• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
While I am not suggesting either should be Wallabies, the two most consistently sound 15's in Super rugby this year have been Campbell and Newsome. For me Petaia has too many flaws to be our test 15 (at this stage anyway), I would only select him as a finisher on the wing, despite all his unquestionable athleticism. As a result, either Banks or Hodge are our best alternatives at 15, neither of whom have me really convinced.

Ranga-Richo

Bob McCowan (2)
Been doing a bit of thinking about a general wallabies team this year:
1. Bell (Massive work around the park and massive engine, has improved his set piece work this year)
2. Porecki (Great set piece as well as strong defense, good synergy with bell)
3. Tupou (Strong set piece + running lines)
4. Swain (Workhorse + Maul Annihilation + Lineout)
5. Rodda (Workhorse + Ball Carries+ Lineout)
6. Leota (Workrate + Ball Carries + 3 Jumper)
7. Hooper
8. Valentini (Massive Carries from set piece, strong defense and versatile skill set)
9. McDermott (While distribution isn't as consistent, his speed and ability to snipe at defenses keeps the squad constantly moving forward)
10. Cooper (A general to connect with McDermott, great distribution and decision making)
11. Koroibete (Massive work rate, great finishing, explosive in both attack and defense)
12. Kerevi (One of the most destructive inside centers in the world, massively improved decision making and passing)
13. Kelleway (Great support lines, distribution and decision making, think he compliments Kerevi perfectly and provides stability in the midfield)
14. Wright (While I'm still not sure if he has the decision making of an international winger, his continued form in Super Rugby as well as natural ability is S+)
15. Petaia (Massive risk, but effectiveness under the high ball, ability to break defense, massive defense and underrated boot has him in for me. I wouldn't expect him to go 80 rn, but considering he was playing world cup semi-finals at 19, I think he will be forged through experience)
16. Fainga'a (Been impressive this year but still not convinced he's a long term choice. Great work rate and set piece, tackling technique needs work)
17. Slipper (Reliable and solid)
18. AAA (Reliable and Solid)
19. Holloway (Foot Work, Distribution, Lineout, Work rate, and ability to slot into back row if needed. Provides a point of difference)
20. McReight (Massive breakdown pest, great support lines, good in the wild channels, needs to improve his physicality)
or Wilson (Improving but not quite there imo, great work rate and carries, needs to be less passive in goal-line defense)
21. White (Great communication, box kick and distribution, knows how to keep a tiring pack moving.)
22. JOC (James O'Connor) (10/15, provides a change in attack, though I think his ability to hit defenses from deep is better utilized at 15 at international level)
23. Paisami (Greatly improved, think he could break a few defenses late in games, would like to see him utilize his line running more often again)

But yeah, just my thoughts.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I reckon Perese has been more consistent and more damaging than any other centre. On pure form he should start.
If Kerevi is fit should be the first option. Then you have to look at the best combo 12/13 and it depends of Rennie thoughts. I think Perese is a bit similar to Kerevi so I'd pick a different kind of player at 13

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
You think Kellaway is a better 13 than Paisami or Ikitau?
I know you've got Koro and Wright at 11 and 14, I'd put Koro and Kellaway on the wings and I'm torn between Paisaimi or Ikitau at 13.

I'm still up in the air if Kellway > Wright or Wright > Kellaway, but not sure Kellaway really fits in at 13

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I know you've got Koro and Wright at 11 and 14, I'd put Koro and Kellaway on the wings and I'm torn between Paisaimi or Ikitau at 13.

I'm still up in the air if Kellway > Wright or Wright > Kellaway, but not sure Kellaway really fits in at 13
No contest between Paisami and Ikitau at 13 I don't think. Perese is ahead of Paisami at 13 too.

