaping frogging both and more time with Bell and the wider Wallaby squad.

Rodda has played enough rugby with Slipper, Kaitu'u and Tupou to further build on the 'cohesion' idea, same with Philip.

Seru is probably the weakest choice/link 'cohesion' wise in this squad as he's completely new.

There's no discernible difference between James and Quade. Same with the rest of the backs, that 12/13 combination will probably be what goes to the WC, so you're better off building around it. There's enough 'minor' joins between the 10-15 that there's no real glaring omission here.

FF (Folau Fainga'a), AAA and Swain have played enough rugby together to allow a less experienced Bell.

You could easily switched any of the bench for anyone who's been left out and you'll probably end up with a similar cohesive squad.

Reasons why for some of the more 'contentious' picks;
Kaitu'u and FF (Folau Fainga'a) over Poreki - the latter needs more games under his belt at this level. There's not much between the three though

No Frost - Similar to the hookers, there's not much between them Philip/Rodda/Swain have all been playing well enough with Swain needing to ensure his brain farts are kept to a minimum.

Seru - Leota hasn't played enough this year, Swinton is busted and I think Uru's heads up rugby + pick and go rugby has been great.

Hooper over McReight - Fraser has played well enough to start for the Wallabies at 7. It's as simple as, Hooper hasn't played badly enough to lose it. Gamble doesn't make it because Fraser has performed consistently at this level for three? seasons now.

No Holloway - Simple as, 'Jack of all trades, master of none'. He either plays instead of Uru or he doesn't make the 23.

Wilson over Samu - Samu appears to exceed when he's giving a roaming role in the outer channels. Harry's running game off the 9/10 has been fantastic and would ensure the Wallabies don't miss a beat if Seru or Bobby V comes off. Samu causes a dramatic change to the way the Wallabies would have to play.

James over Quade - there's not much in it and James gets the nod because Quade's kicking is considerably hot and cold. I.e. look at the differences between to two Springbok games.

Banks over Jordan - Jordan just hasn't played enough rugby this year just yet to fully dislodge Banks. I like what JP brings to the table at 15, just need to see more of it, consistently.

Kellaway over Wright - I think Andrew's rugby brain is something the Wallabies have missed out wide since Roff/Tune/Latham/Burke were out there. Wright is a better athlete but does some stupid shit.

No Perese - runs extremely hard at the line, hard hitter in defence, but I'm struggling to see what he brings to the team that Kerevi and Hunter don't? He needs to add more to his game before he dislodges those two (Len is miles ahead due to his all round game).

No Hodge - for some reason people seem to pick Hodge for his kicking ability, but he's failed to come up clutch in recent memory to understand why he should be picked for his boot alone. His form for the first half 2/3 of this year's competition has been woeful/been suspended.

Which probably accurately reflects the Super table from a representation perspective, leaning towards the Brumbies;
Brumbies = 8
Force = 2
Rebels = 2
Reds = 6
Waratahs = 2
O/S = 3

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
1 Slipper
2 Kaitu’u
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Rodda
6 Seru
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 McDermott
10 James O'Connor
11 Koroibete
12 Kerevi
13 Ikatu
14 Kellaway
15 Banks

16 Fainga'a
17 Bell
18 AAA
19 Swain
20 Harry Wilson
21 Nick White
22 Quade Cooper
23 Jordan Petaia

Which probably accurately reflects the Super table from a representation perspective, leaning towards the Brumbies;
Brumbies = 8
Force = 2
Rebels = 2
Reds = 6
Waratahs = 2
O/S = 3
I don't know that the position on the Super table is all that significant when choosing the test team. The Brumbies are a champion team - the sum of all parts is greater than the individuals. Put Banks in the QLD team and Petaia in the Brumbies and I think you would be ditching Banks from the 23, certainly from the 15. The team makes Banks look better than he is; and I think his tackling technique for a test player is awful. The whole purpose of Wallaby squad training is to meld the best possible players into the best possible team.

Given what I've seen in the last three weeks at the Reds I question that the six chosen reflects their position in the table. I don't think that will be a criteria when the selectors sit down to make their choices. I think on form and ability that Thor, Uru, McReight, Wilson, O'Connor and Petaia deserve spots but Paisami is now on the extremely doubtful list. On form, the best two have been Perese and Ikitau; and Ikitau hasn't looked all that flash on a number of occasions. But 13 is a problem position in the backline as is 15. At 15, Petaia has looked to have the most natural ability but NO ONE else has inspired confidence except for Campbell who is too raw. Newsome is the best after that and no one realistically is putting his name up. Houston, we have a problem.

The two form hookers are Fainga'a and Porecki but neither are standouts. Kaitu'u suffers from being in a weak Super pack, but I don't think his form warrants displacing either. The backrow will be Hooper at 7, Valetini at 8 and ? at 6. Hooper is the on-baller, Valetini the big runner so the six has to be good in the tight and definitely in the lineout. Uru, Wilson and Holloway vying for one spot. I'd want to see more of all three before I chose. McReight may miss out because Hooper is likely to play 80, but if he's injured then we are screwed. So he has to stay in the mix. Everyone seems to forget that Hanigan is coming back. I know lots of people discount him but he's matured and he's got more natural talent than the sixes already mentioned.

