• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2023

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah. You’re right. No one was comparing Giteau and Hunter in terms of quality of player nor of the team they play(ed) in - just their playing style. So yes, yours was a silly comment.

Nope mine was fine, he had a dig at how Giteau played with how Hunter plays...

No worries though reg defend your Reds *Reds fan honour. Good for you Reg. :rolleyes:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
A few European titles, a few player of the year, an MLA title. also came back to be really important to the 2015 world cup...
And he can play in almost ANY position. 10,12,15 for sure and EVEN 9 or 11/14 if it is necessary. If you put Paisami at 15 would be funny.

20220613_091703.jpg

20220613_091805.jpg

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes. Sadly Matt Giteau is not available for selection. If he was he might struggle to push Kerevi out of 12? Possibly slot in at 10.

Our starting 15 looks to pretty much choose itself. There will be a couple of tight calls.
Hooker, I would start FF (Folau Fainga'a) with Lonergan off the bench but would not be disappointed if Porecki started. Lonergan is the bench dude either way.
In the back row do both Valentini and Wilson start or does Rennie throw Holloway in at 6? Finegan MKII!
For mine Cooper starts if fit.
The back three most likely will be Koreibete, Banks and Kellaway but Petaia could also be in the mix.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Banks or Petaia seems to be the biggest call. IMHO Rennie has to start Petaia sooner or later. Might as well be sooner, if he is fully fit and ready to roll.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
There's a reason we almost won against the All Blacks with Hodge at 10. The Wallabies and the back line can actually perform when you have a fly half that takes the ball to the line and ensures the defensive line isn't able to just drift and stifle the opposition.

Quade, James and Noah all keep their shoulders straight and their first foot action is forward rather than lateral.

Going sideways might work playing against QPR and Shute Shield cowboys in Austin, but Mo'ounga and Beauden have shown going straight is where you carve the opposition up.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Banks or Petaia seems to be the biggest call. IMHO Rennie has to start Petaia sooner or later. Might as well be sooner, if he is fully fit and ready to roll.
I disagree - he will bide his time, he's a good option for no.23 and can cover 13, wing and FB.

No need to rush to 'start' him. Not sure how being the no.2 Reds fullback makes you the no.1 Wallabies fullback.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I disagree - he will bide his time, he's a good option for no.23 and can cover 13, wing and FB.

No need to rush to 'start' him. Not sure how being the no.2 Reds fullback makes you the no.1 Wallabies fullback.
You have to develop a new test fullback with Banks leaving to Japan and Hodge out of the squad. Maybe Rennie knows something we don't, perhaps Kerevi, QC (Quade Cooper) or Koroi will return to Super Rugby making Banks elegible for next WC

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yes. Sadly Matt Giteau is not available for selection. If he was he might struggle to push Kerevi out of 12? Possibly slot in at 10.

Our starting 15 looks to pretty much choose itself. There will be a couple of tight calls.
Hooker, I would start FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) with Lonergan off the bench but would not be disappointed if Porecki started. Lonergan is the bench dude either way.
In the back row do both Valentini and Wilson start or does Rennie throw Holloway in at 6? Finegan MKII!
The back three most likely will be Koreibete, Banks and Kellaway but Petaia could also be in the mix.
I think Holloway is a bench flex option a best

With Banks leaving and not really locking down the 15 spot, Petaia - he has looked his best in the Super Rugby @ 15 (and no worse than Banks)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I don't think so. Last year it I thought Rennie basically said Petaia would have more utility value if he had experience at 15. I don't think the outright plan was to make Petaia an out and out fullback, although if all went well that could happen, but now he is a pretty damn good bench option.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Hooker, I would start FF (Folau Fainga'a) (Folau Fainga'a) with Lonergan off the bench but would not be disappointed if Porecki started. Lonergan is the bench dude either way.

Too soon for Lonergan, I'm surprise he's not in Aus A to be honest. I like Porecki as a starter seems to have the best line-out throw.

I actually think Locks are going to be a tight call too. Phillip and Swain most likely. After Neville's brain-fart in the semi-final diving over the ruck he's gone down my pecking order, I hope to see Holloway anywhere in the 23 or Frost off the bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
You have to develop a new test fullback with Banks leaving to Japan and Hodge out of the squad. Maybe Rennie knows something we don't, perhaps Kerevi, Quade Cooper or Koroi will return to Super Rugby making Banks elegible for next WC

I'm surprised Campbell wasn't picked for this reason. Will surely be in Aus A.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm surprised Campbell wasn't picked for this reason. Will surely be in Aus A.
The worst-case scenario: Banks isn't available due injury, suspension or whatever. You don't have a fullback who has played all the season at 15.

Which are the options? Kellaway? Wright? Petaia? For me Jock Campbell is the safest bet. Kellaway has played at centre/wing. Wright has played all the season at the wing and Petaia was similar to Kellaway, most of the season at centre/wing, I don't know how many games he has played at 15. Less than Campbell who has been the starter Reds fullback mostly all the season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Swain will start at one of the lock spots but I think Holloway is right in the frame against Philip for the other starting role.

Lonergan is a chance for the bench. His ability to inject pace into the game definitely has upside there. The performance he put in against the Hurricanes was excellent.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is worth remembering Jones is creating a much more athletic mobile set of pigs than they used to be

Reactions: Ged