Paisami will be warming the pine until Kerevi is unavailable.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Been doing a bit of thinking about a general wallabies team this year:
1. Bell (Massive work around the park and massive engine, has improved his set piece work this year)
2. Porecki (Great set piece as well as strong defense, good synergy with bell)
3. Tupou (Strong set piece + running lines)
4. Swain (Workhorse + Maul Annihilation + Lineout)
5. Rodda (Workhorse + Ball Carries+ Lineout)
6. Leota (Workrate + Ball Carries + 3 Jumper)
7. Hooper
8. Valentini (Massive Carries from set piece, strong defense and versatile skill set)
9. McDermott (While distribution isn't as consistent, his speed and ability to snipe at defenses keeps the squad constantly moving forward)
10. Cooper (A general to connect with McDermott, great distribution and decision making)
11. Koroibete (Massive work rate, great finishing, explosive in both attack and defense)
12. Kerevi (One of the most destructive inside centers in the world, massively improved decision making and passing)
13. Kelleway (Great support lines, distribution and decision making, think he compliments Kerevi perfectly and provides stability in the midfield)
14. Wright (While I'm still not sure if he has the decision making of an international winger, his continued form in Super Rugby as well as natural ability is S+)
15. Petaia (Massive risk, but effectiveness under the high ball, ability to break defense, massive defense and underrated boot has him in for me. I wouldn't expect him to go 80 rn, but considering he was playing world cup semi-finals at 19, I think he will be forged through experience)
16. Fainga'a (Been impressive this year but still not convinced he's a long term choice. Great work rate and set piece, tackling technique needs work)
17. Slipper (Reliable and solid)
18. AAA (Reliable and Solid)
19. Holloway (Foot Work, Distribution, Lineout, Work rate, and ability to slot into back row if needed. Provides a point of difference)
20. McReight (Massive breakdown pest, great support lines, good in the wild channels, needs to improve his physicality)
or Wilson (Improving but not quite there imo, great work rate and carries, needs to be less passive in goal-line defense)
21. White (Great communication, box kick and distribution, knows how to keep a tiring pack moving.)
22. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (10/15, provides a change in attack, though I think his ability to hit defenses from deep is better utilized at 15 at international level)
23. Paisami (Greatly improved, think he could break a few defenses late in games, would like to see him utilize his line running more often again)

But yeah, just my thoughts.
A few positions that could be debated but not a bad line up and certainly all players in contention. I would have Perese or ikatua at 13 though as kellaway not even close on those players at 13. Probably kellaway pushes out wright for wing spot.

Reactions: dru

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I agree that Holloway could be starting at 6... ticks all the boxes except perhaps over the ball... but makes up for it with those enormous choke tackles (which have resulted in at least half a dozen turnovers via maul collapse..) Probably the most improved player in the Oz conference IMO. Always had the skill and ability, but the work rate and physicality have massively increased. Big frame, speed, footwork, great hands and a huge lineout presence. Can play 4,5,6 & 8 so great bench option as well.

Always felt he was a player who never fulfilled his potential.... but geez he's been in red hot form this year.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Kellaway on the wing over Wright at test level is a no brainer. They are both great athletes/rugby players but what Kellaway has between his ears is what makes him a test player and the lack of makes Wright a Super player.

Ikitau is out best 13. Perese, while damaging running the ball, needs to stop dropping and having the ball ripped off him 3 times a game in contact. We can't afford that at test level especially when they go for gang tackles against the Wobs.

I agree about Holloway, years ago I thought he would end up being a long term wallabies 8 then he fell off the planet. His form this year has been exceptional and should be rewarded for it. Perfect for the bench and I wouldn't be upset to see him starting. I love seeing players come back and fulfill their potential, he certainly has this year

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Perese, while damaging running the ball, needs to stop dropping and having the ball ripped off him 3 times a game in contact. We can't afford that at test level especially when they go for gang tackles against the Wobs.
This is how I feel too was watching one of the games recently and everyone was saying how awesome he was... Big run... Then stripped.. then dropped cold.. then lost in contact.. then big run..

Marce

John Thornett (49)

Ikitau is the safe bet at 13. Wright > Kellaway for me