• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Right then, may as well do my assumed full strength 23 to play in the RWC Final..

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Gleeson
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Kellaway

16. Faessler
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Richie Arnold
20. Hanigan/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Wilkin/McReight^
21 & 23. [McDermott & Hodge] OR [Lonergan & Petaia]*
22. Foley

^ Someone eluded to it before but picking #20 is tough, we probably need a good lineout option at 20 in-case Holloway gets injured. In that case Hanigan/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), but if Eddie wants a 7 to speed up the game later it’ll be Wilkin/McReight. All I’m sure on is Hooper is done and Gleeson has to start. Yes, you have to build around and accomodate Skelton because he's worth it.
*I think McDermott and Petaia are the better players but you need contiguous pairings here (long kicker in there).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Eddie is astute, so he won’t go, he follows global trends but shit even in Super Rugby you can see the midget 7 has been left behind. Papalii, Christie and Cane all bigger than Hooper and McReight. The Brumbies even played Tom Hooper there. It’s all about collisions now.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I would be shocked if Hooper doesn't get first go in Pretoria. How it evolves from there is in his hands.

Although you have a point Q51 - hard to shake the image of him getting trampled by Genge last year.

Aside from this I think that 23 is on the money for the best case scenario, although I will get banned for spam if I reiterate that Petaia should start at 14 anymore.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Michael Hooper will be in any 33 man Wallabies squad this year. Nothing surer.
I think Nic White would be a surer pick, I think that Hooper will be picked, but hardly the first player chosen. He has competitors for his spot that many people could argue are better.

I have always wondered if his mental health break will be detrimental to his chances, despite being an admirable and brave choice but maybe the selectors will be worried that he may decide to have the same break again at short notice. For what it is worth, I don't think it should be a factor, but for a once in four year tournament the selectors may want to be sure that everyone picked will be there.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I have always wondered if his mental health break will be detrimental to his chances, despite being an admirable and brave choice but maybe the selectors will be worried that he may decide to have the same break again at short notice. For what it is worth, I don't think it should be a factor, but for a once in four year tournament the selectors may want to be sure that everyone picked will be there.
You don't need to wonder. There is absolutely no way that is considered at all.

If Hooper still seen as test quality based on his performance (albeit largely historical) and a fit for what E.J. is cooking he'll be in the squad.

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
Right then, may as well do my assumed full strength 23 to play in the RWC Final..

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Tupou
4. Frost
5. Skelton
6. Holloway
7. Gleeson
8. Valetini
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Kellaway

16. Faessler
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Richie Arnold
20. Hanigan/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)/Wilkin/McReight^
21 & 23. [McDermott & Hodge] OR [Lonergan & Petaia]*
22. Foley

^ Someone eluded to it before but picking #20 is tough, we probably need a good lineout option at 20 in-case Holloway gets injured. In that case Hanigan/LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), but if Eddie wants a 7 to speed up the game later it’ll be Wilkin/McReight. All I’m sure on is Hooper is done and Gleeson has to start. Yes, you have to build around and accomodate Skelton because he's worth it.
*I think McDermott and Petaia are the better players but you need contiguous pairings here (long kicker in there).
feel like Slipper and Ala'alatoa will most likely start

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
That’s why I said Petaia is there but not Paisami (who is also injured). Among other injured players there.
Ah, yes of course - good point.

I know it’s a very extended squad at the moment, but I don’t think Paisami’s anywhere near it anyway. Not to say the likes of Tuttle are either, but at lease he can hold bags.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure I am up for a team playing a halfback who played for the darkness.
Let me put a scenario to you and assume Eddie gets his way with players and we win the RWC. Most of the key players and possibly the coach will disappear, and what do we have left apart from the glory factor and hope that it brings in more youngsters to rugby? We have changed the face of Australian rugby by ensuring that we will pick many if not most players from OS and Super Rugby players get to fill the holes. We could/would end up like soccer.
Eddie Jones' only interest is winning the RWC and he doesn't care how he does it.

Beneath the link, there is a post by bluesfan with responses which seem very pertinent.

Last edited:

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
If we are a tier 2 nation then we have a bunch of administrators to blame for it. No support for young talent, no interest in grassroots rugby, a spend-a-thon approach when the coffers are full, followed by a 'buddy can you spare me a dime'? A myopic focus on what makes them look good whilst ignoring the hard work necessary to rebuild our rugby from the ground up ie schools skills training, coach development.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Christy is being quite generous there. Tawera plays behind the biggest pack in rugby, Nic White would look world beating there (as would Tate). Aaron Smith would be unstoppable. TKB is a good player, I've watched nearly every game but that's just hyperbole.

I'd be happier to select TKB if he decided to player Super for an Aus team but he ain't committed. Would be a joke. At least Bundee Aki committed to living in Limerick.

Last edited:

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Tom Wright is an A Grade disappointment merchant. Stupidest person this side of the equator.
Be less of an arse Michael. What’s disappointing is you. Players read the comments. Benny A specifically pointed out GAGR as one of the online forums he read after games. His mental health was pretty damaged after retirement. You can criticise people without lowering yourself to pissweak comments like those above.