• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I like Mark for a spot on the Wing. He adds the aerial threat to the attack (Eddie used it with Lote) You need a few freak moments if you are to do something special at a WC. He has that in him
Agree Ghost but his defensive weaknesses are too great ATM as shown in last weeks game, to have him playing big games. Sorry didn't realise Eastman had already suggested this.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I guess Wright has that freak ability in him too. Not necessarily aerial but ability to create something from nothing. I think of that try in France last year and his break for the Brumbies last weekend.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I still see Wright and Kellaway as the two obvious fullback options...

Wright is easily, the best counter attacking option of the two... it's certainly been a highlight of his game this year, and on last year's spring tour.

He's great at being able to spot the opportunities and link up with his wingers, and it's led to some great tries.

Wright's main weakness is his defensive positioning, which has seen a few players get past him who really have no right to, and this is an area of the game that Kellaway totally has it over him.

Kellaway is a proven test match player and possesses the smarts to produce fewer errors, but is not going to provide the same attacking opportunities as Wright.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wright start initially at fullback with Kellaway on the right wing, and we'll see how that turns out...

Petaia's injury timing is a real shame, as I thought he was in career best form and would've had him locked down for the right wing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Probably right. I think we need to take on a bit of risk to challenge for the RWC. Our business as usual won't cut it at the pointy end.

Maybe our risk is picking a 10, 12 both coming off long injury lay offs.... why throw more in there.
We don't have better options

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
There's no reason to think the best backline will be anything but very strong regardless of which two player occupy the 14 & 15 Jerseys (notwithstanding that they come from that group of 3 or 4 strong performers rather than, idk Vunivalu & C. Gordon for some crazy reason)

I'm curious as to what Eddie's opinion on 22 & 23 will be. Does Hodge get 22 and you can then play a pure winger at 23 (or Kellaway/Wright if you play Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) at 14) or do you play a second out and out Stand Off and look to play someone like Perese for a touch more flexibility there instead?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
We don't have better options
Even though they are our best options its still a risk. Adding more to the mix might be too much.

Quade doesn't concern me as much as Kerevi. No idea if this is correct but Achilles re occurrence seems very rare and its impact on other things seems limited. The ACLs on Backs seems to take 6 months of playing before they look anything like their old selves. Perese showed that this year for the Tahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still see Wright and Kellaway as the two obvious fullback options...

Wright is easily, the best counter attacking option of the two... it's certainly been a highlight of his game this year, and on last year's spring tour.

He's great at being able to spot the opportunities and link up with his wingers, and it's led to some great tries.

Wright's main weakness is his defensive positioning, which has seen a few players get past him who really have no right to, and this is an area of the game that Kellaway totally has it over him.

Kellaway is a proven test match player and possesses the smarts to produce fewer errors, but is not going to provide the same attacking opportunities as Wright.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wright start initially at fullback with Kellaway on the right wing, and we'll see how that turns out...

Petaia's injury timing is a real shame, as I thought he was in career best form and would've had him locked down for the right wing.
Kellaway's decision making and his ability to get through that first tackle makes him my preferred option, at test level it is all about limiting errors wherever possible, because decent sides punish any error hard

Wright is a great attacking player but he tries the win a game by himself too often and at test level that leads to being isolated and errors

The 14? I want workrate, I want the unit who will chase kicks hard and work his arse off to be a support option - I don't know who really fits that criteria

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Kellaway's decision making and his ability to get through that first tackle makes him my preferred option, at test level it is all about limiting errors wherever possible, because decent sides punish any error hard

Wright is a great attacking player but he tries the win a game by himself too often and at test level that leads to being isolated and errors

The 14? I want workrate, I want the unit who will chase kicks hard and work his arse off to be a support option - I don't know who really fits that criteria
I think Mark gets his name up there for that. He seems to always be looking for a hit up and a pick n go when its on.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Fattie, I want strong D across the park and a high work rate particularly in the forwards. if you are interested there is a great article by Nick Biahop on our inconsistencies here: - https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/why-australian-rugby-is-its-own-worst-enemy/

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Mark gets his name up there for that. He seems to always be looking for a hit up and a pick n go when its on.
Ghost, until he can tackle big guys consistently he will always be limited as an international winger. D is second in importance after the breakdown in my book.
The part I hate is bludging which the Tahs did plenty of last week.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Great article here summing up Kellaway v Wright. That try against the French by Wright was all time class but his positioning to let in Kemeny and Robinson (shown in that article) is pretty awful.

Do think this discussion is moot, both will start.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
There's no reason to think the best backline will be anything but very strong regardless of which two player occupy the 14 & 15 Jerseys (notwithstanding that they come from that group of 3 or 4 strong performers rather than, idk Vunivalu & C. Gordon for some crazy reason)

I'm curious as to what Eddie's opinion on 22 & 23 will be. Does Hodge get 22 and you can then play a pure winger at 23 (or Kellaway/Wright if you play Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) at 14) or do you play a second out and out Stand Off and look to play someone like Perese for a touch more flexibility there instead?
Hopefully Petaia is fit - I think he would be the perfect 23, allowing Carget Gordon to be selected at 22. Those two give you enough flexibility and impact in the backline to make sure we’re not wasting bench options.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Ghost, until he can tackle big guys consistently he will always be limited as an international winger. D is second in importance after the breakdown in my book.
The part I hate is bludging which the Tahs did plenty of last week.
His defence is not great , but he fundamentally makes poor decisions too often and can be selfish.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Great article here summing up Kellaway v Wright. That try against the French by Wright was all time class but his positioning to let in Kemeny and Robinson (shown in that article) is pretty awful.

I agree - I expect both to start in the first test...

I think Kellaway might also be a better winger than fullback, and if we've got Kerevi at 12 it probably benefits the team having Wright as a secondary playmaker at fullback.

But, and it's a big but, Wright's defence needs to improve to maintain his spot.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

I think it is not moot yet! Wright's D is a major problem that the article showed and what many here have mentioned. It won't improve dramatically before the first test and maybe not before the RWC. Kellaway is our best option and should start the tests then it will be obvious who the 2nd FB is after those games.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I think it is not moot yet! Wright's D is a major problem that the article showed and what many here have mentioned. It won't improve dramatically before the first test and maybe not before the RWC. Kellaway is our best option and should start the tests then it will be obvious who the 2nd FB is after those games.
If Kellaway goes fullback, you'd have Nawaqanitawase on the wing over Wright?