• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Congratulations to Skelton who starts for the Barbarians this weekend against England. Pretty tasty squad.
DD28744E-BF9A-42B5-87F5-651F0CECDB35.jpeg

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
You have to develop a new test fullback with Banks leaving to Japan and Hodge out of the squad. Maybe Rennie knows something we don't, perhaps Kerevi, Quade Cooper or Koroi will return to Super Rugby making Banks elegible for next WC
I'm not convinced throwing Petaia into a starting FB role is the best way to ' develop' him. As I said, cover the spot off the bench for this series. Build him into it for the EOYT maybe. There is no guarentee he will be the best option for Fullback for the WC when he isn't currently even the best option for Fullback at the Reds.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Incumbency means a lot in test rugby, for that reason injuries aside, Philip, Fa’ingaa, Samu, Leota are all likely to be in the 23. Swain and Philip to start and id have Holloway off the bench. Frost is the big improver so im happy if he gets a gig

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm with Swingpass, incumbency will mean a lot at least for the first test. Nick Frost will be the sole uncapped player imo but he is the future right here and now at lock (is Lonergan capped? FIIK). Extremely skillful and most like Rory Arnold for height at lineout time a nd disruptive influence in mauls along with Darcy Swain.

I expect something like :

Slipper, Fainga'a, Tupou, Swain, Philip, Leota, Hooper, Valetini, White, Cooper, Koreobete, Kerevi, Ikitau, Wright, Banks. Reserves - Lonergan, Bell, Ala'alatoa, Frost, Samu, McDermott, O'Connor, Kellaway.

Lose the first test and I think Scott Sio could replace Slipper in the 23, Porecki could come in for either Fainga'a or Lonergan, Holloway at 6 if either Leota or Valetini bottle it or are injured (what's with Rob V's hammy?), and Petaia could be introduced to the bench for Kellaway or Wright.

But optimistically, test 1 is a win leading to three on the trot.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm with Swingpass, incumbency will mean a lot at least for the first test. Nick Frost will be the sole uncapped player imo but he is the future right here and now at lock (is Lonergan capped? FIIK). Extremely skillful and most like Rory Arnold for height at lineout time a nd disruptive influence in mauls along with Darcy Swain.

I expect something like :

Slipper, Fainga'a, Tupou, Swain, Philip, Leota, Hooper, Valetini, White, Cooper, Koreobete, Kerevi, Ikitau, Wright, Banks. Reserves - Lonergan, Bell, Ala'alatoa, Frost, Samu, McDermott, O'Connor, Kellaway.

Lose the first test and I think Scott Sio could replace Slipper in the 23, Porecki could come in for either Fainga'a or Lonergan, Holloway at 6 if either Leota or Valetini bottle it or are injured (what's with Rob V's hammy?), and Petaia could be introduced to the bench for Kellaway or Wright.

But optimistically, test 1 is a win leading to three on the trot.
No way Wright gets in ahead of Kellaway

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
For our last two tests our locks were Arnold, Rodda and Skelton.

Porecki seems very likely to get the first crack at the 2 jersey.
agree, he looks the most complete package. re the locks - none of the incumbents are available and Philip and Swain did a good job in the home series and RC last year.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The worst-case scenario: Banks isn't available due injury, suspension or whatever. You don't have a fullback who has played all the season at 15.

Which are the options? Kellaway? Wright? Petaia? For me Jock Campbell is the safest bet. Kellaway has played at centre/wing. Wright has played all the season at the wing and Petaia was similar to Kellaway, most of the season at centre/wing, I don't know how many games he has played at 15. Less than Campbell who has been the starter Reds fullback mostly all the season.
Campbell a Wallaby…not convinced (yet) he is wallaby standard. Hence yes would still play someone out of position like kellaway, Petaia. Be good to see how Campbell goes for Australia A.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Paul Cully made a salient point, he reckons Holloway will get the first crack at 6 over Leota for his defensive lineout and mauling ability against the English. Can't argue with that.

Porecki definitely the starter, he barely made a lineout error all year and was part of a dominant Tahs scrum when he had Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) next to him. Fainga'a showed he's still not a great thrower last week and Longeran looks the goods off the bench to speed the game up around the park.

I'm tempted to start Sio or at least keep him on the bench over Slipper. Laulala absolutely destroyed Slipper and we can't afford that against what will undoubtedly be a strong England scrum. I've been pretty critical of Sio in previous seasons, I think his form completely nosedived after 2016 but he's a revival this season.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Good player Skelton just never seemed to have made the impact at test level. If limiting to 3 o/s picks not convinced as Arnold would pick ahead of him with koribete and Kerevi the other picks.
All the hype about him playing last year for the Wallabies because he had lost weight and much fitter etc… well …he wasn’t a stand out …

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Luckily for us (assuming it's televised here? BeIN? Stan?) we get a good preview of what Skelton looks like v England this weekend.