Three more Super rounds plus finals to resolve the squad problems, of which 2, 6, 13 and 15 are the most difficult. Glad I'm an armchair critic and not a selector, because even a 30+ squad will be difficult.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
1 Slipper
2 Kaitu’u
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 Rodda
6 Seru
7 Hooper
8 Valetini
9 McDermott
10 James O'Connor
11 Koroibete
12 Kerevi
13 Ikatu
14 Kellaway
15 Banks

16 Fainga'a
17 Bell
18 AAA
19 Swain
20 Harry Wilson
21 Nick White
22 Quade Cooper
23 Jordan Petaia

Looking at it from a cohesion perspective.

Slipper and Taniela have played enough rugby together so that FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) doesn't need to start and Kaitu'u has been around the squad for a year or two to help gelling. Poreki needs another year of consistent rugby before leaping frogging both and more time with Bell and the wider Wallaby squad.

Rodda has played enough rugby with Slipper, Kaitu'u and Tupou to further build on the 'cohesion' idea, same with Philip.

Seru is probably the weakest choice/link 'cohesion' wise in this squad as he's completely new.

There's no discernible difference between James and Quade. Same with the rest of the backs, that 12/13 combination will probably be what goes to the WC, so you're better off building around it. There's enough 'minor' joins between the 10-15 that there's no real glaring omission here.

FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a), AAA and Swain have played enough rugby together to allow a less experienced Bell.

You could easily switched any of the bench for anyone who's been left out and you'll probably end up with a similar cohesive squad.

Reasons why for some of the more 'contentious' picks;
Kaitu'u and FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) over Poreki - the latter needs more games under his belt at this level. There's not much between the three though

No Frost - Similar to the hookers, there's not much between them Philip/Rodda/Swain have all been playing well enough with Swain needing to ensure his brain farts are kept to a minimum.

Seru - Leota hasn't played enough this year, Swinton is busted and I think Uru's heads up rugby + pick and go rugby has been great.

Hooper over McReight - Fraser has played well enough to start for the Wallabies at 7. It's as simple as, Hooper hasn't played badly enough to lose it. Gamble doesn't make it because Fraser has performed consistently at this level for three? seasons now.

No Holloway - Simple as, 'Jack of all trades, master of none'. He either plays instead of Uru or he doesn't make the 23.

Wilson over Samu - Samu appears to exceed when he's giving a roaming role in the outer channels. Harry's running game off the 9/10 has been fantastic and would ensure the Wallabies don't miss a beat if Seru or Bobby V comes off. Samu causes a dramatic change to the way the Wallabies would have to play.

James over Quade - there's not much in it and James gets the nod because Quade's kicking is considerably hot and cold. I.e. look at the differences between to two Springbok games.

Banks over Jordan - Jordan just hasn't played enough rugby this year just yet to fully dislodge Banks. I like what JP brings to the table at 15, just need to see more of it, consistently.

Kellaway over Wright - I think Andrew's rugby brain is something the Wallabies have missed out wide since Roff/Tune/Latham/Burke were out there. Wright is a better athlete but does some stupid shit.

No Perese - runs extremely hard at the line, hard hitter in defence, but I'm struggling to see what he brings to the team that Kerevi and Hunter don't? He needs to add more to his game before he dislodges those two (Len is miles ahead due to his all round game).

No Hodge - for some reason people seem to pick Hodge for his kicking ability, but he's failed to come up clutch in recent memory to understand why he should be picked for his boot alone. His form for the first half 2/3 of this year's competition has been woeful/been suspended.

Brumbies = 8
Force = 2
Rebels = 2
Reds = 6
Waratahs = 2
O/S = 3
I’m a fan of Kaitu’u but have people not been watching this year. He got yanked at half time against the Tahs, struggling to surpass Ready at the Force and hasn’t had a standout game since around round 2. I’m not even sure if he’s still captain as Godwin has been for a number of weeks now.

Porecki on the other hand has been a standout in a strong team and the Brums hookers are consistently turning up

drewprint

John Solomon (38)

My team at present -

Bell
Porecki
Tupou
Swain
Rodda
Valetini
Hooper
Wilson
White
JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)/Cooper
Koroibete/Perese
Kerevi/Paisami
Ikitau
Kellaway
Banks
Slipper
Fainga'a
Ala'alatoa
Philip
Holloway
McDermott
Lolesio
Really like this TSR. One difference I have - I think Uru would be a great fit for the #20 jersey.

Edit: oh yeah and I’d love to see a bold move and Petaia selected at #15. If not I’d have him at #23.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
How come? I thought it was 3 years eligibility now?

Speaking of, I thought Uru wasn't in the squad camp because of was still ineligible does anyone know if he is yet or not?

side note, if Banks takes up the offer do the wallabies still pick him in july?