• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
South Africa v Australia
Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
Saturday, 8 July, 2023
Referee: Ben O'Keeffe (NZR)
Assistant Referee 1: Paul Williams (NZR)
Assistant Referee 2: Andrea Piardi (FIR)
TMO: Brendon Pickerill (NZR)
Australia v Argentina
CommBank Stadium, Sydney
Saturday, 15 July, 2023
Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)
Assistant Referee 1: Paul Williams (NZR)
Assistant Referee 2: James Doleman (NZR)
TMO: Marius Jonker (SARU)
Australia v New Zealand
Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne
Saturday, 29 July, 2023
Referee: Wayne Barnes (RFU)
Assistant Referee 1: Karl Dickson (RFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Christophe Ridley (RFU)
TMO: Tom Foley (RFU)
New Zealand v Australia
Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
Saturday, 5 August, 2023
Referee: Karl Dickson (RFU)
Assistant Referee 1: Wayne Barnes (RFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Christophe Ridley (RFU)
TMO: Marius Jonker (SARU)
France v Australia
Stade de France, Saint-Denis
Sunday, 27 August, 2023
Referee: Luke Pearce (RFU)
Assistant Referee 1: Christophe Ridley (RFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Craig Evans (WRU)
TMO: Tom Foley (RFU)

Better to get O'Keeffe in an unwinnable Test. We have a very good record under Wayne Barnes. Karl Dickson is a totally out-of-form ref; he had an absolute shocker last week and is generally known as a homer. No Raynal in any capacity for any of our matches. We escape Joy Neville thankfully although do have the 2nd worst TMO in Jonker.
Thanks a lot Qwerty, it could have been a lot worse. The update to refs protocol (I just watched) has reduced the TMO to a decision prior to review and then minimum reviews looking for a decision quickly.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd start Quade against the All blacks and give Gordon the starts against Pumas and Boks. Being only 4 tests for Eddie to prepare for the RWC I wouldn't be worried about results and wins. More that his seeing how his combos are working, think he will go all out against NZ and than trial stuff against the other two.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't see why we can't run Quade at 10 and Gordon at 22 in the TRC. Quade likely is better not running the 80, Gordon could use 20/30 at the tail.

I'm not specifically against Foley, but I'd take either/or Quade/Foley. If Quade isn't up to it, start Foley and leave Quade in Japan. Thence Carter and Hodge filling in at utility after that.
My thoughts exactly. If Gordon performs in TRC he goes.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd start Quade against the All blacks and give Gordon the starts against Pumas and Boks. Being only 4 tests for Eddie to prepare for the RWC I wouldn't be worried about results and wins. More that his seeing how his combos are working, think he will go all out against NZ and than trial stuff against the other two.
Gordon starting the first Test of the year at Loftus Versfeld. Well, we know you're not a Wallabies fan. Way to kill a career.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Which coach/team goes to a RWC and isn't interested in experience? There's an incredible correlation between experience and success at RWCs.

It wouldn't be a question of not being interested in an obvious talent. It's entirely around preparation time.
Any coach who ignores raw talent with the potential Carter Gordon has in a search for good older experience that is rarer than rocking horse shit, is trying to look good and not win the bloody thing.

“If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks, glory would become the prey of mediocre minds.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Gordon starting the first Test of the year at Loftus Versfeld. Well, we know you're not a Wallabies fan. Way to kill a career.
Better off giving him meaningful game time then playing him off the bench, 1-2 hours game time and then something goes wrong at RWC and his needed to start a more meaningful game. Ireland 2015 is a horrible example, Ian Madigan example in the Quarter finals.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Better off giving him meaningful game time then playing him off the bench, 1-2 hours game time and then something goes wrong at RWC and his needed to start a more meaningful game. Ireland 2015 is a horrible example, Ian Madigan example in the Quarter finals.
Sure, if they consider Carter Gordon the #2 option but he's most likely going to be considered the #3. And your example is exactly why he will be the 3rd option.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Does Aus A have fixtures? I be comfortable letting Quade play Tests. Carter run around for Aus A and get extra mins in the Tests if the fixtures worked.

Surely they should organize something. Even if they just put together an Australia A vs Australia B scenario to get some more game time into some players. They could do them as curtain raisers to the Sydney and Melbourne tests

Rugbyman2023

Peter Burge (5)
Surely they should organize something. Even if they just put together an Australia A vs Australia B scenario to get some more game time into some players. They could do them as curtain raisers to the Sydney and Melbourne tests
Imagine an aus a v nz 15 game before bledislode cup!
they should look at the Pac nations cup again as well v Fiji, Tonga and Samoa

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
We'd be mad to start Gordon in any of the coming games.

Christ, he's had a good season but let the young guy get game time when the big bodies have slowed down a touch and the game's opened up. Give him ample minutes, then maybe start him in warm-ups or in early games against lower tiered nations.

RWC is good and all but we've got to be thinking about a 8-10y career, not 8 months of highest intensity footy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You would think Gordon would be getting a couple of 10-15 minutes at best this year unless the starting 10 breaks down.

It is RWC year