• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Imagine being told 10 years ago Australia would go into the 2023 RWC with arguably the best LH and TH prop in the world.

What am I missing here, are either only capable of one of these tasks?
Not missing anything at all. I’m just thinking both their strengths are their running games. If they both come off in the second half we lose attacking penetration. If they both start they will do the job asked, I’m just thinking balance.

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah that's a fair call but you'd want to maximise their time on the field so unless they're coming off at HT, they both need to start.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's probably a good chance that Rennie starts with AAA and brings Tupou off the bench again...

There's a lot of go forward if you have the likes of Tupou, Lonergan, Frost and Samu or Harry Wilson late in the game.

Having said that, they might want Tupou's power in the scrums from the start to set the tone, particularly if we get a northern hemisphere referee.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
For those who watched more carefully than me, how'd Frost go against the big NZ lads?

I remember Longeran, despite his size, making good impact late in the game. I'm nervous some of these young lads might get wrecked by Curry, Underhill etc

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry what?
The amount of times he's name dropped him and picked him in squads is quite high. I can't imagine he's there to just hold tackle bags and barring international he's one of our most experienced locks. Plus he's in good form and is playing for the best Australian team in the comp. I seriously reckon he'll be capped.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and Anstee
yeah, I had written him there at No 8 but he must have dropped off. Don't know how
WABS.jpg

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Based on how it looked in the semi-final it would seem there's a pretty high likelihood he'd have surgery on the shoulder given it's the end of the (main part of the) season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think your missing a few Brumbies players in there....;)

Bell ahead of Slipper and Porecki ahead of Lonergan (and maybe even Fainga'a). Not sold on Wright - super talented but makes poor decisions.
Not picking my team WTF. Just what I think Rennie and MacKellar will do.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
For those that think Quade Cooper is too old for next years RWC… Jonathon Sexton turns 37 on July 11, and is Captain of the Irish heading to NZ to take on ABs….. 37…
And his fitness condition is very poor. Irish Rugby and Leinster created a master plan to give him as much rest as possible in order to guarantee his participation in next WC. Will be his last dance and he'll hang up the boots.

Cooper is a workaholic of fitness and his time in Japan gave him more rest than playing in Super Rugby or Europe

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Huh? He had three stints off the bench last year.

He's not going to factor in our RWC thinking if we are still sticking with three overseas players. I'm betting that rule changes for the World Cup though. In which case I think he will be in initial squads next year as we look to find our best squad.

The preparation time for a RWC is so much longer than a regular series and I'm betting Rugby Australia and Rennie are both on the same page thinking their best opportunity for success will be from trying to assemble the best squad possible and shift the rules to suit that.

I am reflecting on skeletons past performances when in oz for wallabies as well but as stated expect Rennie to still look at him for end of year tour, but yes with 3 overseas picks misses out.

But you are right can’t discount may make changes to 3 overseas picks for RWC which not sure ideal as not sure would send right messages personally to Australian based wallabies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
For those that think Quade Cooper is too old for next years RWC… Jonathon Sexton turns 37 on July 11, and is Captain of the Irish heading to NZ to take on ABs….. 37…
Isn't that mostly because they have no great alternative?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I am reflecting on skeletons past performances when in oz for wallabies as well but as stated expect Rennie to still look at him for end of year tour, but yes with 3 overseas picks misses out.

But you are right can’t discount may make changes to 3 overseas picks for RWC which not sure ideal as not sure would send right messages personally to Australian based wallabies.

Peoole need to stop getting hung up on the 3 players thing.

It is in every Wallabies best interest, whether they are overseas based or Super Rugby based, that Australia perform well at the RWC. Winning a RWC or at least making the final would do wonders for the game in Australia, which in turn means more bums in seats, more players registered and RA having more money for players.

If that means picking 5 blokes who are overseas based to ensure we have the best possible squad, then I am sure it’ll happen. Rennie has already shown he is willing to go outside the box of the original Giteau laws. It’s not like they need a referendum to change it, he will do whatever is best.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If that means picking 5 blokes who are overseas based to ensure we have the best possible squad, then I am sure it’ll happen. Rennie has already shown he is willing to go outside the box of the original Giteau laws. It’s not like they need a referendum to change it, he will do whatever is best.
Im not so sure they will change it in the next 12 months, the last change to the policy was intended to take them through to the RWC.

Guys like Swain, Phillip and Frost remained in Australian rugby under that policy because it meant a shot at a wallaby jersey. Rodda and Holloway returned under the same understanding. To change it late in the game to bring back additional players, (who arguably aren’t going to be any better) would all but guarantee those players are leaving as soon as their next contracts up, and make player retention even harder in the future.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Im not so sure they will change it in the next 12 months, the last change to the policy was intended to take them through to the RWC.

Guys like Swain, Phillip and Frost remained in Australian rugby under that policy because it meant a shot at a wallaby jersey. Rodda and Holloway returned under the same understanding. To change it late in the game to bring back additional players, (who arguably aren’t going to be any better) would all but guarantee those players are leaving as soon as their next contracts up, and make player retention even harder in the future.

Wait and see I guess. I think player retention in Australia is a ship that has sailed for the time being and instead the focus needs to be giving our national team the best possible chance of being in the spotlight.

Fans in Australia have already disengaged with the Super Rugby product as evidenced by viewership figures and attendance of games. Post-RWC there has traditionally been an exodus anyway, which I imagine will further dilute the playing stocks.

No use speculating now about what will happen in 12 months time but I reckon it could go either way, a lot probably rides on the outcome of this years performances.