• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wright has had a great season, and he's the best counter attacking fullback of the bunch... but he left his worst game of the season for last.

Having said that, his defence has been a constant issue and unless he can sort that out Kellaway is definitely the safer option.
Another way of looking at it might be that in the most important game he also had his worse game.

Jones needs to decide if he has issues under high pressure, in a world cup final will he play badly due to what is at stake?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wright has had a great season, and he's the best counter attacking fullback of the bunch... but he left his worst game of the season for last.

Having said that, his defence has been a constant issue and unless he can sort that out Kellaway is definitely the safer option.
i dont watch the Brumbies a lot, but when i do, to my eye Wright is not infrequently a liability, too many rocks to be compensated for by the few diamonds. i thought on last years EOYT he was showing signs of improvement and consistency, but alas not sustained in 2023.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, the cheer squad for Wright as Aus best full-back disappeared quickly enough. Another big runner shows he has little to offer in a tight match.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
yep definitely still our best #9, I think Mcdermott and Gordon should still be the other two
Not sure about Gordon but wouldn't dislike the choice, I would most probably go with Lonergan as 3rd but only as a point of difference and a kicking option.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Just watched the T14 final. From what I saw Skelton wasn’t used once in the lineout, he played hard for 80 minutes though. In the European final he only jumped on attacking lineouts, so the defensive side probably wouldn’t compete on his jump. I don’t see him as a lineout option, but think he should be in the team. Another thing that was noticeable to me was when his locking partner came off the lineout sputtered a bit. If selected, we need to have our 4, 6 and reserve lock be a proper lineout option/operator.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
What’s the rest of the make up of his pack over there? A tall six or eight?
They had the Fijian 7, Botia(?) who is pretty solid and their 6/8 seemed similar builds (similar to Holloway maybe?). They certainly took their time setting their lineouts.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Boudehent reminds me a lot of Danie Rossouw, I think he's much taller than listed, probably closer to 196/7cm. More athletic than Holloway but would be their 2nd main jumper after Sazy. They manage with Botia at 7 who doesn't jump or even wear blocks where as we'd have Gleeson at 7 as an option.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyway, club rugby is finished everywhere now for Australians.

Pretoria match is in 20 days. I wonder when they'll try get there? They should aim for minimum 10 days, Aus players wouldn't have played at altitude since 2019.

Will the Brumbies, Skelton and Arnold all get a week off? Be good to know the squad size going over and current injury status.

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
Anyway, club rugby is finished everywhere now for Australians.

Pretoria match is in 20 days. I wonder when they'll try get there? They should aim for minimum 10 days, Aus players wouldn't have played at altitude since 2019.

Will the Brumbies, Skelton and Arnold all get a week off? Be good to know the squad size going over.
do you know when the squads announced?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
do you know when the squads announced?
No idea
--
That pic from socials earlier shows no Tom Banks, I think we can assume if you're a Force/Rebels player and not there you're not going to be used this year.

Wilkin
Isaak Fines
Lachlan Anderson
Leota
Rodda
Pone
Gibbon
Tupou
Uelese
Carter Gordon
Canham
Kerevi
Petaia
Phillip
Bell
Kellaway
Quade
Talakai
Fainga'a
Foley
Tuttle
Koroibete
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Kemeny
Hodge

So no Naisarani or Mafi we can assume I think. Interesting no Paisami yet Petaia is there?

Last edited: