• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Lolesio and McDermott were given ample opportunity and given specific things to improve. Lolesio had a poor Super Rugby season. McDermott I like a lot, but his passing is still poor. I do prefer him as a sub compared to Gordon.

The idea that Rennie didn't offer opportunities is crazy.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Lolesio and McDermott were given ample opportunity and given specific things to improve. Lolesio had a poor Super Rugby season. McDermott I like a lot, but his passing is still poor. I do prefer him as a sub compared to Gordon.

The idea that Rennie didn't offer opportunities is crazy.

People need to remember that Rennie didn't have much of a base to work off because Cheika clung firmly to his favourites & did very little to develop for the future after 2015. Rennie faced considerable obstacles unlike any coach in the last cycle (Post-2019 World Cup Exodus, Isolation - less frequent matches against tougher SA/NZ clubs, RA's extreme financial difficulties 2020-2022 after Covid pandemic) Rennie was also the first coach to have Wallabies playing smart, resourceful & pragmatic style of rugby since McKenzie.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Barbarians v Saints tomorrow

IMG_3780.jpeg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some interesting gym work the props were doing, any any S&C gurus want to chime in here because I've never seen this done.

Schoupp (270kg), Nonggorr (250kg) and Tupou (300kg)

Each squatted down to parrell unassisted but didn't do the drive at all. It this for getting used to controlling high weight? Getting stable in the hit?

Last edited:

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Some interesting gym work the props were doing, any any S&C gurus want to chime in here because I've never seen this done.

Each squatted down to parrell unassisted but didn't do the drive at all. It this for getting used to controlling high weight? Getting stable in the hit?
Also a strength building exercise, common for bench as well.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I’ve seen this done for power development. You’re loading on the way down and pushing out at a faster speed. Having assistance allows the player to go for it without as much focus on balance. They aren’t training to be a weight lifter after all… pretty stressful on the nervous system though so it would be used sparingly. (I hope)

TTs body position when squatting is really really good. He would have a future in Power Lifting if he wanted it. Built well for it with the levers and natural explosiveness.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Tate McDermott wasnt developed, Noah Lolesio wasn't developed. Both were used as human yo-yo's in and out of the squad as if Rennie was picking his team out of a hat

Developing international players is entirely normal. Young players don't just become great test players overnight

Tate was probably told to work on his passing or wouldn’t be selected, his passing is still lacklustre, so it’s easy to see a coach go a different direction.

It’s also pretty clear Lolesio is not a game managing 10. So I don’t agree he should have been ‘developed’, I actually think the opposite, he should have been dropped sooner. But then who else was there to pick at the time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Eddie knows how to both bear a grudge and to be vindictive. He and Robbie are not too dissimilar, they are both ruled by their heart - which is a character trait you really really don't want in a head coach. Their Feelings over the Facts. Robbie dropped the best available flyhalf in the country on the eve of the all important 2013 Series due to vengeful spite and 10 years later history has repeated itself. Eddie and Robbie certainly know how to hold a grudge, I suppose that's what happens when you are a bitter twisted boomer.

I think Cheika was worse then both Eddie and Robbie when it comes to making decisions based on emotion over logic. Pretty sure every one of his decisions were based on his ‘gutt feel’.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Eddie obviously went with an out with the old in with the new philosophy, wherever humanly possible. He turfed Holloway, Fainga'a, M.Hooper (injury so perhaps not), Wright, Foley, Hodge, Quade. Some of that might be personal preference in terms of player attributes, but taken together it was obviously with the intent of going younger and likely also a "culture change." Rightly or wrongly. I have my opinion, but I doubt Eddie cares!

Except for keeping White and not selecting Lonergan.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We were somewhat heading in the same direction with Rennie as well. Lolesio had been anointed as the 10 for much of his time in charge and by the time he got fired at the end of 2022 Rennie had basically moved on from him.

At least under Rennie it looked like most of the team selections and structure was set. There was clearly an issue at 10 but everywhere else was mostly set.
Looking at last year’s campaign the team played a few games they could have or should have won. They were just missing that one percent or ‘edge’ that Rennie talked about to close out a game.
It’s seems everyone saw that, and RA thought Eddie would bring that ‘edge’. But instead he has completely thrown out the team and rebuilt it entirely.
Based on the results (close losses) last year I would have thought building on the previous structures would have been more rewarding especially in such a small time frame.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Did he? He was ok from my memory and his goal kicking in that series was good. He made the crucial mistake in the third test going for a loose ball which resulted in the try to Marcus Smith that won the series.

Rennie had already moved to bring in Cooper in 2021.

Lolesio was solid at best in my view and I don't think was ever going to really improve to a level above where he was at that point. He was a pretty obvious selection through most of that time because there wasn't anyone else but I don't think there's an alternate universe where a different coach or getting selected a few more times suddenly makes him a much better player.

Carter Gordon (aside from the goalkicking) pretty clearly has a higher ceiling than Lolesio ever did. Arguably his play so far is as good as anything Lolesio produced after several years in the setup. Obviously Gordon was never an option for Rennie to select but likewise I don't think Lolesio was poorly managed by Rennie. He got a lot of opportunity.

I 100% agree with you. The comparison between Noah and Gordon is spot on.

But now compare Donaldson with Lolesio. Wouldn’t Lolesio be a better back up option?

I do find it interesting that there is little debate over the first XV. Apart from a few drop McReight, Arnold comments. It’s really the bench and back-up player selection that is the most confusing.

Having a young team start with experience coming off the bench would have been the ideal solution. For example players like Samu, and Cooper (or even Lolesio/Foley) instead of Gleeson and Donaldson.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Eddie's approach is mental right before a RWC. Make the most drastic changes after. You can still bring in young players without throwing them immediately into positions as starters.

And I don't buy the reasoning that "they won't win anyways who cares." You should always put your best foot forward in a RWC. Not caring shouldn't be an option.
I have a feeling his eyes are firmly set in RWC 2027 in Australia and this is purely a development campaign.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have a feeling his eyes are firmly set in RWC 2027 in Australia and this is purely a development campaign.
Look I get why people feel this way I do but if this was simply true, he wouldn't select Slipper and White would he? Especially if they're no longer starters. Why make Skelton captain? He's no chance for 2027 I'd say.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would argue the opposite, Eddie has always been about Eddie, his destination is all that matters - and ultimately the route used to get there is irrelevant to him, he doesn't give a stuff about who he tramples on along the way, burning through players, assistants & quality people, he sent Ewen McKenzie into hospital due to the intense workload he was subject to as Wallabies assistant. When Dylan Hartley found out his international career was over Eddie had rang him up just to give him a good spray & tell him "You're f****d mate!!"

On the contrary, Quade has always been a selfless team player, who dedicates his time towards improving those around him - it's no wonder Ewen McKenzie believed that Quade was destined to become an outstanding coach after his playing career concluded...
I’m not sure if this is just trolling, and I like quade, always been a supporter of his.

But he has not ‘always been a selfless team player’ even Quade admits that himself these days. Especially, when talking about the wallabies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Look I get why people feel this way I do but if this was simply true, he wouldn't select Slipper and White would he? Especially if they're no longer starters. Why make Skelton captain? He's no chance for 2027 I'd say.
Maybe these are the only experienced players he thinks the younger guys can actually learn a thing or two off.

And all the other ones will just learn bad habits.

Or in Slippers case the depth is pretty low at prop at the moment.

I agree the White over Lonergan one doesn’t fit the narrative though.